Cox Comunications Fails to Honor Its Own Commitment to Keep America Connected

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2020
On April 27, 2020 Cox issued a News Release that reaffirmed "commitment to: not terminate internet or telephone service to any residential or small business customer because of an inability to pay their bills" and extended that "commitment through June 30, 2020. https://newsroom.cox.com/Cox-extend...01.1571555118.1589213717-273839852.1589213717

However, Cox is terminating services. My tv cable, internet and phone were disconnected, without notice, on May 7, 2020. Although I was temporarily re-connected, Cox threatens to disconnect my service again on May 14, 2020. Customer service and collections have been non-responsive, refusing to honor the April 27, 2020 "commitment".

I imagine most Americans, like myself, would re-prioritize finances (e.g. cable bill) if we knew we would be getting shut off (i.e. Cox would not be honoring its "commitment"). Cox's customer service and collections officials suggest its a "misconception" or "misunderstanding" that they have been hearing from many customers. They also suggest, despite hearing from many customers, that they have never seen the April 27, 2020 News Release that reaffirms Cox's "commitment to: not terminate".

So, despite Cox's "commitment", it is business as usual for their collections department.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Were you already behind in payments? Their website says

Payment Relief
To continue our support of the FCC’s Keep America Connected initiative, we are not terminating service and are waiving late fees to any residential customer with an inability to pay a bill due to disruptions caused by the coronavirus pandemic. This commitment is currently in effect through June 30, 2020. Learn more

If you were already behind in payments, that had nothing to do with Corona virus so it doesn’t seem the policy is for that.

May 12, 2020
No. But, that shouldn't matter. It's a commitment not to disconnect for inability to pay. That would include an inability to pay past due balances, or balances due at the time of the first commitment, or future balances (or, the aggregate of such balances).

If Cox makes a commitment to Americans not to terminate or disconnect, then Americans (customers) rely on such "commitment" when prioritizing finances.

UPDATE: The Cox "Pledge to Suport FCCs Keep America Connected" began March 13, 2020 with a commitment not to disconnect for 60 days - which was extended through June 30, 2020 with the April 27, 2020 "commitment".

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019
The commitment is for internet and phone only, not TV according to the news stattement. Can you talk to them, remove the TV which is leisure, and keep internet/phone which are essential?

On their website, it also mentions that "Through June 30, 2020, Cox will not terminate service and will waive late payment fees for customers with an inability to pay as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. To qualify, you must let us know that you are experiencing hardship by chatting with our live agents. " Did you tell them in advance? Their commitment is not a don't pay now policy, I think you should tell them/ask them first.

Also, were you behind payment before? I think their commitment is only for late/delayed payment since the outbreak, not before.
If you explain your situation well (I don't know if you work home, or have kids that need internet, and have proper documentation to prove it), get rid of the TV service, maybe they could reverse it.

Reactions: ADM

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Actually it does matter because what they say is that they are offering this for late payment due to Covid. If you were already late, it isn’t due to Covid- you already were behind. I don’t believe your interpretation is correct. We have seen this before from people who were already late.

In any event, we have company contacts in our Company Contacts page. Here is how to escalate it using the contacts:

May 12, 2020
Were you already behind in payments? Their website says

Payment Relief
To continue our support of the FCC’s Keep America Connected initiative, we are not terminating service and are waiving late fees to any residential customer with an inability to pay a bill due to disruptions caused by the coronavirus pandemic. This commitment is currently in effect through June 30, 2020. Learn more

If you were already behind in payments, that had nothing to do with Corona virus so it doesn’t seem the policy is for that.
The commitment is for internet and phone only, not TV according to the news stattement. Can you talk to them, remove the TV which is leisure, and keep internet/phone which are essential?

On their website, it also mentions that "Through June 30, 2020, Cox will not terminate service and will waive late payment fees for customers with an inability to pay as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. To qualify, you must let us know that you are experiencing hardship by chatting with our live agents. " Did you tell them in advance? Their commitment is not a don't pay now policy, I think you should tell them/ask them first.

Also, were you behind payment before? I think their commitment is only for late/delayed payment since the outbreak, not before.
If you explain your situation well (I don't know if you work home, or have kids that need internet, and have proper documentation to prove it), get rid of the TV service, maybe they could reverse it.
Then, they can cancel my tv cable. But, that's not been their argument.

