• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Cruise Advice

Jul 22, 2019
Hi guys i booked a cruise symphony of the seas oct 26-nov2 western Caribbean i was wondering has anyone sailed during hurricane season would i be ok or should i look at cancelling changing dates?

Apr 9, 2019
That is the very end of Hurricane season, so less likely then for sure. Perhaps cruisecritic has past experiences for that time of year and/ or advice.

Reactions: mmb and jsn55
Jan 11, 2015
Good advice from johnbaker. In addition, check out cruisecritic and see what the experienced cruisers have to say.

Jan 11, 2015
That is the very end of Hurricane season, so less likely then for sure. Perhaps cruisecritic has past experiences for that time of year and/ or advice.
Sorry, Lilyb, looks like we were both typing at the same time!

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
There's no way to know if there will be a hurricane then or not. Buying trip insurance, like stated, is a good idea -- but make sure it'll cover what you want. For example, cruises are usually only cancelled when the hurricane effects the embark/disembark port otherwise they just sail to other ports. Regular trip insurance might not cover it if the cruise is still going but you don't feel comfortable going.

FWIW - I live in Florida and it was only that direct hit a few years ago where I can recall the ports being closed for more than one day.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Perfect i did buy insurance.
Make sure your policy covers weather-related cancellations such as a hurricane. Hurricane season typically starts slow, ramps up in August and September then tapers off the last two months. I say typically with some hesitancy though!

Reactions: jsn55

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We always sail during hurricane season - best value of the year - and have never had an issue. Make sure your travel insurance covers a cancellation due to a hurricane where you are embarking from AND where you live. If you have a hurricane hit your home and can't travel, the insurance does no good if it doesn't cover weather issues at both ends.

Reactions: mschlick and Patina

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
We sailed on the Holland America Niew Amsterdam Oct 28 to Nov 4 2018. Yes Hurricane season! My daughter got married in the beach in St Thomas Nov 1st. Every season is different and you just never know what the weather gods have in store for you. When my daughter booked this cruise she knew there was a chance of 1. horrible weather and 2. Missing St Thomas and getting married at the court house at home when she returned. We had glorious and warm weather everyday but one and the wedding day was a wonderful memory!

Get Travel Insurance and keep a smile and your sense of adventure with you. Your dates are the end of the season but no one can make promises about the weather. Enjoy your cruise!

PS do NOT fly in the day the ship departs. It’s critical you travel the day before in case of travel delays.

Dec 27, 2014
NoVA
I've sailed a few times during hurricane season. It's mostly a little bit of luck whether or not you'll encounter a storm. November is towards the end of the season, so your chances of encountering a significant storm are less, but weather is unpredictable, so there's not surefire way to say yes or no if you'll cross paths with one. The best advice I can give is get trip insurance. Make sure it's a cancel for any reason and/or that weather conditions are covered.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Apr 9, 2019
We sailed on Celebrity late October a few years ago, NY to San Juan. A 7 day trip, and for 2 of them the outside decks were closed, the pools emptied, and the ship rolling. Not bad enough to be a hurricane, but somewhat unsettling! A lot of people missed a lot of meals on that one. You just never know.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Going out of NY the Seas are usually rough as is the last day coming back. And it’s year round. Not as rough as having to keep decks closed but it’s not a smooth ride most of the time.

Jan 11, 2015
One thing to keep in mind is that the Symphony OS is an enormous ship (with over 5,000 PAX), and there aren't that many alternate caribbean ports that can berth her once you leave from Miami on Oct. 26. But, with the proper insurance coverage, you've done all you can in preparation - and there'll be plenty to do onboard, even if any of the ports are missed due to weather issues.

Teri Bergin

Staff Member
Advocate
Mar 12, 2016
Orlando, Florida
I live in Florida and have taken cruises during Hurricane Season many times. Remember that hurricane season is 6 months--half the year. Also, with modern weather forecasting, cruise ships have the information to avoid the storms. I can only think of a handful of stories of cruise ships hitting ugly storms and I've lived here 40 years.

Reactions: Neil Maley

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I agree with my colleagues, who have given you all kinds of useful information. Based on my experience with this forum, I now want to remind everyone that it's not enough to BUY travel insurance ... you have to KNOW what you're buying. Working with a real insurance broker instead of an online service makes me comfortable that I'm buying what I need. I can fill in the forms online and make a list of my questions before calling them. It's definitely worth the extra effort.

Reactions: LindyBee and Skippy
Dec 20, 2018
True cautionary tale:

My former supervisor at my job was on a cruise with her husband when Hurricane Harvey hit. Their ship couldn't dock, so they ended up stranded on the ship for an extra week. I don't know if they had travel insurance to cover any extra costs they incurred. Hopefully they did.

I would highly reconsider a cruise during hurricane season. Or at least be sure to have good insurance.

Feb 21, 2018
True cautionary tale:

My former supervisor at my job was on a cruise with her husband when Hurricane Harvey hit. Their ship couldn't dock, so they ended up stranded on the ship for an extra week. I don't know if they had travel insurance to cover any extra costs they incurred. Hopefully they did.

I would highly reconsider a cruise during hurricane season. Or at least be sure to have good insurance.
I don't think situations where a ship is unable to dock back in it's home port is common enough to reconsider a hurricane season cruise.

I will agree with the need for trip insurance simply because it is possible that there could be travel delays to/from your point of embarkation that can affect your trip.

One also needs to be realistic and accept that your original itinerary may not be the one you actually sail. Ships will change course and ports (sometimes drastically - as in instead of the Bahamas you are going to Canada) to ensure they stay away from storms.

I've sailed during hurricane season multiple times and never had an issue.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don't think situations where a ship is unable to dock back in it's home port is common enough to reconsider a hurricane season cruise.

I will agree with the need for trip insurance simply because it is possible that there could be travel delays to/from your point of embarkation that can affect your trip.

One also needs to be realistic and accept that your original itinerary may not be the one you actually sail. Ships will change course and ports (sometimes drastically - as in instead of the Bahamas you are going to Canada) to ensure they stay away from storms.

I've sailed during hurricane season multiple times and never had an issue.
Me too. Best pricing of the year and in 25 years have never had an issue due to a hurricane.

Reactions: msmayor and Patina
Apr 8, 2019
We have sailed on NCL several times during the hurricane season. Everyone has given you excellent advise, but one more tip. Since you may have to change ports of call, my recommendation is do not book "off=ship" private excursions since you may not visit that stop and may not be able to get a refund. If you book thru the cruise line and they omit or change a port, you are guaranteed a refund.