Dell Kicked Me To The Curb

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 2, 2020
Hello All,

I could post multiple things about my Experience with Dell, but To make things quicker I will just attach the Rough Letter I may be sending to Mr. Dell Via Registered Letter. If there is anyone one here, or anyone from Dell that may frequent this forum and can help that would be excellent, or if you can pass this along to Mr.Dell, even better. There is one pic of a tweet, and I am still waiting for a reply, over 3 weeks now. You have to Love that Dell cares & Pro Dell Cares Philosophies.......... There will be a companion piece as I can only attach 10 things at a time it seems.

Attachments

Apr 2, 2020
Apparently according to a dell rep the service tag(s) on their NEW ( Cough Cough ) XPS wore of, oddly my old 8 year old laptop still has it, as does my old dell 11 year old Inspiron, and my Tablets have them as well???

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If you'd like to explain your situation, perhaps we can advise you. Sending registered letters to Michael Dell is probably not the best way to start. We don't open attachments, so just tell us what happened.

Reactions: jayxcess
Apr 2, 2020
Well??? if you don't open attachments that are given to forum users while posting then why have the ability to attach files to the post in the first place?????

• Wow
Reactions: Skippy
Apr 2, 2020
Mr. Micheal Dell
Founder & CEO Dell Technologies
One Dell Way
Round Rock, Texas 78682
United States

Dear Mr. Dell,

My name is Robert MacDonald I am 53 years of age and I am an Interior/Exterior painter. I am Sorry to have to write you this letter however it is not something I was looking forward to doing, however due to the Product I received XPS Desktop PC and the way I was treated by those that work for your company (Product & Warranty Support) I had to do it to get my issues looked into properly and taken care of professionally. I have been trying to get these Product & Service issues resolved for some time now. However those I have spoken with don't seem to use the same brand of Logic or Professional thinking as I do when it come to how I Treat my customers, and how I thought I should be treated.

When it came time to replace my old PC (Dell Inspiron) I decided to Buy the Dell XPS Desktop as the people for Alienware didn’t seem to want to give a good price for theirs. When I got the XPS it seemed to be working good during the first month that I had it however, I started to notice that it sounded as though a screw was rattling around in my 2TB HDD. I called in to Warranty Support to inform them however the ones I was dealing with didn't pay any attention to my issue. I ended up having to go out and buy my own 1 TB HDD to replace what Dell support ignored me on. A little time passed and this NEW PC started to experience Blue Screen issues, I called into Warranty Support, and this person decided that the Motherboard needed replacement a tech was sent out and done so.

Some time went by and I again started having Blue Screen Issues and again I made another call to Warranty Support and they decided that the Motherboard needed to be replaced, again. It was at this time I made the request to Support for an exchange. I made this request by saying," Wouldn't it be much simpler to just give me a replacement PC that way we would know what we have and we wouldn't be chasing our tails with other issues that may arise later? " That logic and request was ignored and the Second Motherboard was installed, and it was after this install that the SSD (Mini) failed to work again or was broke during the procedure. Like the other issue I brought this to Dell Supports attention and I must have got the same individual I had before with the HDD because that was ignored.

Using the PC for a few months more I now started having Graphics issues and like the other calls I informed Dell Support and they decided to replace the graphics card. This seemed to fix the issue however it was a short while later and the issue returned again. And it was decided again the Graphics card to be replaced.

A Little time passed (Maybe a Week) and I once again had to call Dell Warranty Support and it was decided again to replace the Graphics Card. What is the old saying, " 3rd Time is a charm " hardly, I think they sent me the previous Graphics card, I had to call in again. It was at this point in time that the PC was getting close to it's year Warranty, but still in Warranty none the less. However Support dragged the issue out till such the time that the XPS became, Out Of Warranty, and then they washed their hands of me. I didn't even get a follow-up phone call with the option to extend my warranty. And I have been trying to get this resolved from the start but the defence on the part of those I was able to contact at Dell was, " It is out of Warranty " I tried to tell them I knew it was Out of Warranty that wasn't what I was calling about, I was calling to try and get someone to understand that I the Customer That had VALID WARRANTY had to go out and Buy my own parts to replace the ones they said they were Fixing my PC with, or plainly replace what they ignored me on when I brought those issues to their attention.

I tried to use Logic with the people I talked with and asked them, how would you feel if you bought a new car and you had to buy your own parts for it while in the Car manufacturers Warranty time frame, or that very car that you bought had no Vin Number on it? As did the XPS that was sold to me and it had No service tags on it anywhere, I told them I always had to access that info via the Bios of the PC, when it actually booted up, as it was a short while later that the PC failed to boot anymore and it sits in my closet now. If I had to put a time scale on it this NEW
(Cough, Cough) PC may have seen 6 months actual use. I honestly feel that I bought a PC that was slated for the refurbished Line and somehow I got it, as it has no service tags on it anywhere. When I told Support about this, the reply I got, " Well they must have wore off ".

