Delta pilfered luggage and 12 hour delay and denied claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 22, 2020
I flew from DAY to ATL last month. Delta was in possession of my baggage for 12 hours due to flight delay. I arrived in ATL after 11pm. As I am disabled a nice gentleman who was seated near me on the flight lifted my rollabord off the baggage carousel. I then was picked up by Uber and transported to the hotel and the valet delivered my bag to my room and placed it on the bed. I opened the bag and immediately saw the items I had placed on the top portion of the bag were missing. I had to call down to the front desk for a toothbrush and was missing items such as haircare items (blowdryer and flat iron) and a belt, scarf and shower cap, brush and hair clips. I even had to ask my daughter for some items the next morning. With my daughter's assistance I phoned Delta lost baggage and was given a claim number and asked a couple of cursory questions then told I had 30 days to file a claim. While still in ATL I looked at the claim form (on a small iPhone) and saw that I would be required to provide receipts. I opted to wait until I returned home so that I had the proper documentation.
When I completed the form I took screen captures of receipts for items that has been purchased online which incidentally included other items purchased at the same time but not pilfered nor included in my claim to Delta.

Shortly after submitting the claim a representative Charles Clunes (a google search shows a lot of evidence of hostile, abusive and accusatory tone used in all of his correspondence with. customers regarding lost baggage claims) sent a letter denying the claim based on the following:

A. bag weighed 25 lbs and I stated on the Delta form it weighed 30 lbs. I DID NOT HAVE A BAGGAGE SCALE, THERE WAS NO OPTION TO ESTIMATE AND MY ESTIMATE WAS A GUESS SINCE I NEVER HANDLED THE FULL BAG

B. You did not report the items missing before I left the airport: I had no knowledge of missing items until I opened suitcase at hotel. I reported items missing within the Delta stated policy of 7 days and received a claim number.

c. You had to have noticed the difference in weight since you sent in a claim with over 30 missing items. MY CLAIM HAD 9 MISSING ITEMS, MOST RELATIVELY SMALL. THE RECEIPTS INCIDENTALLY HAD PHOTOS OF OTHER ITEMS AS THEY WERE PURCHASED AT THE SAME TIME AS THE MISSING ITEMS BUT ONLY 9 WERE PUT ON THE CLAIM FORM FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL MISSING ITEMS.

d.You. called to report 3 missing items. UNTRUE.

e. The receipts are not verifiable and do not prove definitive ownership/purchase. I PROVIDED THE ORDER RECEIPTS COMPLETE WITH MY NAME, ADDRESS AND CREDIT CARD INFORMATION FOR THE MISSING ITEMS.

f. You. attested to the fact that you do hereby warrant. the statement contained herring including the values placed upon the articles enumerated able to the full complete and turn yet you made a false declaration you did not have previous claims with the airlines. AFTER SOME BACK AND FORTH WITH CHARLES, HE STATED I HAD A CLAIM FOR A LOST ITEM 5 YEARS PRIOR. I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OR RECOLLECTION OF THE PRIOR CLAIM. CHARLES REFUSES TO PROVIDE ANY INFORMATION REGARDING THE LOSS. MOREOEVER I AM DISABLED AND SUFFER MODERATE TO SEVERE COGNITIVE IMPAIRMENT AND OFFERRED TO PROVIDE THE MEDICAL REPORT COMPLETED AFTER 24 HOURS OF NEURO COGNITIVE TESTING.

Charles concluded that my inconsistencies made it hard to arrive at a positive decision and all attempts to reach the claim manager and anyone higher up at Delta via your contacts, and social media have failed. I believe that his responses are outrageous, he has refused to provide the requested provisions in Delta's policy that I have requested regarding the following:

The provision stating that the passenger is required to carry a baggage scale or know the exact weight of the bag.
The requirement to report missing items at the airport immediately (Delta policy online states 7 days to report)
The opportunity to provide any other information since the form consists of checked boxes for responses
Charles proof that I claimed 30 missing items. I have photographic evidence of the claim I submitted with 9 items on the claim form so this is a lie by the claim manager in an attempt to characterize me as a liar and absolve Delta of their obligation to reimburse.
The provision in their policy that states what form of proof they need for the value of a lost item
Proof of a prior claim, date, value
The provision stating that if customers unknowingly and unintentionally state one correct piece of information the reimbursement for lost items is invalid.