Please post link to qualifying language. There commitment is expressly a "commitment: to not terminate ... for inability to pay." There are no such qualifying terms in the News Release from March 13, 2020 or April 27, 2020 that require prior notice."

I am in contact with them now, before they once again disconnect my service on May 14, 2020. And they are not honoring their "commitment to: not disconnect".

May 12, 2020
Actually it does matter because what they say is that they are offering this for late payment due to Covid. If you were already late, it isn’t due to Covid- you already were behind. I don’t believe your interpretation is correct. We have seen this before from people who were already late.

In any event, we have company contacts in our Company Contacts page. Here is how to escalate it using the contacts:

I interpreted Cox's "commitment" verbatim. Being late, and being unable to pay (even catch-up, a late bill) are not the same. "Inability to pay" ... means inability to pay a late payment, too. That is, under your scenario, I would have made the late payment, but for the inability to do so because of the COVID-19 (and, due to my reliance on the plain-language reading of Cox's "commitment"). Your interpretation, however common, would only make sense if my service had been disconnected before Cox's initial pledge on March 13, 2020. Nonetheless, I was not late on March 13, 2020 with my bill, though I had a bill pending.

Thank you for the link to company contacts.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Then, they can cancel my tv cable. But, that's not been their argument.

Please post link to qualifying language. There commitment is expressly a "commitment: to not terminate ... for inability to pay." There are no such qualifying terms in the News Release from March 13, 2020 or April 27, 2020 that require prior notice."

I am in contact with them now, before they once again disconnect my service on May 14, 2020. And they are not honoring their "commitment to: not disconnect".
Have you checked their website?

Will my service be disconnected if I can’t pay my bill on time?

Through June 30, 2020, Cox will not terminate service and will waive late payment fees for customers with an inability to pay as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. To qualify, you must let us know that you are experiencing hardship by chatting with our live agents.

Reactions: Skippy
Nov 22, 2019
No. But, that shouldn't matter. It's a commitment not to disconnect for inability to pay. That would include an inability to pay past due balances, or balances due at the time of the first commitment, or future balances (or, the aggregate of such balances).

If Cox makes a commitment to Americans not to terminate or disconnect, then Americans (customers) rely on such "commitment" when prioritizing finances.

UPDATE: The Cox "Pledge to Suport FCCs Keep America Connected" began March 13, 2020 with a commitment not to disconnect for 60 days - which was extended through June 30, 2020 with the April 27, 2020 "commitment".
  • So, you were NOT behind payment, at least until March
  • Did you contact customer service? I know it says commitment blabla but it also says you need to contact customer service to qualify for it. They didn't say "nobody needs to pay now, but in July, and we re fine"
  • It also says for internet/phone only, not TV is mentioned, which makes sense since TV is entertainment and not essential.
If you re in contact with them now, I suggest not arguing about their news statements, just ask to establish a plan for you to keep internet/phone (if phone is useful to you) under their help program, nothing else. The cs agent is not responsible for the news statement that has been made, it is a waste of time to try to convince anyone that the language they are using should let you keep all your services without paying now.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I urge you to use our company contacts and go directly to the Executives, one at a time, and get help if you fall into the parameters of the notice and haven't been helped by the live chats. Many times it takes an Executive to go to that will understand and make sure you are taken care of. We have seen those executives get things done

Reactions: Skippy

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
In re TV: I have a bundled service. Again they never raised this issue of TV.

In re customer service: Yes. I contacted customer service and collections. Customer service says they cannot do anything, it has to be handled by collections. Collections says they don't know anything about the April 27, 2020 News Release, extending through June 30, 2020. And, yeah... the News Release does say 'nobody needs to pay now' by virtue of teh fact that it expressly says Cox will "not terminate ... because of an inability to pay".

See above. I would not be here, seeking advocacy (not argument), if i had not contacted customer service/collections. They are requesting payment, and i am unable to pay. I relied on Cox's "commitment" expressed in their News Releases. It is a perfectly valid statement to make in the face ofobstinent refusal to assist (and, in lieu of any ability to pay).

PS: You people are making the erroneous assumption that one could not be unable to pay now, if they were previously unable to pay in March, i.e. that the cause of both deficient payments must be the same. And, therefore, you beleive that one could not now be unable to pay due to disruptions caused by the pandemic. While the line of reasoning does not apply to me, I must point out thatit is nonetheless.... as absurd as it is illogical!
We have given you the contacts for Cox. Please use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.