CSA Travel Insurance Claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 27, 2020
I was denied coverage under my CSA travel insurance policy #2xxxxxxxxx purchased on January 19, 2020. It was for travel Jun 11-Jun 18 to Honolulu, Hawaii. Under this insurance policy quarantine is a covered issue. However, CSA stated that it would be for individual quarantine not for Statewide such as was issued by the State of Hawaii. My claim # is 2xxxxxxx-xx.

I would like to get a refund of the Alaska Airlines portion as well as the $140 to cancel due to the statewide mandatory quarantine. The total would be $1739.00 Alaska Airlines did cancel the day after I cancelled my reservation. I paid $208.78 for Travel Protection Insurance and I feel that CSA let me down and also only offered a credit for travel insurance towards a future travel trip.
What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 1739.00

Note: Edited by a moderator to remove policy and claim numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I was denied coverage under my CSA travel insurance policy #2xxxxxxxxx purchased on January 19, 2020. It was for travel Jun 11-Jun 18 to Honolulu, Hawaii. Under this insurance policy quarantine is a covered issue. However, CSA stated that it would be for individual quarantine not for Statewide such as was issued by the State of Hawaii. My claim # is 2xxxxxxx-xx.

I would like to get a refund of the Alaska Airlines portion as well as the $140 to cancel due to the statewide mandatory quarantine. The total would be $1739.00 Alaska Airlines did cancel the day after I cancelled my reservation. I paid $208.78 for Travel Protection Insurance and I feel that CSA let me down and also only offered a credit for travel insurance towards a future travel trip.
What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 1739.00

The HI statewide quarantine mandate does not prevent anyone from traveling. You were not quarantined due to your illness which might be a covered event on your policy. No insurance except for CFAR will cover this situation.

If you canceled your airline tickets prior to the airline canceling the flight you are due a credit from the airline, not a refund. Having accepted credit the airline will not retroactively issue you a refund.

May 30, 2019
Sorry, but you most likely don't have a valid claim here. @weihlac in Post #2 explains why, and provided a useful link.

I can't recommend anything for self-advocacy other than to explore why Alaska charged your a change fee. Per their current policy, the full value of the original flight should have been applied to the new flight. Perhaps the $140 reflects a difference in airfare? If so, that is a valid charge from the airline.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 1739.
Since Alaska should issue you a credit for the flights with generous terms, seems like your problem is the insurance to cover the trip. Are there other expenses that you didn't list? What do the terms of your insurance policy state regarding whole areas being quarantined? That's what governs their decision.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Insurance only pays if you are quarantined in your home because you have an illness and would be unable to travel as certified by your physician.
If you had Covid and couldn’t travel because you had to be quarantined at home- that is what is covered.

It doesn’t cover you traveling and being quarantined on arrival.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Insurance only pays if you are quarantined in your home because you have an illness and would be unable to travel as certified by your physician.
If you had Covid and couldn’t travel because you had to be quarantined at home- that is what is covered.

It doesn’t cover you traveling and being quarantined on arrival.
This is a very clear explanation. It's important to read the entire policy and make sure it's meeting all your needs and that you understand all the information. One of the reasons I prefer to deal with a real agency like Travel Insurance Center is that I can just make a list of my questions and call a licensed agent to get the facts. Unlike a phone agent with an online agency, licensed agents always give you correct information.

Jul 1, 2020
My wife and I were also denied a claim by CSA Insurance. We booked a trip to Kauai on January 8, 2020 for 10 day stay though The Parish Collection of Kauai for March 14-24th. On a visit to our Doctor on March 4, he strongly recommended we should not travel due to our age (79) and my immune deficiency situation and my wife's ongoing recovery from Breast Cancer treatment. We cancelled with the Parish Collection on that date and requested a copy of the policy which was not provided with our purchase. A claim was filed in accordance to the procedures on March 24th, including the Physician Statement where he told us not to travel. There was no stay at home notice...no quarantine in place at that time. The claim was denied on May 26th saying that The policy contains exclusions stating, “1. We will not pay for any loss under this Policy, caused by, or resulting from:.... travel restrictions imposed for a certain area by governmental authority;”. However the policy does state : The Sickness, Injury or death of you, your Family Member, your Traveling Companion or your Service Animal. The Sickness or Injury must first commence while your coverage is in effect under the Policy, must require the in-person treatment by a Physician, and must be so disabling in the written opinion of a Physician as to prevent you from taking your Trip (either because your condition prevents your travel, or because your Family Member, Traveling
Companion or your Service" As we were completely able and willing to travel our Doctors statement prevented us from doing so when the virus became prevalent and airports became risky. It was our Prior condition and The Doctor's insistence that we did not go. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
My wife and I were also denied a claim by CSA Insurance. We booked a trip to Kauai on January 8, 2020 for 10 day stay though The Parish Collection of Kauai for March 14-24th. On a visit to our Doctor on March 4, he strongly recommended we should not travel due to our age (79) and my immune deficiency situation and my wife's ongoing recovery from Breast Cancer treatment. We cancelled with the Parish Collection on that date and requested a copy of the policy which was not provided with our purchase. A claim was filed in accordance to the procedures on March 24th, including the Physician Statement where he told us not to travel. There was no stay at home notice...no quarantine in place at that time. The claim was denied on May 26th saying that The policy contains exclusions stating, “1. We will not pay for any loss under this Policy, caused by, or resulting from:.... travel restrictions imposed for a certain area by governmental authority;”. However the policy does state : The Sickness, Injury or death of you, your Family Member, your Traveling Companion or your Service Animal. The Sickness or Injury must first commence while your coverage is in effect under the Policy, must require the in-person treatment by a Physician, and must be so disabling in the written opinion of a Physician as to prevent you from taking your Trip (either because your condition prevents your travel, or because your Family Member, Traveling
Companion or your Service" As we were completely able and willing to travel our Doctors statement prevented us from doing so when the virus became prevalent and airports became risky. It was our Prior condition and The Doctor's insistence that we did not go. Any suggestions on how to proceed?
"It was our Prior condition and The Doctor's insistence that we did not go." Your cancelations were due to pre-existing conditions. Did you obtain the policy at a time such that pre-existing conditions were covered? Many policies specifically exclude coverage for pre-existing conditions. You will need to read the details of your policy to see if you have any grounds for appeal.

