Denied claim for reimbursement of rebooked return flight cost after Delta refuses to print my boarding pass

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 30, 2019
This is an interesting case.

I am curious. The OP refers him to himself as a "Delta Platinum" member. Is he referring to the credit card (ie Delta Platinum AmEx) or does he have platinum medallion status? That is a big difference and may explain why Delta wasn't more accommodating in YYZ.

If the OP does have platinum medallion status, I'm surprised the agent wasn't more accommodating. Ultimately, whether he gets reimbursement for the cost of the newly purchased tickets will likely come down to his past "history" (ie how much revenue he generated AND how many exceptions to the rules were granted)
Good point. Having a Delta Platinum AMEX aloe does not suggest high revenue / loyalty / etc.

Reactions: Neil Maley

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You may be correct @Skippy, but I left that out for a reason. Citing Platinum level membership could back fire, as it may give the impression that wynstonnw considers himself "an elitist" who is "above the rules". Moreover, Delta could also respond by thinking "a Platinum member should know better".

It is risky, I think, but worth considering . . .
I agree with both of you ... when I'm looking for help with a hotel or airline where I have status, I merely include "Diamond #123334433" after my name at the very end of the email. Kinda like an identification rather than a comment on myself.

Chris in NC made a GREAT catch on the "platinum" business. I too assumed that meant status with Delta and wondered how things went so sideways. But if it's just the AmEx, the story becomes more understandable. And my advice perhaps not so applicable.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019
It is not Delta that shuts down the check-in process at 1 hour, but the US Government which has to check all passenger names against suspected non-desirables before the plane is cleared to leave the gate in Canada.

Dec 31, 2019
Especially since Delta already refunded the flights they didn't take (even though it's likely they were non-refundable.) He is challenging the charge for the flights they DID take. There is zero chance to win this chargeback under credit card rules.

Worse, it may harm the goodwill he will need to get some consideration for the increased cost of the new tickets. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised that Delta wouldn't put a platinum elite on the new routing after he missed the flight.
The Delta agent said there was no new routing at all. Not that day and not the next day. Of course, that was incorrect as I booked the new route myself.

Dec 31, 2019
This is an interesting case.

I am curious. The OP refers him to himself as a "Delta Platinum" member. Is he referring to the credit card (ie Delta Platinum AmEx) or does he have platinum medallion status? That is a big difference and may explain why Delta wasn't more accommodating in YYZ.

If the OP does have platinum medallion status, I'm surprised the agent wasn't more accommodating. Ultimately, whether he gets reimbursement for the cost of the newly purchased tickets will likely come down to his past "history" (ie how much revenue he generated AND how many exceptions to the rules were granted)

If the original YYZ-SLC segment was only $400, this is obviously a deeply discounted fare and likely non-refundable. So, Delta already has made a concession by refunding the unused segment. It is also believable that there were no other flights to the US at the time the agent checked, and flights opened up later when the OP checked. After all, he was traveling during peak travel season.

Maybe a sympathetic executive will offer more, but I certainly would not fault Delta if they hold firm here. The itinerary self-booked was an "illegal" connection.
Both. I am a Delta Platinum Medallion and have a Delta Platinum AmEx.

Dec 31, 2019
I resubmitted my refund request pretty much as VoR61 suggested,
Good suggestion. See my edited version above . . .
I also closed my dispute of charges on the AmEx card as suggested by Skippy and others on this thread. When I resubmitted my claim, I chose to not mention the Delta Platinum Medallion. I thought by listing my frequent flyer number, the claims person would probably look me up. Two days later, the claim was approved by email. The full refund hit my AmEx card this morning. Thank you all for your advise. I learned a lot.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States

I also closed my dispute of charges on the AmEx card as suggested by Skippy and others on this thread. When I resubmitted my claim, I chose to not mention the Delta Platinum Medallion. I thought by listing my frequent flyer number, the claims person would probably look me up. Two days later, the claim was approved by email. The full refund hit my AmEx card this morning. Thank you all for your advise. I learned a lot.
Outstanding, and well done!

Last edited:

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015

That is great news! It's always inspiring to hear when things work out! Happy New Year!

JoV

Nov 25, 2019
What does the commentariat think of modifying bullet point 3 to say: "We arrived in Toronto 1.5 hours before the scheduled departure time of our Salt Lake City flight, and arrived at the Delta Sky Priority Counter 1.25 hours ahead of the departure time. However, we did not get to the front of the line until 53 minutes to go."
This is what I thought. The 53 minutes only figures as "seeing an agent 53 minutes prior to departure".
It would make sense to have some sort of emergency lane at the airlines for just such case.
Once I arrived at Newark aiport really early (those were times you could show up 30 minutes prior to and still get on, 10 minutes prior to departure one might loose their seat in the 90s). The line was 2 hours long. After an hour of waiting patiently 90 minutes I asked a person to hold my place and walked to the counter saying my flight leaves in 15 minutes. Thankfully that was prior to 9/11 so no TSA, so I was able to raise my voice with my plight - polite and gently panicky.

At that time that worked. I was whisked in to catch the flight. But today I might have ended in TSA handcuffs. Really wondering what should have this passenger do besides wasting over 1/2 hour in line, and then be told the ticket printing system is locked already.

M42

Jul 2, 2018
This is what I thought. The 53 minutes only figures as "seeing an agent 53 minutes prior to departure".
It would make sense to have some sort of emergency lane at the airlines for just such case.
Once I arrived at Newark aiport really early (those were times you could show up 30 minutes prior to and still get on, 10 minutes prior to departure one might loose their seat in the 90s). The line was 2 hours long. After an hour of waiting patiently 90 minutes I asked a person to hold my place and walked to the counter saying my flight leaves in 15 minutes. Thankfully that was prior to 9/11 so no TSA, so I was able to raise my voice with my plight - polite and gently panicky.

At that time that worked. I was whisked in to catch the flight. But today I might have ended in TSA handcuffs. Really wondering what should have this passenger do besides wasting over 1/2 hour in line, and then be told the ticket printing system is locked already.

I had an issue like that about 10 years ago at MCO. Was at the airport 3 1/2 hours early for my flight to Canada. The line up at Air Canada was horrendous and it took us more than 2.5 hours to get through. Barely made the flight. Did get bumped on the flight from Toronto back home as the MCO agents weren't able to print our boarding passes. The agents couldn't check us in for our connection and we ended up stranded in TO.

• Wow
Reactions: JoV