"Delayed Baggage"

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 29, 2015
For contacts and medication, she should go to international student services at her university and ask for assistance. If you can get her Rx for her contacts to her, she may be able to comply buy them there at a reasonable price. Similarly, the international student services office will be able to assist her in purchasing her medication. It may be that she can simply go purchase it after speaking with a pharmacist there, but we can’t know that.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsn55

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
“Article 72 of the aforementioned Law 29 of July 26th, 2009 and implementing regulations establish that only pharmaceutical laboratories can import medication. Therefore, individuals outside of the country, cannot send medicines because it is not possible to guarantee their quality and security.”

If someone needs medication in Europe best to get it done there. Cost is less and no issues with customs.

Spanish law does not allow mailing of medication.
The problem is that the medication may not be available in Spain, or that she cannot get an MD in Spain to prescribe it. It also may not be less expensive since she likely received a low price through her health insurance which will not pay for a second supply. Then the options will become more difficult if the luggage is never delivered or is delivered in weeks or months.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hello,
I am writing on behalf of my daughter. She left for Spain August 30, 2018. She flew out on Delta Airlines to Iceland, (10pm-9:10am arrival in Iceland), then had a layover until 19:50pm with a flight on Norwegian Airlines to arrive at Alicante, Spain at 02:25, September 1st, 2018 for the school year. She did everything right. She arrived way in advance to the Minneapolis airport. Had her baggage with an her name and home address on a tag, and her baggage NEVER even left MPLS! She told me she noticed that the baggage representative never put her baggage on the baggage belt? Anyways, initially I called Delta baggage delay number and was on hold for 1hour 50minutes when finally it was my turn in the que and a representative goes hello, hello...., call back 1-800-325-8224 when you are ready, and he hung up on me? Then my husband called the number and was on hold for 55 more minutes, but actually talked to a customer service representative who told him that our daughter's baggage was in Iceland's airport baggage claim 2. Yesterday, my husband called again and was on hold for 25 minutes and then only to be told her baggage had been put on an Icelandic Air airplane and her baggage was sitting in Madrid Airport, and they "thought" they were going to send it via ground transport to Alicante, Spain which is 3.5hours away from Madrid. Then my husband called the baggage delay customer service number again today and was on hold for 20 more minutes only to find out that nothing has been done! The online tracking shows it is still in Iceland Baggage Claim 2! We were also given phone numbers for Iceland Airport, and then for Madrid Airport to try and call. Why should we have to call these airports? It was Delta Airlines screw up! We keep getting vague answers as to the whereabouts of her baggage! No one seems to actually know where the heck her baggage is located! Neither my husband, nor I speak Spanish, and our daughter has started her College classes today. Here's another kicker, today we were given a phone number that was supposedly the Madrid airport. So we sent a text to our daughter with that phone number to try and call from her end, and she asked us where did the Delta delayed baggage customer service rep. say the number was for? Because when my daughter and her host parents called it, and it was someone speaking French? So that person had to go find someone who speaks Spanish, and then they went to find someone who speaks English! This is so frustrating and awful customer service! Our daughter needs some of her medications and her contact lens that are located in the baggage. Yes, she had a few things in her carry on bag, but not all of them. This is just so frustrating. Any answers or help would be helpful. Thank you.
Kaeli, my colleagues have made many good recommendations. This is an awful situation, but one that happens many, many times a day with the airlines. What is an absolute disaster to you is just another lost bag to them. This is a concept that is difficult to get across to you gracefully, but it's important that she follow procedures to get the bag delivered to her. Since Delta didn't load it at MSP, I agree that it's their responsibility. Polite, patient and persistent are the watchwords here. I may have missed this, but did she file a claim with Delta when her bag didn't turn up in Iceland? Calling is hardly ever any kind of solution.

Sep 19, 2015
The problem is that the medication may not be available in Spain, or that she cannot get an MD in Spain to prescribe it. It also may not be less expensive since she likely received a low price through her health insurance which will not pay for a second supply. Then the options will become more difficult if the luggage is never delivered or is delivered in weeks or months.
Oh I agree this is a problem. getting the equivalents and such -- I know from friends that were expats that many countries prohibit the mailing of medications -- packages were seized. These laws were put into place because of all the so called 'internet pharmacies' that sell counterfeit medications -- and counterfeit meds are a mjor problem (or so I was told by a former FDA official who works as a consultant on counterfeits -- he was on the same slightly delayed flight I was on).

I did not want the mother to go to further expense and hassle and have the package seized, this luggage issue is enough of a problem.

My thought is that when an airline has a major luggage failing such as this, the airline has to bring the bag to wherever the passenger is --
So as an example someone arrives a day early for a cruise and the luggage has not come by cruise departure, the airline needs to pay to bring it to where ever the passenger is.

There have been enough cases here of people waiting 3 to 4 days for luggage, and a traveler should not have to wait at the original destination for the luggage.

I would be concerned about the transport (truck) but the airline has to deal with this.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Oh I agree this is a problem. getting the equivalents and such -- I know from friends that were expats that many countries prohibit the mailing of medications -- packages were seized. These laws were put into place because of all the so called 'internet pharmacies' that sell counterfeit medications -- and counterfeit meds are a mjor problem (or so I was told by a former FDA official who works as a consultant on counterfeits -- he was on the same slightly delayed flight I was on).

I did not want the mother to go to further expense and hassle and have the package seized, this luggage issue is enough of a problem.

My thought is that when an airline has a major luggage failing such as this, the airline has to bring the bag to wherever the passenger is --
So as an example someone arrives a day early for a cruise and the luggage has not come by cruise departure, the airline needs to pay to bring it to where ever the passenger is.

There have been enough cases here of people waiting 3 to 4 days for luggage, and a traveler should not have to wait at the original destination for the luggage.

