Dealer didn’t refill motor oil

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 20, 2020
I have my 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara unlimited services at a dealer including an oil change. The dealer failed to refill the motor oil past 1.5-2 qts. Vehicle doesn’t have the same power it did before. Dealers cant diagnose a specific issue, so I can’t use my warranty. FCA won’t do anything because the dealer can’t find the issue. I can’t trade out because I’m upside down $7-10k. I feel I have exhausted my options, can anyone think of something I haven’t?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Then how can you prove they didn’t add that much oil? It is going to be difficult to dispute a piece of paper. Did the car overheat? My last oil change, they didn’t tighten the oil plug enough and I notice oil spot on my driveway. Took it to another place that simply tightened the nut and it solved the problem but I noticed oil leaking.

Is there more to the story? I’m not a mechanic- I Joie maybe one of our readers is but low oil would cause engine damage- and the dealer hasn’t found any? What do you mean by loss of power?

Jun 20, 2020
Then how can you prove they didn’t add that much oil? It is going to be difficult to dispute a piece of paper. Did the car overheat? My last oil change, they didn’t tighten the oil plug enough and I notice oil spot on my driveway. Took it to another place that simply tightened the nut and it solved the problem but I noticed oil leaking.

Is there more to the story? I’m not a mechanic- I Joie maybe one of our readers is but low oil would cause engine damage- and the dealer hasn’t found any? What do you mean by loss of power?
the car broke down with an unrelated issue; the egr coolant hose and thermostat were leaking and the car over heated. The car was towed to a Jeep dealer, when diagnosing the coolant issue they discovered the low oil level. No leaks on the driveway, no smoking, nothing.

loss of power meaning the engine isn’t as peppy as it was. I wasn’t sure until I drove a rental and the difference was night and day.

I fully appreciate how difficult this is to prove, that’s why I’m asking for help.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did the mechanic that you towed the car to state that the low oil level caused any of the damage?

You have to show proof that not filling the oil fully caused the loss of power you say you experience. Is it possible the overheating caused this?

If it was simply low oil, filling the oil should have resolved the problem, shouldn’t it? Cars aren’t my forte so I hope one of my colleagues will stop in and help out on this one.

jmv

Mar 6, 2019
Assuming this is a relatively new vehicle, if the oil was low enough to cause damage the oil warning light on the dashboard should have lit up. If it didn't it is unlikely the low oil is the source of the problem

Jun 20, 2020
Did the mechanic that you towed the car to state that the low oil level caused any of the damage?

You have to show proof that not filling the oil fully caused the loss of power you say you experience. Is it possible the overheating caused this?

If it was simply low oil, filling the oil should have resolved the problem, shouldn’t it? Cars aren’t my forte so I hope one of my colleagues will stop in and help out on this one.
You’re saying overheating for less than 60 seconds vs driving for 3k miles is the underlying issue? Can’t say I’d agree.

that’s exactly my issue, I can’t diagnose the underlying issue with the engine (are the rings worn, bearings worn, metal shavings, etc), the cause is clear. I just can’t showwhat I’m experiencing in the form of a diagnosable issue.

No offense, if you don’t know cars, why would you chime in?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do you want help or not? We are here to try to help you find the proof you need to go back to the dealer to get help.

If the oil was low- was your oil light on in the car? In order for you to go back to the dealer to say that the oil caused this, you need a mechanic to provide you with a written statement that low oil damaged your engine. You need to find someone to corroborate your claim that low engine oil caused this.

You gave no information on the overheating- how long you drove
when it occurred,. Did the Jeep dealer find engine damage consistent with low oil?

Reactions: Pixie Pie
Jun 20, 2020
Do you want help or not? We are here to try to help you find the proof you need to go back to the dealer to get help.

If the oil was low- was your oil light on in the car? In order for you to go back to the dealer to say that the oil caused this, you need a mechanic to provide you with a written statement that low oil damaged your engine. You need to find someone to corroborate your claim that low engine oil caused this.

You gave no information on the overheating- how long you drove
when it occurred,. Did the Jeep dealer find engine damage consistent with low oil?
That’s the issue, the dealer can’t find an issue with the engine.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
So the oil light never went off, indicating low oil pressure? You haven’t answered that question.

Unfortunately without finding a mechanic who can back up your claim, there really isn’t anything you can do. Have you tried taking it to an independent mechanic instead of the dealer?

Is the car driveable? Has the dealer driven the car with you in it and experienced the lack of “peppiness” you feel?

Sep 4, 2019
Assuming this is a relatively new vehicle, if the oil was low enough to cause damage the oil warning light on the dashboard should have lit up. If it didn't it is unlikely the low oil is the source of the problem
This is unfortunately a bit of a myth. If you have just an oil pressure warning system, it’s possible to be significantly low on oil and yet still have enough pressure in the system that it won’t trigger the light. (Oil level gauge is a different story, but it’s not likely he has one).