I told this person that I have and Old Dell Inspiron and it still has the service tags on it, My old laptop I have to use instead of you XPS still has the service tag on it, and even my old Polaroid 10 inch tablet still has it on the back as do the 2 other new tablets I have. Those Service tags didn't, and/or haven't wore off.??? They had no answer for that? I also told them that if I would have used this PC with NO issues for the time of the Warranty and then it ran out and I was then trying to call up support and trying to pull a fast one over on support I would agree wholeheartedly with them telling me to go pound sand. That however wasn't the case, I had to go out and buy my own parts While in Valid Warranty time to replace what they wouldn't, or didn't with respect to the SSD that failed to work after the 2nd MOTB install that I voiced my opinion against but they did it anyway. I even used the example, that if they hired me to paint their home, how would they feel if I treated them with the same disrespect with Product and Customer Warranty issues. What would they want done, or how would they feel if the shoe was on their foot? That Logic like the rest went in one ear & out the other.

In closing Mr. Dell I would like to thank you for taking your time to read my grievance and I am sorry that a Dell Customer, and a returning Dell customer had to write this letter to inform you that there are people within your company that dropped the ball but they don't want to own up to the fact that they did, and it is my hope that when you read this that you will see what really happened. Even when I asked to be forwarded to someone higher in command, that request was ignored. I was told there was no one higher, I guess they forgot who they work for. I have enclosed some pictures that are self-explanatory and will give some indication of what I have experienced during all this. I have even been on the phone with support for so long at times and put on hold that my fully charged phone went dead. Or I was just hung up on, or I was given numbers under the guise that they were for someone higher in the chain of command, but they were either numbers not active anymore, for govt purposes, or just a number that was for regular Dell support.

If you spoke with someone from support they would try and tell you my experience was A1 and I was as Happy as a Lamb, they would tell you this because they wouldn't want you to know they dropped the ball, Dell took my money and gave me a Flawed product in return, Ignored me, and my wishes, and they basically said, " Yeah we took your money & gave you a flawed PC, good luck getting that higher in Command Help " They just wanted me to quietly go away. However, My Father (Now Gone) was a person that taught me Right is Right & Wrong is Wrong. When you mess up, you admit your mistake and make it right. When a customer you are doing work for, points out an issue with your work, you listen to that customer and if you messed up, you do what is right for the customer you don't ignore them or make excuses to wiggle out of your mistake.

I will close this letter by saying again, I am sorry that you have to read such a letter from a returning Dell customer, but the regular avenues failed exponentially, and I felt my hands were being tied and the people that I requested Higher Command from were not giving me honest information as to how they were doing their job to their superior, or you. I needed to tell you and make this request to you, for your help with this unfortunate situation. It is my hope that after you read this that you will say, Yes, someone that works for me dropped the ball severely, and see that I get a resolution to this and hopefully remain a Dell customer. However it may be your position to stand behind your employee(s) even in the light of their grievous error(s) that I have shared with you in this mail. If that is the case at least then I can say I tried and this customer will know where he stands on how you feel about such product issues and treatment of a returning customer, I can & will move on, but not for the lack of trying to resolve the issue.

Thank You again for taking your time to read this letter,

Respectfully, Robert K. MacDonald

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 2, 2020
Same letter in the attachments and if you want to see the pics of examples you'll have to look at them......

Apr 2, 2020
To the person that replied that you don't open attachments, I was given a warning that my post was being looked at for approval, so I would have to assume that that person who approves it, deems any attachments that any user puts in their posts safe for others to open???? Or again why have the option in the first place???

Jul 13, 2016
I think you need to shorten your letter. You can use the contacts for Dell to start over (click the Company Contacts Button, above and then see DELL, under computer manufacturers). You need to give specific information. Stay away from vague time frames like "a short while later."

Bullet points are easiest to read. Stick with the facts and avoid emotions and sarcasm. You want to make the person reading your letter want to help you. Once you have their attention, you can give them more specifics about the repairs.