I WILL NOTE THE FLIGHT WAS DELAYED 12 HOURS DUE IN PART TO A MECHANICAL FAILURE AS DELTA HAD NO MECHANIC AVAILABLE AT DAY AND HAD TO CALL IN A CONTRACT MECHANIC TO DO A SIMPLE REPAIR OF PUTTING HYDRAULIC FLUID INTO THE PLANE SOMETHING THE CREW WAS HAPPY TO GIVE A BLOW BY BLOW TO THE PASSENGERS FOR AND CAUSED AN ENTIRE PLANE FULL OF PASSENGERS TO MISS THEIR ATLANTA CONNECTIONS (CAUSING FINANCIAL HARDSHIPS FOR HOTELS, CRUISES ETC(. DETAL VOLUNTARILY DEPOSITED 5000 MILES INTO MY FREQUENT FLYER ACCOUNT BECAUSE OF THE OUTRAGEOUSNESS OF THE MECHANICAL DELAY.

AND MY BAG WAS IN THE POSSESSION OF DELTA AT DAY UNTIL DELIVERERD TO THE BAGGAGE CAROUSEL 12 HOURS LATER

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Dec 19, 2014
Can you answer the following questions?
- Was the bag in your possession at all times after you picked it up from the baggage claim? You mention that you have the hotel valet picked up the bag and delivered it to your hotel room? How can you be 100% certain that Delta removed items from your bag?

- What specific items were missing? What is the item with the largest value?
Based on your initial response, it seem like some of the items missing were items like a toothbrush, hair clip, etc.) Can you clarify what 9 items you are claiming?

Reactions: Skippy and VoR61
Feb 22, 2020
Can you answer the following questions?
- Was the bag in your possession at all times after you picked it up from the baggage claim? You mention that you have the hotel valet picked up the bag and delivered it to your hotel room? How can you be 100% certain that Delta removed items from your bag?

- What specific items were missing? What is the item with the largest value?
Based on your initial response, it seem like some of the items missing were items like a toothbrush, hair clip, etc.) Can you clarify what 9 items you are claiming?
The hotel valet took the bag out of the Uber trunk while I was standing there put it on a baggage cart while I checked in with my ID at hotel and the cart was next to me. He then accompanied me to the room and placed the checked bag on one of the beds so yes, it eee with me the entire time and the only time it was even out of sight was in the Uber trunk but I wanted the driver put it in and out of the car.

Most of my toiletries stay packed ina CALPAK case which was at the bottom of my checked bag. I had packing cubes with my jeans and sweaters on the other side of the bag. After I finished getting ready the day of departure I put my hairdryer,l belt and scarf in the top at the last minute because I changed my mind about my travel clothing based on a drastic weather change and the flu outbreak. I opted for more practical and warmer clothing based on the twin that was forecast and I had a large scarf and a mask over my head to protect myself per my doctor’s orders as ATL has just been declared a screening center for corona.
After the 12 hour delay with 3 of it sitting in a plane I was super happy for the added protection as many people were coughing and clearly ill.
Long way to say I opted for practical over stylish and out a couple of nice items in my checked bag (belt and shawl) and the hairdryer I needed to use the morning of departure, shower ceo, hair clips, electric toothbrush I use daily and the flat iron that was cooling off and placed in last minute.

thst is the consistent thing about the missing items: they were not in my CALPAK case at the bottom of the bag nor in packing cubes since they were added last minute and I am angry at myself for doing that.
Still, I couldnt have carried them on as I didn’t have room with my meds, glasses etc in my carry on. As I stated before I I am disabled and suffer from several autoimmune diseases so staying healthy was more important.

Feb 22, 2020
The crew opted for a much longer route to avoid mountains as I am sure they were very concerned about the hydraulic failure and with only a contracted mechanic who was doing the repair via FaceTime with delta tech ops were being cautious in case of an inflight emergency. The hydraulics on the left side of that particular aircraft can cause dome disastrous failures.

