Denied claim for reimbursement of rebooked return flight cost after Delta refuses to print my boarding pass

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Was this even a legal connection in Toronto? The KLM flight arrives at 3:35 and the DL flight departs at 5:00. Neither Delta or KLM will book it on their site.

If it's not, the point about a single PNR isn't as compelling. In fact, DL may be being nice by even refunding the original fare.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
According to Flightera, while KLM691 departed AMS 4 minutes late on 12/20, it actually arrived in Toronto 37 minutes early (2:58PM vs a scheduled arrival of 3:35PM). This would explain how OP could reach the Delta counter at 3:45PM after clearing customs. But without the early arrival, it wouldn't even have been close.

Jun 24, 2019
I just tried some sample bookings on Delta from AMS to SLC. Delta shows no combination through Toronto. The shortest connect time is 1 hour 27 minutes in MSP. 1:27 seems tight, but, hey, Delta offers it so it's Delta's problem. And, if you are stuck in MSP, Mall of America is nearby. KLM shows no connections in Toronto. The shortest connection time is also 1:31 in MSP. Running it as a multi-city to force the choice of Toronto shows no combination of AMS -YYZ-SLC. All connections to YYZ then connect to a one-stop, including our OP's choice of connecting in ATL.

I defer to the travel professionals here but I think that Delta's position is going to be that the connection time was too tight on two PNRs, and that Delta/KLM would never have booked this combination.

Reactions: Patina

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thank you all for your efforts. I am edging up to the reality that at some point the time to recover the $2k extra spent, won't be worth my time. Does anyone have experience with the odds in small claims court? It seems like Delta wouldn't even show up for the court hearing, but I have been wrong about most things here.
Since you had two separate tickets, you do not have any claim to take to court. You decided on the connection time by booking separate tickets, and neither Delta nor KLM is responsible for the missed connection. Delta would have taken you where it was supposed to if you arrived on time, but is not in any way responsible for the missed connection. KLM delivered you to the destination you chose and therefore discharged its responsibilities as well. Any money you receive will be goodwill money, not something you are owed.

Jun 24, 2019
Delta's web site says the minimum required checkin time at Toronto Airport is 90 minutes before departure, probably to accommodate the fact that you need to clear US customs in Canada. So even allowing you to check in 60 minutes before departure appears to be a concession.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/check-in-security/check-in-time-requirements/international-check-in
The 90 minutes is the time to be at the check-in desk. Delta still advises on international flights to be at the airport 3 hours ahead of time. The check-in provcess will close at 60 minutes, something the agent has no control over.

May 30, 2019
I have filed a claim with AmEx.
A couple incremental thoughts ...

1) For reasons explained above regarding separate tickets, the OP should not expect the claim with AMEX to result in a refund. In fact, it might be prudent to withdraw the claim as you are most likely going to have it denied, get a chargeback, etc.

2) In the email drafted by @VoR61, it would help to mention that the OP is a Delta Plat and intends to continue to be a customer but would appreciate their consideration of this unique situation.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
OUCH! This is just awful. Delta has generally good customer service, so please take VoR's advice and ask. You touched on so many "no-no's" but by such small margins. I think a good campaign will get them to give you back YOUR money, it's the right thing to do. SoCal has phrased it just right ... get the facts out there in a completely non-accusatory way. Be very appreciative, be as concise as possible but be sure your issue is understood with one read-through. You see by all our questions just exactly what's important ... all the details of booking directly with DL, one PNR, international checkin differences from domestic, etc ... use all this new knowledge as you compose your letter. Take responsibility for all "your grievious errors" and throw yourself on their mercy.

I have never been in a situation just like this, but I think that I would march up to the one agent and ask politely if I could check in right now, or lose my whole flight home. People might grumble, but it ain't gonna kill them, and we are talking about thousands of dollars here.

Reactions: Neil Maley

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
In the email drafted by @VoR61, it would help to mention that the OP is a Delta Plat and intends to continue to be a customer but would appreciate their consideration of this unique situation.
You may be correct @Skippy, but I left that out for a reason. Citing Platinum level membership could back fire, as it may give the impression that wynstonnw considers himself "an elitist" who is "above the rules". Moreover, Delta could also respond by thinking "a Platinum member should know better".

It is risky, I think, but worth considering . . .

Reactions: jsn55 and Skippy

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
A couple incremental thoughts ...

1) For reasons explained above regarding separate tickets, the OP should not expect the claim with AMEX to result in a refund. In fact, it might be prudent to withdraw the claim as you are most likely going to have it denied, get a chargeback, etc.

