Credit Card Travel Loss Insurance Claim - Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 29, 2019
*A couple clarifying items: unfortunately "no" we did not have outside travel insurance and plan to on all future trips - our loss. This question extends to what, if any, reimbursement under our credit card policies we could be entitled to. Unfortunately, I believe the United and Emirates flights were under different itineraries as my step-father likes to book directly with the airlines and it helps ensure him that he is getting the class he would like. Please let me know if there are any other questions which may help.

Mom and Sister recently were leaving for a trip to Europe. Flights were scheduled as follows:

Chicago - Newark - Athens - Santorini : via United the first leg, and Emirates business class the second leg - unsure of Athens to Santorini

The Chicago to Newark flight got delayed repeatedly due to weather and they were unable to make it into Newark in time to catch their departing flight to Athens, and ultimately Santorini. Emirates being Emirates, this caused them to have to repurchase their Emirates flights for Athens as if they had booked their flight that day, thus paying an excessive difference in ticket cost for having missing their flight. Additionally, they had to stay in a hotel the night they missed the flight, as well as losing out on their first night in Santorini as it was prepaid and nonrefundable. Total approximate losses from the weather event in Newark is as follows:

Emirates flight ticket difference: $5,500
Hotel night lost in Santorini: $1,000
Hotel night in NYC while waiting: $800
Athens to Santorini flight: Unknown
Food, cabs, etc.: Unknown

The following credit cards were used:
Chase United Explorer Plus - All initial flights, and hotel in NYC
Chase Sapphire (non-preferred) - Santorini hotel, and extra flight costs from Emirates

Is there a card that you would recommend they use to file a Trip Interruption claim? What is the likelihood of recovering even a portion of the total loss? Is there one credit card they should use to file the claim or try to file the flight claim under the United Explorer card and the hotel loss under Sapphire card?
Any information would be appreciated.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You would need to call the card used to buy the tickets and ask what coverage they may have. If the tickets were bought the United plus, you would put the claim for the tickets through that card.

Same for the card for the hotels. You can only claim on the card you used for the purchase.

One other thing to know if you look at travel insurance in the future- you must insure the full value of the trip on the policy you buy to cover your entire trip.

We recently had a case that a consumer insured her cruise through the cruise line and her air separately on a different policy. The airlines canceled flights and the OP couldn’t get to the cruise. She put a claim for the flights in on the policy she bought for the flight but when she put in a claim for the cruise with the cruise line, she was denied. The cruise line insurance didn’t cover for cancellations for missing flights- only for illness. And the airline policy only covered the air.

If she had booked it all on one policy the insurance most likely would have reimbursed both.

Reactions: mooooc333 and VoR61

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
You can only file for benefits with the card that was used to pay for the flights. Chase United benefits (if any) would apply to any flights charged to that card; the same with Chase Sapphire. No card will offer coverage for activities not charged to the card. It is the same as insurance on a car rental. If you paid for your car rental with Chase United, Chase Sapphire is not going to offer you any insurance.

Since you are not sure what tickets were charged to what card you need to have the person who charged the tickets respond here. Any other advice offered is a waste of pixels.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
@mooooc333 Quick question... were the flights all on the same ticket?
She says she believes they were purchased separately by her father in law.

It’s too bad because if they were on the same itinerary, they would have had to move them to other flights at no charge.

This is a lesson about the drawbacks of separate tickets if that’s the case.

Reactions: mooooc333 and VoR61
Sep 19, 2015
If the flights were paid with Chase United card then that is the one you should use for the flights.

I suspect that these were different tickets, is that the case? I do not know if the credit card travel insurance covers missing a flight on a separate ticket. Chase says for trip interruption delay the maximum iis:

You can be reimbursed up to $1,500 per person and $6,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable passenger fares, if your trip is cancelled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations.

Good luck. This may be an expensive lesson on booking separate tickets.

Reactions: VoR61

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
BTW this entire itinerary could have been booked on United with one-stop (ORD-MUC-Santorini RT) and United would have taken care of the rebooking without charge. Booking two unconnected tickets means that the traveler has no recourse with either airline when delays cause flights to be missed.

Aug 29, 2019
All are very help and my parents were willing to chalk this whole experience up as a learning experience with the full intentions to utilize insurance on all trips moving forward. Also - thank you for the information on retaining on the same itinerary - that is also very important to note moving forward and something we will keep an eye on.

Aug 29, 2019
BTW this entire itinerary could have been booked on United with one-stop (ORD-MUC-Santorini RT) and United would have taken care of the rebooking without charge. Booking two unconnected tickets means that the traveler has no recourse with either airline when delays cause flights to be missed.
We understand United could have done it. But the whole goal was to take Emirates Business out of Newark (step-dad has a fascination with those planes and the provided service). I'm unsure as to how to get that all on one itinerary without going through a travel agent as they were using varying flight classes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
We understand United could have done it. But the whole goal was to take Emirates Business out of Newark (step-dad has a fascination with those planes and the provided service). I'm unsure as to how to get that all on one itinerary without going through a travel agent as they were using varying flight classes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Since you are posting third-hand, we need to hear from the travelers and the person who charged the tickets. We do not provide third-hand advice when the facts are in question.