I haven’t even addressed the calls to the hotel and how nice they were to accommodate me when I didn’t arrive to the hotel until after midnight and it was a prepaid room.

Attachments

Feb 22, 2020
the flight is normally 1:10. You can see from the flight time we were on the plane for hours while they tracked down one mechanic

Feb 22, 2020
I will add that none of this was upsetting to me as stuff happens but I can tell you the other passengers re extremely unhappy that they were not permitted off the plane to get on a semi empty connection to Detroit that departed long before our flight did. So this mechanical issue and keeping pax on the plane beduee they refused to pull bets and out them on the other flight made lots of pax unhappy. I wasn’t upset as ATL was my destination even after waiting 12 hours. As long as the hotel didn’t cancel my reservation I was fine although I missed out on a day just before my daughter got married :(. It was too important to this mama to be upset or get her upset.

Sep 19, 2015
Was there a TSA note or anything similar == the reason I ask this is that the items that are missing -- hair dryer, flat iron, hair clips, shower cap, are not the type of things that people normally steal.

There are only a few complaints on twitter about Charles at Delta, and it seems that the twitter team clarified that one person had not sent in clear copies of receipts.

Could there have been some confusion as to the number of items as the receipts had other items that were not being claimed?

Can you search your email to see if you have made a claim to Delta before?

Feb 22, 2020
NO TSA tag whatsoever and I was shocked since I almost always used to have a tag in my bag. Perhaps that changed with TSA pre/global entry? Side note: I still get the secondary search and have to remove belts, shoes, jackets etc just as normal pax so. My husband never gets secondary screening and we are baffled why this happens in every flight. Therefore I continue to pack my toiletries in my checked baggage and wear East to remove shoes and no belt.
Disappointing for sure.

no email and I keep very careful records of things like that. That claim manager said it was from 5 years ago and my husband and I are racking our brains to recall what the claim was for. Zero recollection and he has a mind like a steel trap whereas I can’t timber what happened a week ago with my
impairment.makes for some interdict marital dialogue. Lol

the confusion is entirely in Charles as there is a separate and distinct box to list each item separately which, thank God, I was smart enough to screen capture as I was doing the claim! So no confusion in my smart. I would think at best sloppy claim management by the claim manager assuming the many photos of scrrrn captured receipts were items I was claiming!

I have had too many back and for the with this manager for him not to have taken a look and see that there were only 9 items claimed! Zero excuse for this then to accuse me of lying I’d beyond the pale. I have proof of the claim I submitted. 9 vs his lying and there were 30!!!! I mean I’d you are going to lie use a number closer to the 9 I submitted! Maybe 15? Why 30???

Feb 22, 2020
I am in the process of assisting my fldsightrr choose travel insurance as she will be going abroad in a couple of eeekendor her delayed honeymoon and Mexico later this year.
Is it possible for her to get an annual policy that would provide medical coverage (her own health insurance provides coverage abroad as her fee is an airline pilot but she would need coverage for a medical evacuation etc) and a regular trip indirect policy that provided coverage for cancellations and reimbursements of travel expenses?
I guess going forward I will have to purchase some sort of travel insurance since an airline can not be trusted with my everyday items in checked baggage. I didn’t not pack 50k worth or jewelry or an expensive laptop ther ernt missing. My everyday wardrobe included nice items and sometimes those are in my luggage depending on my destination. My physical ability to carry on much weight is very limited. I must check baggage. But I refuse to go to a thrift store for my clothing items or accessories or buy a $15 hairdryer to accomodwtr an airline that delays a flight 12 hours And gives them opportunity to politer los items on the top of my baggage not secured by a cosmetics case or packing cubes. Why would an airline have a policy of reimbursement of pilfered items and a dollar limit if they refuse to reimburse?

