Consumer Cellular

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 15, 2020
FYI - I have now filed my complaint with CA Dept. of insurance as suggested by Dept of Consumer Affairs. I have confirmed that the warranty is provided by Consumer Cellular as written in the Owner's Guide provided in the original packaging of the phone. Yes, I still have all of the original paperwork and packaging for this phone.

Reactions: Neil Maley

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
FYI - I have now filed my complaint with CA Dept. of insurance as suggested by Dept of Consumer Affairs. I have confirmed that the warranty is provided by Consumer Cellular as written in the Owner's Guide provided in the original packaging of the phone. Yes, I still have all of the original paperwork and packaging for this phone.
I don't understand the connection between the Dept of Insurance and a phone problem with Target/Consumer Cellular.

May 12, 2020
Oh dear, Consumer Cellular earned a reputation as a customer oriented company. Sorry, Consumer Cellular, but handling this legitimate complaint as you did blemishes your reputation.

May 15, 2020
I have now requested a supervisor's review of my complaint to DCA. The Dept. of Ins. requires an insurance policy for them to be involved. My situation is clearly covered under The Song Beverly Consumer Warranty Act which is a part of DCA publication.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is the oddest thread I've ever read. A cell phone that doesn't work, but the service provider is supposed to fix it ... then add in the Department of Insurance? I cannot bend my little mind around this problem.

Jun 24, 2019
This is the oddest thread I've ever read. A cell phone that doesn't work, but the service provider is supposed to fix it ... then add in the Department of Insurance? I cannot bend my little mind around this problem.
I think the manufacturer of the phone has that deal with the service provider. Otherwise, the manufacturer, has no domestic US solution to defective phones.

May 15, 2020
I think so too. Target needs to replace your phone. Why did you go from Target to the service provider for help? It sounds like a hardware issue, but was it determined to be the service's problem?
As per the owner's guide included in the original packaging, all warranty service is to be provided by Consumer Cellular. Target did refer me to Consumer Cellular when I first brought this issue up to them around October, 2019.

May 15, 2020
This is a real puzzler, I agree. I did return to the original packaging to view the owner's guide again. In the warranty section, they do say that all warranty service is to be provided by Consumer Cellular. I am wondering if Consumer cellular had purchased a quantity of this phone for their displays in various locations and then assumed responsibility for the warranty. Just thinking - I don't know. In any event, we are still working on a solution. The Dept. of Insurance only deals with written insurance policies covering warranty situations. They have responded to my inquiry based on DCA's suggestion to contact them.

Nov 27, 2019
I'm surprised Consumer Cellular didn't just send you another phone. This is a very low cost burner phone, borderline disposable. The wholesale price for them is likely $20-25. You can buy them refurbished on eBay for $25 including shipping.

Reactions: jsn55
May 15, 2020
I'm surprised Consumer Cellular didn't just send you another phone. This is a very low cost burner phone, borderline disposable. The wholesale price for them is likely $20-25. You can buy them refurbished on eBay for $25 including shipping.
I agree with you, Bobthebuilder. I just feel that because Consumer Cellular ran me around trying to fix this issue, that they should have the responsibility to replace the phone. This is not a cost issue, but rather a principle issue with me at this point.

May 15, 2020
I have now received a response to my request for a supervisor's review. After citing a series of references including the Tanner Consumer Protection Act, Article 3 of The Song Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, they claim they do not regulate retail sales of any kind. They again suggested filing in Small Claims Court. They added that I may want to contact The California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General. I shall check Small Claims Court, but I think that the defendant must be local, not out of state. I may pursue the Department of Justice.

Jun 24, 2019
I have now received a response to my request for a supervisor's review. After citing a series of references including the Tanner Consumer Protection Act, Article 3 of The Song Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, they claim they do not regulate retail sales of any kind. They again suggested filing in Small Claims Court. They added that I may want to contact The California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General. I shall check Small Claims Court, but I think that the defendant must be local, not out of state. I may pursue the Department of Justice.

Contact the Attorney General: https://oag.ca.gov/contact/consumer-complaint-against-business-or-company

Assuming you are in Alameda Couny: http://alameda.courts.ca.gov/Pages.aspx/Small-Claims

Consumer Cellular is an Oregon corporation which does business in California: https://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/C...teria=Consumer+Cellular&SearchSubType=Keyword

Reviewing that page will lead you to the address, in California, of Consumer Cellular's agent for service of process. That may satisfy the requirement that the defendant be "local."

Reactions: jsn55
May 15, 2020
Unfortunately, when I performed the business search, the response came back - 'No matches found" I have downloaded the form for the Attorney General's Office and will get it completed this coming week.

Jun 24, 2019
Unfortunately, when I performed the business search, the response came back - 'No matches found" I have downloaded the form for the Attorney General's Office and will get it completed this coming week.

I just double checked. Consumer Cellular, Incorporated. It's there, complete with the nae of the registered agent.

Copy and paste this link:

May 15, 2020
I just double checked. Consumer Cellular, Incorporated. It's there, complete with the nae of the registered agent.

Copy and paste this link:

Thank you for your perseverance. I don't know what I did wrong before, but I got through this time with your guidance.

May 15, 2020
An update on progress made. Department of Consumer Affairs still claims it is out of their jurisdiction. I did file a complaint with the Department of Justice sending them a comprehensive summary of events. They wrote a letter to Consumer Cellular. I don't have a copy of that letter, but Consumer Cellular called me on July 16, 2020, and wanted me to know that they wanted to resolve my issue with a warranty replacement Doro 7050. The replacement phone is scheduled for delivery to my home on Thursday, July 23, 2020. 9 months after I first reported the problem to Target and almost 7 months after I first reported the problem to Consumer Cellular, it looks like this issue may come to a conclusion soon. Thank all of you who contributed to this thread.