2) In the email drafted by @VoR61, it would help to mention that the OP is a Delta Plat and intends to continue to be a customer but would appreciate their consideration of this unique situation.
The problem with the chargeback is Delta did nothing wrong. You booked separate tickets without adequate connections. You could find yourself banned from flying Delta for a false chargeback.

If I were in your shoes- I would call AmEx and cancel the dispute.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
The problem with the chargeback is Delta did nothing wrong. You booked separate tickets without adequate connections. You could find yourself banned from flying Delta for a false chargeback.

If I were in your shoes- I would call AmEx and cancel the dispute.
Especially since Delta already refunded the flights they didn't take (even though it's likely they were non-refundable.) He is challenging the charge for the flights they DID take. There is zero chance to win this chargeback under credit card rules.

Worse, it may harm the goodwill he will need to get some consideration for the increased cost of the new tickets. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised that Delta wouldn't put a platinum elite on the new routing after he missed the flight.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Especially since Delta already refunded the flights they didn't take (even though it's likely they were non-refundable.) He is challenging the charge for the flights they DID take. There is zero chance to win this chargeback under credit card rules.

Worse, it may harm the goodwill he will need to get some consideration for the increased cost of the new tickets. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised that Delta wouldn't put a platinum elite on the new routing after he missed the flight.
They would have if they were on one ticket. But I agree they should have been a bit more courteous to him based on his status.

Aug 30, 2015
That's your problem. If they were all on one PNR then Delta would have rebooked you due to the KLM flight being late. Since they were separate you being late is all on you - regardless of the reason you're responsible. A 1.5 hour connection is WAY too little when your connection is booked on a separate ticket - especially when you're dealing with international (in Toronto you have to clear Canadian customs and then clear US as well).
Generally when connecting to the USA from an international arrival in Toronto, you can go directly to US customs and then to your US bound flight, but if you are flying from the USA to Europe for example, you have to clear Canadian Customs then go to the European flight. This is because Toronto has a US customs Pre-clearance area that you can go into without entering Canada and it is set up for you to do this generally. Note: I have travelled from Europe to the USA via Toronto and back to Europe through Toronto and have done this personally.

Reactions: Pixie Pie and VoR61

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Generally when connecting to the USA from an international arrival in Toronto, you can go directly to US customs and then to your US bound flight, but if you are flying from the USA to Europe for example, you have to clear Canadian Customs then go to the European flight. This is because Toronto has a US customs Pre-clearance area that you can go into without entering Canada and it is set up for you to do this generally. Note: I have travelled from Europe to the USA via Toronto and back to Europe through Toronto and have done this personally.
Good to know, thanks. So far I've only flown to/from Canada and the US so I'm well aware of going through US before you board a flight out. But I hadn't flown into Canada from elsewhere and onto the US and was just going based on signs I've seen after landing. I've debated connecting through Canada from Europe so it's good to know - global entry gets me through US customs fast but not Canadian.

Dec 19, 2014
This is an interesting case.

I am curious. The OP refers him to himself as a "Delta Platinum" member. Is he referring to the credit card (ie Delta Platinum AmEx) or does he have platinum medallion status? That is a big difference and may explain why Delta wasn't more accommodating in YYZ.

If the OP does have platinum medallion status, I'm surprised the agent wasn't more accommodating. Ultimately, whether he gets reimbursement for the cost of the newly purchased tickets will likely come down to his past "history" (ie how much revenue he generated AND how many exceptions to the rules were granted)

If the original YYZ-SLC segment was only $400, this is obviously a deeply discounted fare and likely non-refundable. So, Delta already has made a concession by refunding the unused segment. It is also believable that there were no other flights to the US at the time the agent checked, and flights opened up later when the OP checked. After all, he was traveling during peak travel season.

Maybe a sympathetic executive will offer more, but I certainly would not fault Delta if they hold firm here. The itinerary self-booked was an "illegal" connection.

Aug 30, 2015
Good to know, thanks. So far I've only flown to/from Canada and the US so I'm well aware of going through US before you board a flight out. But I hadn't flown into Canada from elsewhere and onto the US and was just going based on signs I've seen after landing. I've debated connecting through Canada from Europe so it's good to know - global entry gets me through US customs fast but not Canadian.
Well, it is how it is with the flights I took in Toronto. If I were a person who needed a visa to enter either country, I would not use this information as verbatim, but I know of at least one family that arrived in Toronto, went through Canadian customs by mistake, then had to go through American customs, and pretty much missed their flight, so it is important to pay attention to the signs.

Reactions: justlisa and VoR61