Example:
date purchased
serial number of purchased unit
date of first failure and your fix
date of second failure (blue screen)
list of repairs (two motherboards, two graphics cards, and whatever else was replaced)
Your desired resolution

I would not advance your suspicions that your new computer was a refurbished one. The onus is on you to prove that statement and I doubt that you can do so. It is just something more that clutters your letter.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Mr. Micheal Dell Robert K. MacDonald
Founder & CEO Dell Technologies 65 Marie Ave., Apt# 212
One Dell Way Bridgewater Nova Scotia
Round Rock, Texas 78682 Canada, B4V-3H9
United States (902)543-3641
[email protected]

Dear Mr. Dell,

My name is Robert MacDonald I am 53 years of age and I am an Interior/Exterior painter. I am Sorry to have to write you this letter however it is not something I was looking forward to doing, however due to the Product I received XPS Desktop PC and the way I was treated by those that work for your company (Product & Warranty Support) I had to do it to get my issues looked into properly and taken care of professionally. I have been trying to get these Product & Service issues resolved for some time now. However those I have spoken with don't seem to use the same brand of Logic or Professional thinking as I do when it come to how I Treat my customers, and how I thought I should be treated.

When it came time to replace my old PC (Dell Inspiron) I decided to Buy the Dell XPS Desktop as the people for Alienware didn’t seem to want to give a good price for theirs. When I got the XPS it seemed to be working good during the first month that I had it however, I started to notice that it sounded as though a screw was rattling around in my 2TB HDD. I called in to Warranty Support to inform them however the ones I was dealing with didn't pay any attention to my issue. I ended up having to go out and buy my own 1 TB HDD to replace what Dell support ignored me on. A little time passed and this NEW PC started to experience Blue Screen issues, I called into Warranty Support, and this person decided that the Motherboard needed replacement a tech was sent out and done so.

Some time went by and I again started having Blue Screen Issues and again I made another call to Warranty Support and they decided that the Motherboard needed to be replaced, again. It was at this time I made the request to Support for an exchange. I made this request by saying," Wouldn't it be much simpler to just give me a replacement PC that way we would know what we have and we wouldn't be chasing our tails with other issues that may arise later? " That logic and request was ignored and the Second Motherboard was installed, and it was after this install that the SSD (Mini) failed to work again or was broke during the procedure. Like the other issue I brought this to Dell Supports attention and I must have got the same individual I had before with the HDD because that was ignored.

Using the PC for a few months more I now started having Graphics issues and like the other calls I informed Dell Support and they decided to replace the graphics card. This seemed to fix the issue however it was a short while later and the issue returned again. And it was decided again the Graphics card to be replaced.

A Little time passed (Maybe a Week) and I once again had to call Dell Warranty Support and it was decided again to replace the Graphics Card. What is the old saying, " 3rd Time is a charm " hardly, I think they sent me the previous Graphics card, I had to call in again. It was at this point in time that the PC was getting close to it's year Warranty, but still in Warranty none the less. However Support dragged the issue out till such the time that the XPS became, Out Of Warranty, and then they washed their hands of me. I didn't even get a follow-up phone call with the option to extend my warranty. And I have been trying to get this resolved from the start but the defence on the part of those I was able to contact at Dell was, " It is out of Warranty " I tried to tell them I knew it was Out of Warranty that wasn't what I was calling about, I was calling to try and get someone to understand that I the Customer That had VALID WARRANTY had to go out and Buy my own parts to replace the ones they said they were Fixing my PC with, or plainly replace what they ignored me on when I brought those issues to their attention.

I tried to use Logic with the people I talked with and asked them, how would you feel if you bought a new car and you had to buy your own parts for it while in the Car manufacturers Warranty time frame, or that very car that you bought had no Vin Number on it? As did the XPS that was sold to me and it had No service tags on it anywhere, I told them I always had to access that info via the Bios of the PC, when it actually booted up, as it was a short while later that the PC failed to boot anymore and it sits in my closet now. If I had to put a time scale on it this NEW
(Cough, Cough) PC may have seen 6 months actual use. I honestly feel that I bought a PC that was slated for the refurbished Line and somehow I got it, as it has no service tags on it anywhere. When I told Support about this, the reply I got, " Well they must have wore off ".

I told this person that I have and Old Dell Inspiron and it still has the service tags on it, My old laptop I have to use instead of you XPS still has the service tag on it, and even my old Polaroid 10 inch tablet still has it on the back as do the 2 other new tablets I have. Those Service tags didn't, and/or haven't wore off.??? They had no answer for that? I also told them that if I would have used this PC with NO issues for the time of the Warranty and then it ran out and I was then trying to call up support and trying to pull a fast one over on support I would agree wholeheartedly with them telling me to go pound sand. That however wasn't the case, I had to go out and buy my own parts While in Valid Warranty time to replace what they wouldn't, or didn't with respect to the SSD that failed to work after the 2nd MOTB install that I voiced my opinion against but they did it anyway. I even used the example, that if they hired me to paint their home, how would they feel if I treated them with the same disrespect with Product and Customer Warranty issues. What would they want done, or how would they feel if the shoe was on their foot? That Logic like the rest went in one ear & out the other.