Jun 20, 2020
This is unfortunately a bit of a myth. If you have just an oil pressure warning system, it’s possible to be significantly low on oil and yet still have enough pressure in the system that it won’t trigger the light. (Oil level gauge is a different story, but it’s not likely he has one).
correct, Jeep told me there is a low oil pressure light, but no low oil level light.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Re: oil level. If the oil level is low enough that there is not adequate oil and oil pressure to lubricate the moving parts of the engine, the engine will have a catastrophic failure, not just run "sluggishly". You did not get a low oil pressure light apparently.

Overheating can cause many problems that may impact the engine function without catastrophic failure (although extended engine operation in an overheated condition can cause catastrophic engine failure).

If you have not already done so, take your car to a recommended independent mechanic for an assessment. Independent mechanics are often better at diagnosing a problem rather than simply replacing parts and hoping things will get fixed (as dealer shops are wont to do).

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When you picked up the car after the oil change but before the overheating incident, was the car feeling sluggish at that time? How long after the oil change did the overheating occur? What else did they do at the dealer during the servicing besides the oil change?

You need to isolate the first time you felt a difference in performance. That information will help an independent mechanic try to determine what is actually causing this.

We had a lot of problems with our car dealer with my wife’s car not starting. They diagnosed it as a computer update. Two days after we brought it back, happened again. Took it back to the dealer, had it for three days, said they couldn’t re-create it. Took it home, happened the next day. Took it to our own mechanic who replaced the starter and we haven’t had a problem since.

An independent mechanic might be able to really listen to you and provide you with what you need to go back to the dealer.

Have you checked for any recalls on the car? Sometimes there is a recall you don’t know about that can cause problems too. You

Jun 20, 2020
When you picked up the car after the oil change but before the overheating incident, was the car feeling sluggish at that time? How long after the oil change did the overheating occur? What else did they do at the dealer during the servicing besides the oil change?

You need to isolate the first time you felt a difference in performance. That information will help an independent mechanic try to determine what is actually causing this.

We had a lot of problems with our car dealer with my wife’s car not starting. They diagnosed it as a computer update. Two days after we brought it back, happened again. Took it back to the dealer, had it for three days, said they couldn’t re-create it. Took it home, happened the next day. Took it to our own mechanic who replaced the starter and we haven’t had a problem since.

An independent mechanic might be able to really listen to you and provide you with what you need to go back to the dealer.

Have you checked for any recalls on the car? Sometimes there is a recall you don’t know about that can cause problems too. You
Again, the question is not the cause. I appreciate I ate everyone’s input, I just wanted to see if I had other options to consider, it appears I do not.

I’m working with my auto insurance company to hopefully have them payout the loss I’m going absorb upon trade in.
I’ll let everyone know the final outcome.
Be well

Sep 4, 2019
You’re saying overheating for less than 60 seconds vs driving for 3k miles is the underlying issue?
You never replied if yours has the turbo engine? If it is, 3,000 miles is enough that it could have consumed (not burned) that much oil and it’s possible that the turbo or engine were damaged enough to be low on power, but would require thousands in labor costs to break down and fully diagnose.

Are you still under any sort of warranty?

Do you have any other shops to give a second opinion? I would absolutely give this a shot even if you have a factory warranty and want to stick with your dealer.

Jun 20, 2020
You never replied if yours has the turbo engine? If it is, 3,000 miles is enough that it could have consumed (not burned) that much oil and it’s possible that the turbo or engine were damaged enough to be low on power, but would require thousands in labor costs to break down and fully diagnose.

Are you still under any sort of warranty?

Do you have any other shops to give a second opinion? I would absolutely give this a shot even if you have a factory warranty and want to stick with your dealer.
Sorry, I’m only getting alerts for certain reply’s for some reason.

I have the v6...

ive already gone through many months of going to shops, without taking the motor apart there’s nothing that can be done to determine exactly what is failing. I appreciate the attempts to diagnose, but that’s not what’s in question. I already know I’m at a dead end there.

Sep 4, 2019
Sorry, I’m only getting alerts for certain reply’s for some reason.

I have the v6...

ive already gone through many months of going to shops, without taking the motor apart there’s nothing that can be done to determine exactly what is failing. I appreciate the attempts to diagnose, but that’s not what’s in question. I already know I’m at a dead end there.
I’m not so much attempting to diagnose as trying to find something concrete you can attribute to the dealer. Rightly or wrongly, they will not accept any responsibility for low oil observed several hundred or thousand miles after an oil change, without a misthreaded drain plug or missing gasket or similar issue. If it was turbo consumption there might be an angle because they seem to have underestimated how much oil they consume at a corporate level and a lot of folks have been caught off-guard.

Similarly, without quantitative evidence of missing ”pep” no one is going to do further diagnostics. Can you show a dyno test or something that confirms it’s significantly low on horsepower? Then maybe they’d dig deeper for a warranty claim, but otherwise you might be out of luck.

(I own an FCA vehicle with a blown engine and they’re not particularly interested in helping me either, so please don’t misunderstand - I’m definitely sympathetic! $2000 just to diagnose without fixing anything was tough to hear, so now I’m driving a 20-year-old minivan)

My only other advice that might help you come up with your own ideas is to google a guy named Steve Lehto - he’s a lawyer who specializes in lemon law and he’s put out a ton of podcasts and published material that can be helpful in figuring out how to approach issues like with dealers and corporate.