I would be concerned about the transport (truck) but the airline has to deal with this.
I agree with you BUT the traveler still does not have their luggage and may not get it for weeks, if ever. It is on the airline but that does not solve the problem of lack of meds etc. The mother does need to make plans to get the medications through some route if it can not be obtained locally. She can get a months supply and ship it--if it is not delivered then on to plan B.

Sep 19, 2015
I agree with you BUT the traveler still does not have their luggage and may not get it for weeks, if ever. It is on the airline but that does not solve the problem of lack of meds etc. The mother does need to make plans to get the medications through some route if it can not be obtained locally. She can get a months supply and ship it--if it is not delivered then on to plan B.
First thing to do is go to pharmacy and show pharmacist the bottle -- they will look it up by formula --- my limited experience in Spain was very positive. Problems tend to arise if a medication is under patent protection and the drug company wants too much money (I can think of one example that a friend had); but a pharmacist will be able to look everything up, should not take much time. I found that my rx eyedrops in the US do not require a rx in Italy and the cost is less than my insurance co-pay. The most I paid to see a dr in Europe was Euro 100 at the American Hospital in Paris.

Or one of the parents could go visit and bring the meds and such, that is permitted, it is just the problem of mail and customs. That could be an expensive experiment, as you mentioned the insurance may not cover the first month of the missing meds.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
First thing to do is go to pharmacy and show pharmacist the bottle -- they will look it up by formula --- my limited experience in Spain was very positive. Problems tend to arise if a medication is under patent protection and the drug company wants too much money (I can think of one example that a friend had); but a pharmacist will be able to look everything up, should not take much time. I found that my rx eyedrops in the US do not require a rx in Italy and the cost is less than my insurance co-pay. The most I paid to see a dr in Europe was Euro 100 at the American Hospital in Paris.

Or one of the parents could go visit and bring the meds and such, that is permitted, it is just the problem of mail and customs. That could be an expensive experiment, as you mentioned the insurance may not cover the first month of the missing meds.
It does not appear from the post that the daughter has the bottle for the missing meds. They need get a copy and scan the prescription at home and email it to her so she can take it to the local pharmacy and see what her options are. You are correct that the meds may be available OTC, but many prescription acne meds (if it is one of the more common ones) are not likely to be OTC anywhere in the world. The parent can use goodrx.com to get an idea what replacement costs would be in the US (example $300-$1200/month for one common prescription).

Sep 19, 2015
It does not appear from the post that the daughter has the bottle for the missing meds. They need get a copy and scan the prescription at home and email it to her so she can take it to the local pharmacy and see what her options are. You are correct that the meds may be available OTC, but many prescription acne meds (if it is one of the more common ones) are not likely to be OTC anywhere in the world. The parent can use goodrx.com to get an idea what replacement costs would be in the US (example $300-$1200/month for one common prescription).
Even without the bottle, if one takes for example Patanol (my eyedrops) the generic name can be looked up (olopatadine) which is olopatadina in Spain and Italy -- one can look up the name and manufacturer abroad

https://www.drugs.com/international/olopatadine.html

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Regardless of the prescription- You should never pack prescriptions or valuables in checked luggage. Thankfully this is not life saving medications- it’s contact lenses and acne medicine. It’s more important now to try to find the bag. To our writer/ please have your daughter start writing to our contacts for the airline and let us know if the Executives can find and get the bag to your daughter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 3, 2018
Kaeli, my colleagues have made many good recommendations. This is an awful situation, but one that happens many, many times a day with the airlines. What is an absolute disaster to you is just another lost bag to them. This is a concept that is difficult to get across to you gracefully, but it's important that she follow procedures to get the bag delivered to her. Since Delta didn't load it at MSP, I agree that it's their responsibility. Polite, patient and persistent are the watchwords here. I may have missed this, but did she file a claim with Delta when her bag didn't turn up in Iceland? Calling is hardly ever any kind of solution.
Hello, She did file a claim in Iceland, and received a file ref. Number.

Sep 3, 2018
Regardless of the prescription- You should never pack prescriptions or valuables in checked luggage. Thankfully this is not life saving medications- it’s contact lenses and acne medicine. It’s more important now to try to find the bag. To our writer/ please have your daughter start writing to our contacts for the airline and let us know if the Executives can find and get the bag to your daughter.
Hello,
My daughter has written to the executives of Delta airlines via email. My daughter told me this morning that Icelandic air doesn’t even have the location of her baggage. Delta Madrid thinks her bag tag fell off or was damaged? Which I don’t understand how that could happen? So she posted the contents on world tracker that she could remember that were super colorful so they can open the bag in the unidentified ones. I told her I think she needs to go up to Madrid herself with someone who speaks fluent Spanish so she could do a visual check herself.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hello,
My daughter has written to the executives of Delta airlines via email. My daughter told me this morning that Icelandic air doesn’t even have the location of her baggage. Delta Madrid thinks her bag tag fell off or was damaged? Which I don’t understand how that could happen? So she posted the contents on world tracker that she could remember that were super colorful so they can open the bag in the unidentified ones. I told her I think she needs to go up to Madrid herself with someone who speaks fluent Spanish so she could do a visual check herself.
Regardless of what she does, you should operate on the assumption that this bag will be returned in weeks or not at all. If she needs her prescriptions and glasses they need to be obtained from local providers or from home.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Sep 21, 2018
What was the European number Delta gave? Air France handles Delta baggage issues in Europe which may be why they answered in French.

I do believe Delta has an obligation to get the bag to Spain — (same as if someone takes a cruise the next day and no luggage) — but it may take time.

They do not need to hire a baggage transport company this is on Delta.
No ticket agreement, then the bags end in Iceland.