Feb 22, 2020
I had tread I would get bounced back and forth. Wouldn’t the TSA have had the bag taken at the Delta counter for a very short time relative to the 12 hours total time Delta had it?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I had tread I would get bounced back and forth. Wouldn’t the TSA have had the bag taken at the Delta counter for a very short time relative to the 12 hours total time Delta had it?
Delta never had it. The bags are held by the airport to be taken to your flight, not by the airline. There are plenty of stories about luggage handlers (who work for the airport, not the airline) at airports stealing items out of luggage. Do a google search and you’ll see.

This is why we use TSA luggage locks. While they aren’t foolproof, it’s a bit of a deterrent. If there is a dishonest luggage handler, I think they’ll look for an unlocked bag before one with a lock.

I would continue to fight with Delta but you should file a TSA claim as well.

Reactions: Skippy and VoR61
Feb 22, 2020
Thanks. I was also shuffled around on flights so they put the bag nearthe gate ready to load then didn’t to do st the last minute when they couldn’t get me on a flight (a whole other debacle). That isn’t a TSA issue. That would be a Delta issue, correct? Plus the contract of carriage would lead me to believe the responsibility would be delta since the bags made it past TSA rather quickly and to the gate. For weight and balance purposes is the only weighing of the bag done at the counter?

Feb 22, 2020
Side note: last spring I got the Delta Skymiles Gold Amex with s small fee for the SkyClub access. In January they stripped some of the benefits away. So I just upgraded to the platinum Skymiles Delta Amex.The ticket was charged to my Gold skymile Amex ans I believe there is a small baggage reimbursement. Would Delta be banking on my filing a claim for reimbursement through the card (I believe they pay up to $500)? Are they even smart enough to consider that? And also, since I don’t want to continue to fly delta which is dad as I have a family member who is a long time employee and can use buddy passes and upgrades I want to cancel the Delta platinum card but don’t want it to affect my credit score. Any thoughts?

May 30, 2019
Um ... There isn't a lot of love for Delta as well as several issues being added by the OP. I'll try to unpack and address a couple from Post #16.

Side note: last spring I got the Delta Skymiles Gold Amex with s small fee for the SkyClub access. In January they stripped some of the benefits away. So I just upgraded to the platinum Skymiles Delta Amex.The ticket was charged to my Gold skymile Amex ans I believe there is a small baggage reimbursement. Would Delta be banking on my filing a claim for reimbursement through the card (I believe they pay up to $500)? Are they even smart enough to consider that? And also, since I don’t want to continue to fly delta which is dad as I have a family member who is a long time employee and can use buddy passes and upgrades I want to cancel the Delta platinum card but don’t want it to affect my credit score. Any thoughts?
I think but I'm not sure that the OP wants to avoid DL but flies the airline because he/she has a family member with buddy benefits.

When you use Buddy Passes and Upgrades, you are expected to have a greater level of -- shall we say -- demeanor compared to full-revenue passengers. If you were using one of those benefits on this flight, your actions with this case can impact not only you but your dad. Thus, it would be in your best interests, IMHO, to talk with your employee family member about how you might want to pursue this further without damaging anyone's reputation.

How cancelling a card affects your credit score has a lot to do with various factors including the credit line with the card to be cancelled, your overall credit utilization and the age of the card. Here are 3 useful links:

Reactions: VoR61
Feb 22, 2020
I am well versed in pass etiquette. It isn’t my dad. It wasn’t a pass. The assumptions here are baffling. I purchased the ticket on my Delta Skymiles gold Amex. Full price. I actually used SWA all the time since I am an over packer due to medical issues in part. Never had one issue with baggage and all my bags were checked. I switched to Delta when my daughter worked for them and moved to ATL to attend college. Another family member works for them. My ex is a pilot for another airline. Family business is aviation. So nothing but love for them. They have great customer service IMO.
I am just baffled at 1. The tone the claim manager took straight away and it isn’t an isolated case of a nasty tone with this claims person and 2. Delta’s refusal to respond to my questions.
Side note: the same daughter who was employed by them was subjected to a pax masturbating beside her. She properly reported to the crew and they quickly moved her away from the offender and followed protocol to ensure my daughter had no further contact with the pervert. Yes this is a huge deal but we didn’t make it one because Delta handled it Professionally and made sure the passenger (my daughter) was taken care of and one can only hope perv needed up on a no fly list lol.