Reactions: Skippy

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Unfortunately most travel insurance doesn't cover a doctor saying you shouldn't go, it covers a doctor saying medically you are not able to travel. A doctor suggesting you not travel because you might get sick which could cause major problems isn't covered in the plans I've seen.

Jul 1, 2020
Unfortunately most travel insurance doesn't cover a doctor saying you shouldn't go, it covers a doctor saying medically you are not able to travel. A doctor suggesting you not travel because you might get sick which could cause major problems isn't covered in the plans I've seen.

The advertisements for CSA have a definition of "Pre existing conditions" which states:
Coverages for Pre-Existing Medical Conditions
CSA may accept pre-existing medical conditions for you and your traveling companions as long as you purchase your plan prior to or within 24 hours of your final trip payment and you are medically able to travel at the time the coverage is purchased.

What is a pre-existing medical condition?
A pre-existing medical condition means a Sickness or Injury during the 60-day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion:

• Received, or received a recommendation for, a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment, or
  • Took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.
The Pre existing condition I currently have involves injections of Gamma Globin to boost the immune system. This has been in effect for over 7 years. We have always purchased Travel Insurance as a safety in the event of any issues. We were medically able to travel at the time the booking was made and the policy purchased. I feel a Doctor telling one that if you travel, are exposed and catch Covid-19 you might die would be sufficient reason for the policy to pay off. It was the written opinion of the Doctor that my condition prevented our travel and he so stated in the Physicians statement.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

The advertisements for CSA have a definition of "Pre existing conditions" which states:
CSA may accept pre-existing medical conditions for you and your traveling companions as long as you purchase your plan prior to or within 24 hours of your final trip payment and you are medically able to travel at the time the coverage is purchased.

A pre-existing medical condition means a Sickness or Injury during the 60-day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion:

• Received, or received a recommendation for, a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment, or
The Pre existing condition I currently have involves injections of Gamma Globin to boost the immune system. This has been in effect for over 7 years. We have always purchased Travel Insurance as a safety in the event of any issues. We were medically able to travel at the time the booking was made and the policy purchased. I feel a Doctor telling one that if you travel, are exposed and catch Covid-19 you might die would be sufficient reason for the policy to pay off. It was the written opinion of the Doctor that my condition prevented our travel and he so stated in the Physicians statement.
Unfortunately what you describe is a “fear of travel” due to Covid. If your condition was existing at the same level it is now when you bought the trip, it wouldn’t be covered. If you were able to travel then, you can travel now.

Whst would be covered is if your condition significantly worsened and was so severe you wouldn’t be able to travel at all. Your dr. would have to send treatment records to show why you couldn’t travel. That probably isn’t the case.
Pandemics are not covered under most insurance unless you had a Cancel for Any Reason policy.

Please read our story on what insurance does and doesn’t cover:

Reactions: Skippy and justlisa

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii

" CSA may accept pre-existing medical conditions for you and your traveling companions as long as you purchase your plan prior to or within 24 hours of your final trip payment and you are medically able to travel at the time the coverage is purchased. " Did you purchase the CSA policy in the 24hr time period as required? If so you might appeal but it is likely that the appeal will be denied since you were not actually medically unable to travel. You were advised not to travel. Fear/risk of COVID has not been a covered reason for a claim.

Reactions: Neil Maley

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
What they mean by covering pre-existing conditions is that say you have lupus and had it for years. You've been stable, but three weeks before your trip you have a flare up that sends you to the hospital and even though you're out you're still recovering and your doctor doesn't want you to travel until they get the right combination of meds to put you back in remission. Insurance will cover THAT, but they won't cover you canceling because you think the trip might make your lupus flare up.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm really sorry that you're facing this loss. I'd like to remind everyone that buying trip insurance is a little more complicated than finding some coverage on the internet, or purchasing insurance from the travel provider. At your age, with your health issues, you should have had personalized advice before the purchase. What did your claim involve? Do you have any future credits from the lodging or the airlines? This is an awful experience, but there may be some benefits for you in the future. I wish we could be more helpful.