In closing Mr. Dell I would like to thank you for taking your time to read my grievance and I am sorry that a Dell Customer, and a returning Dell customer had to write this letter to inform you that there are people within your company that dropped the ball but they don't want to own up to the fact that they did, and it is my hope that when you read this that you will see what really happened. Even when I asked to be forwarded to someone higher in command, that request was ignored. I was told there was no one higher, I guess they forgot who they work for. I have enclosed some pictures that are self-explanatory and will give some indication of what I have experienced during all this. I have even been on the phone with support for so long at times and put on hold that my fully charged phone went dead. Or I was just hung up on, or I was given numbers under the guise that they were for someone higher in the chain of command, but they were either numbers not active anymore, for govt purposes, or just a number that was for regular Dell support.

If you spoke with someone from support they would try and tell you my experience was A1 and I was as Happy as a Lamb, they would tell you this because they wouldn't want you to know they dropped the ball, Dell took my money and gave me a Flawed product in return, Ignored me, and my wishes, and they basically said, " Yeah we took your money & gave you a flawed PC, good luck getting that higher in Command Help " They just wanted me to quietly go away. However, My Father (Now Gone) was a person that taught me Right is Right & Wrong is Wrong. When you mess up, you admit your mistake and make it right. When a customer you are doing work for, points out an issue with your work, you listen to that customer and if you messed up, you do what is right for the customer you don't ignore them or make excuses to wiggle out of your mistake.

I will close this letter by saying again, I am sorry that you have to read such a letter from a returning Dell customer, but the regular avenues failed exponentially, and I felt my hands were being tied and the people that I requested Higher Command from were not giving me honest information as to how they were doing their job to their superior, or you. I needed to tell you and make this request to you, for your help with this unfortunate situation. It is my hope that after you read this that you will say, Yes, someone that works for me dropped the ball severely, and see that I get a resolution to this and hopefully remain a Dell customer. However it may be your position to stand behind your employee(s) even in the light of their grievous error(s) that I have shared with you in this mail. If that is the case at least then I can say I tried and this customer will know where he stands on how you feel about such product issues and treatment of a returning customer, I can & will move on, but not for the lack of trying to resolve the issue.

Thank You again for taking your time to read this letter,

Respectfully, Robert K. MacDonald
Nobody, Michael Dell, or anybody else will look at this letter. It is FAR too long. Start over with a brief explanation of the issue and send it to the Dell contacts, starting at the first customer service level, and escalating weekly if no/negative response.

Sep 19, 2015
Please follow the advice and shorten the letter to bullet points and leave out editorialising ie “I tried to use Logic” (why the capital L in logic) and “Happy as a Lamb” (again why capital H and L) as all this distracts from the real problems with the computer.

Apr 2, 2020
A
Nobody, Michael Dell, or anybody else will look at this letter. It is FAR too long. Start over with a brief explanation of the issue and send it to the Dell contacts, starting at the first customer service level, and escalating weekly if no/negative response.

Already done all that, that is why I feel my only recourse is a registered letter, And the issue can't be explained in context with 1 paragraph that's why it's a letter. That's what dell support treats it like, Short and sweet and sugar coat it. If it were your company you might think reading a customers letter that was sent registered mail would be important enough to read. And it's a rough draft so it may be even a little longer. But just due to the word app I am using when it's tidied up, it will probably be 2 pages, not long at all.

Apr 2, 2020
I think you need to shorten your letter. You can use the contacts for Dell to start over (click the Company Contacts Button, above and then see DELL, under computer manufacturers). You need to give specific information. Stay away from vague time frames like "a short while later."

Bullet points are easiest to read. Stick with the facts and avoid emotions and sarcasm. You want to make the person reading your letter want to help you. Once you have their attention, you can give them more specifics about the repairs.

Example:
date purchased
serial number of purchased unit
date of first failure and your fix
date of second failure (blue screen)
list of repairs (two motherboards, two graphics cards, and whatever else was replaced)
Your desired resolution

I would not advance your suspicions that your new computer was a refurbished one. The onus is on you to prove that statement and I doubt that you can do so. It is just something more that clutters your letter.
Date purchased they would have that info, Serial number there was no service tags on it, 1st failure not a month owned, and I had to buy the HD, Second failure was 1st MOTB,2nd Failure was MOTB and then I requested replacement that was ignored, And the SSD failed to work after 2nd MOTB they ignored, Next failure was 3 GFX cards and I had to buy a replacement because like the rest of the stuff they ignored it all. It's all in the rough draft you just read it.