If your step-father wishes advice (presuming the tickets were on his credit cards), he is free to post questions here.

Aug 29, 2019
Since you are posting third-hand, we need to hear from the travelers and the person who charged the tickets. We do not provide third-hand advice when the facts are in question.
I am in contact with my parents, and am currently facilitating the process. I am confident the tickets were booked on separate itineraries as they were each booked direct with United Airlines and Emirates Airlines. Not sure what other "facts" are in question.

Sep 19, 2015
I understand wanting to take Emirates versus a domestic carrier.

Chicago to New York flights can be so unpredictable -- two of the most congested airspaces and areas with extreme weather -- there are times that booking an overnight buffer is a good idea with separate tickets.

I bought separate tickets transcontinental versus inter-European trip -- and had a late morning arrival in FRA, stayed overnight, and left the next day. If worse came to worse I could have taken a train to FRA if weather would have been an issue,

Aug 29, 2019
I understand wanting to take Emirates versus a domestic carrier.

Chicago to New York flights can be so unpredictable -- two of the most congested airspaces and areas with extreme weather -- there are times that booking an overnight buffer is a good idea with separate tickets.

I bought separate tickets transcontinental versus inter-European trip -- and had a late morning arrival in FRA, stayed overnight, and left the next day. If worse came to worse I could have taken a train to FRA if weather would have been an issue,
Hindsight always being 20-20. Thank you for the note. They were planning to chalk it all up as an expensive travel lesson before I turned them on to credit card travel benefits. We do no expect a full recovery - and hell, I would argue they aren't entitled to one, but something would be nice in the event it is an added benefit on their cards.

Thanks for the suggestions and input!

Aug 29, 2019

If your step-father wishes advice (presuming the tickets were on his credit cards), he is free to post questions here.
Not sure your gripe with helping me out while I facilitate their recovery efforts and process. I've provided complete and accurate information, of which none of the facts are disputable. I even laid out it out in the post that they were on separate itineraries and what was purchased on which card. If you knowledge does not extend to credit card travel loss claims, then I would ask that you please do not comment.
Thanks

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I am not a travel agent, mooooc333, so I may be mistaken here. Emirates does not appear to be member of the star alliance, so I don't believe United could book him with Emirates. However, for future planning I did find that Emirates will book from ORD-Athens. So a possibility for him.

A travel agent could probably book this all on one PNR (reservation).

And respectfully weihlac and mooooc333, the policy being stated applies ONLY to the Help line advocates who take on cases. Here in the forum, we can advise anyone who requests help, including those inquiring on someone else's behalf. This is from the horse's mouth as it were . . .

Aug 29, 2019
I am not a travel agent, mooooc333, so I may be mistaken here. Emirates does not appear to be member of the star alliance, so I don't believe United could book him with Emirates. However, for future planning I did find that Emirates will book from ORD-Athens. So a possibility for him.

A travel agent could probably book this all on one PNR (reservation).

And respectfully weihlac and mooooc333, the policy being stated applies ONLY to the Help line advocates who take on cases. Here in the forum, we can advise anyone who requests help, including those inquiring on someone else's behalf. This is from the horse's mouth as it were . . .
Thank you for the information and clarification. I appreciate the words and will relay the information. Have a wonderful day.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
When you book a "multi-city" itinerary on United (and other airlines) you can choose the class of service for each leg separately.
Why not use a travel agent? The small added cost would have saved $1000s.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Thank you for the information and clarification. I appreciate the words and will relay the information. Have a wonderful day.
You are welcome. To support Neil's advice, reserving flights on one PNR has advantages when the unexpected happens. The only down side is when the passenger misses a flight that is NOT caused by one of the airlines that are involved. In that case, the airline(s) WILL cancel all of the remaining itinerary. This is critical to know . . .

Aug 29, 2019
When you book a "multi-city" itinerary on United (and other airlines) you can choose the class of service for each leg separately.
Why not use a travel agent? The small added cost would have saved $1000s.
It wasn't my trip and in our state, we have really struggled to find a good local travel agent with experience of Europe - specifically the areas in which they were going. In the future, it will be something they look into should they choose to go to Europe - I agree - the fee of a travel agent far outweighs not having one. I've had it happen on a trip of my own before where someone had an expired passport (twice actually).

And in regards to the multi-city trip component, it was the fact that this was a trip in which Emirates "had" to be the airline they used to fly. I thought it was dumb too as there are far easier ways to get to Greece than WI-IL-NJ-Greece. That was just the route they wanted to go. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Carrie Livingston