Delta Shifts Blame, Denies Culpability

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 17, 2020
Flew to Cancún in mid-January from MSP; had one piece of checked baggage, carefully packed and secured. Got to hotel in Cancún, opened suitcase and discovered that Delta's baggage handlers at MSP had rifled through it and made a mess, and took a 5 oz. sealed bottle of facial cleanser, opened it, poured nearly the entire bottle on all of my clothes, then sealed the bottle, tossed it back in the suitcase and closed it, sending it into the cargo hold. The cleanser is harmless to skin, but it has a bleaching effect on fabric, so every item I packed for my trip was ruined.

Upon notifying Delta of this immediately, they had the audacity to blame me for putting the item in the suitcase as required by TSA, then tried to blame it on a hole in the bottle, then claimed they couldn't do anything until I could give them photographs of the damaged items, or go to their baggage area at the airport in Cancún and show them the damage, then wait for some unknown amount of time for reimbursement, if any. They refused to admit the obvious: that their employee did the deed and they were responsible for the actions of their employees.

So they single-handedly ruined my trip, and I did request a refund for my entire fare for their actions. Of course, they balked at that, claiming that I had used my ticket. Of course I used it, for there would have been no other way to get back to the U.S. if I had not; it doesn't negate the fact that they ruined the trip. Moreover, upon returning, I ended up fainting at the airport, striking my head on a Delta sign, which lacerated it, causing a lot of blood to be spilled and being taken to the ER for that.

All in all, not something I wish to repeat, and I definitely won't be inclined to fly Delta again.

Does Mr. Elliott, or anyone else have any surefire ways to get Delta to take responsibility for their screwups?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’m sorry this happened but Delta employees aren’t not the ones who scan and remove items from your bag- it was TSA employees. Delta doesn’t owe you a refund of your ticket- they did what they were contracted to do.

You should re-direct your complaint to the TSA. This is how to file a complaint:

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Flew to Cancún in mid-January from MSP; had one piece of checked baggage, carefully packed and secured. Got to hotel in Cancún, opened suitcase and discovered that Delta's baggage handlers at MSP had rifled through it and made a mess, and took a 5 oz. sealed bottle of facial cleanser, opened it, poured nearly the entire bottle on all of my clothes, then sealed the bottle, tossed it back in the suitcase and closed it, sending it into the cargo hold. The cleanser is harmless to skin, but it has a bleaching effect on fabric, so every item I packed for my trip was ruined.

Upon notifying Delta of this immediately, they had the audacity to blame me for putting the item in the suitcase as required by TSA, then tried to blame it on a hole in the bottle, then claimed they couldn't do anything until I could give them photographs of the damaged items, or go to their baggage area at the airport in Cancún and show them the damage, then wait for some unknown amount of time for reimbursement, if any. They refused to admit the obvious: that their employee did the deed and they were responsible for the actions of their employees.

So they single-handedly ruined my trip, and I did request a refund for my entire fare for their actions. Of course, they balked at that, claiming that I had used my ticket. Of course I used it, for there would have been no other way to get back to the U.S. if I had not; it doesn't negate the fact that they ruined the trip. Moreover, upon returning, I ended up fainting at the airport, striking my head on a Delta sign, which lacerated it, causing a lot of blood to be spilled and being taken to the ER for that.

All in all, not something I wish to repeat, and I definitely won't be inclined to fly Delta again.

Does Mr. Elliott, or anyone else have any surefire ways to get Delta to take responsibility for their screwups?
Was the bottle sealed in a plastic bag? Unfortunately, pressure changes in the cargo hold can easily cause liquids to squirt out of a bottle in your luggage. This was probably the cause and not some "person". It will happen again on any airline.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
How exactly do you know that "Delta's baggage handlers at MSP had rifled through it and made a mess, and took a 5 oz. sealed bottle of facial cleanser, opened it, poured nearly the entire bottle on all of my clothes, then sealed the bottle, tossed it back in the suitcase and closed it, sending it into the cargo hold." That is quite the accusation without any proof! As @Neil Maley stated, TSA is the one that does security screening of luggage not the airline's employees.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
And as weihlac stated - if the bottle wasn't sealed in a plastic bag, the air pressure also could have caused it to leak. I have had that happen to me which is why we always put any liquids in two plastic bags, one inside the other, when we fly.

Was there a note inside the suitcase from TSA saying they opened your bag?

Reactions: VoR61