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
One of the most important principles of self-advocacy that we recommend on this forum is that when you write a letter you must keep it short. The person reading your letter does this all day and has piles of letters to go through and does not have time to sift through a long letter to determine what the problem is. Chances are, a very long letter will be set aside. We recommend that you state the facts only in bullet point format. Do not add any extraneous information that will distract the reader. Do not include emotion, these folks have heard it all and are not swayed by it. Keep in mind that the person reading your letter did not cause your problem yet is in a position to assist you. Propose a reasonable solution. Start with the first contact listed, waiting a week before writing to the next one. We don't recommend starting with the CEO because if this persons say no to your request, there is no where else to appeal to. No employee will override the CEO. Chances are if you send a physical letter via registered mail to the CEO, it won't actually be read by this person, rather, it will be referred to one of the company contacts listed.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
To the person that replied that you don't open attachments, I was given a warning that my post was being looked at for approval, so I would have to assume that that person who approves it, deems any attachments that any user puts in their posts safe for others to open???? Or again why have the option in the first place???
When posts are put in moderation prior to posting, the moderators are unable to see the attachments to the post.

Reactions: jsn55
Feb 24, 2018
Robert, is the goal of your letter to complain about your treatment, or to ask for assistance in getting your technology problems fixed? I suggest you pick only one and separate the two.

If the goal is to get assistance with your technology problems, consider this: You could take out your entire first paragraph, and your entire three final paragraphs, and not change the meaning or content (so far as it relates to this) of your letter at all. This means that all of that text is serving no purpose in your letter, as far as reaching your goal. I would take another look at your letter and ask yourself for every sentence: Is this included to vent my frustration, or to explain why I need help? Venting frustration is perfectly valid, but it's not going to help you get what you want.

Apr 2, 2020
Robert, is the goal of your letter to complain about your treatment, or to ask for assistance in getting your technology problems fixed? I suggest you pick only one and separate the two.

If the goal is to get assistance with your technology problems, consider this: You could take out your entire first paragraph, and your entire three final paragraphs, and not change the meaning or content (so far as it relates to this) of your letter at all. This means that all of that text is serving no purpose in your letter, as far as reaching your goal. I would take another look at your letter and ask yourself for every sentence: Is this included to vent my frustration, or to explain why I need help? Venting frustration is perfectly valid, but it's not going to help you get what you want.
Hello, This is a registered Letter ( Rough ) to the owner of the company, and it looks awkward on here because it is copy and paste and that is how the forum makes it look., it is much more tidy in a word app, and the reason for my "Letter " is to tell the owner of the company my experience in context, and inform him of the actions and behaviors of people he is paying to do a job, that they are doing very poorly.

Apr 2, 2020
One of the most important principles of self-advocacy that we recommend on this forum is that when you write a letter you must keep it short. The person reading your letter does this all day and has piles of letters to go through and does not have time to sift through a long letter to determine what the problem is. Chances are, a very long letter will be set aside. We recommend that you state the facts only in bullet point format. Do not add any extraneous information that will distract the reader. Do not include emotion, these folks have heard it all and are not swayed by it. Keep in mind that the person reading your letter did not cause your problem yet is in a position to assist you. Propose a reasonable solution. Start with the first contact listed, waiting a week before writing to the next one. We don't recommend starting with the CEO because if this persons say no to your request, there is no where else to appeal to. No employee will override the CEO. Chances are if you send a physical letter via registered mail to the CEO, it won't actually be read by this person, rather, it will be referred to one of the company contacts listed.
Maybe true but a letter that comes snail mail and a registered letter that you actually have to sign for, is probably a good indication that this is something one may want to take the time to read. And remember this is a rough draft, so if it come to having to take this option it will be worded to give the reader some incentive to read even though it maybe be long.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Maybe true but a letter that comes snail mail and a registered letter that you actually have to sign for, is probably a good indication that this is something one may want to take the time to read. And remember this is a rough draft, so if it come to having to take this option it will be worded to give the reader some incentive to read even though it maybe be long.
A registered letter costs, what, 5 bucks? I think you're overestimating the power of it. Not to mention the letter might not even still be in the envelope that indicated it was a registered letter by the time it gets to someone to read. First of all, the CEO won't be signing for it. It'll then go with all the other mail the CEO gets to be sorted by someone that's not the CEO to then be disseminated to where it's supposed to go. Likely to the same person who reads emails sent to the CEO. A person whose job is to read letters all day long and answer them - I would think they'd prefer brief, concise letter that are to the point.