Defective refrigerator purchased from Home Depot

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 8, 2017
I purchased a Maytag refrigerator from Home Depot that was delivered this morning. The delivery/install people hooked up the water and power and showed me that the water was dispensing and it was on. They left and I tried to set the temperature and found the control panel button for temperature did not work. I've called Home Depot three times and each time was directed by live people to Maytag and to schedule a service call. I even called the store where I bought it because I was desperate who told me to call the main number to schedule a service appointment. I now have a service repair appointment in six days. I was told by each Maytag rep I spoke to an even a Home Depot employee that it should be picked up and replaced. Anything else I can do?

Aug 29, 2015
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
What is your refrigerator's model number? You can google "Maytag Refrigerator Control Panel Reset" with your model number and see if by following the instructions you can reactivate your control panel. Alternatively, do you know anyone who owns a similar model of Maytag? If so call them and see if they can offer any advice.

Try the Maytag web site, too.

Also, try to do some research and find out who actually makes Maytag refrigerators. It might be Whirlpool, but I'm not sure.

Feb 9, 2016
I purchased a Maytag refrigerator from Home Depot that was delivered this morning. The delivery/install people hooked up the water and power and showed me that the water was dispensing and it was on. They left and I tried to set the temperature and found the control panel button for temperature did not work. I've called Home Depot three times and each time was directed by live people to Maytag and to schedule a service call. I even called the store where I bought it because I was desperate who told me to call the main number to schedule a service appointment. I now have a service repair appointment in six days. I was told by each Maytag rep I spoke to an even a Home Depot employee that it should be picked up and replaced. Anything else I can do?
First call to see when they can next delivery a new refrigerator. I'm willing to bet it will be beforebut6 days. After you have that date in hand, if it is less than 6 days, Call Home Depot and tell them you want to return the defective refrigerator and ask how to do that. Ask them to come and get it stating that you are declining accepting a defective item and it will be quicker, and less food will spoil, if you purchase a new one and have that delivered. Do you know someone with a truck?

Feb 9, 2016
What is your refrigerator's model number? You can google "Maytag Refrigerator Control Panel Reset" with your model number and see if by following the instructions you can reactivate your control panel. Alternatively, do you know anyone who owns a similar model of Maytag? If so call them and see if they can offer any advice.

Try the Maytag web site, too.

Also, try to do some research and find out who actually makes Maytag refrigerators. It might be Whirlpool, but I'm not sure.
That's great advice, for sure. I, personally, would still want to return the unit because it arrived damaged / defective

Reactions: Neil Maley
Nov 14, 2016
I'd get off the phone entirely. I'd take the 20 minute drive to the store and talk to the customer service manager directly. I'd tell them the model they installed that very day is defective, that you're not accepting delivery and they need to come out and replace it. Of course, I'd do this politely but firmly. If the manager refused, I'd record the refusal on camera and let them know that you'll be sharing this with their regional manager as well as with your credit card company when you dispute the entire charge.

There's no chance in hell that I'd accept a repairman to come out and fix a DOA fridge because if that's wrong, what else did they get wrong during manufacturing of that particular unit?

---------------
Because I like to tell similar stories, many years ago I purchased a house in a new development. 6 months in and the heat pump went out during the winter. It was under warranty with the builder and therefore they were supposed to send someone out to fix it. 3 calls and 4 days later and no one showed - just a freezing cold home and a sick kid to boot.

Now this area was selling like hotcakes and there were many other houses being built right around mine. So that Saturday I drove up to the model home which was PACKED with prospective buyers. I walked in, took a look around and at the top of my voice proceeded to yell, "I bought a crappy home in this development 6 months ago and I have no heat. You cheap assholes won't fix it even though you're supposed to! Now I've got a sick kid and you bastards aren't selling another house until you fix mine!" Or something to that effect.

The entire place stopped dead. Every head turned my way. A couple of salespeople tried to get me in a back room. I refused and continued to speak very loudly about how shoddy the workmanship was and how the builder wasn't responsive to anything.The poor salespeople were dying as customers started leaving in droves. They started assuring me they'd have it fixed ASAP.

Satisfied my message was being received, I got in one last parting shot. "If this thing isn't fixed this afternoon, I tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to take the one from the house you're building next to me, hook it up myself and take the broken one and throw it in the middle of the blankey-blank street.:"

It was fixed inside of 3 hours.

Sometimes the personal touch is the way to go.