Consumer Cellular

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 15, 2020
On March 26, 2019, I purchased a new Doro 7050 cell phone from Target Stores in Hayward, CA, and signed up for new cell service with Consumer Cellular. By Octover, 2019, I had been experiencing a problem with my hone. It was freezing up at various times and at various intervals. I returned to the Target store and the agent offered a "fix" for the phone. She told me to remove the battery, put it back in and try again. This worked, but the "freezing' problem continued to persist. From January 16, 2020, through May 11, 2020, I placed five different calls to Consumer Cellular regarding this problem. I have dates, names and discussion for each call. Each call, I spoke with a different agent and each agent had me perform a different "fix" on my phone. Each time the fix would work for a while and the problem would then return. When in May, 2020, I said that I was tired of doing all of these "fixes" only to have the problem return, I was told there was nothing they could do about it. The phone was out of warranty. I reminded them that I had been reporting this problem to them since October, 2019, and specifically to Consumer Cellular on this line since January, 2020, well before the warranty expiration. Their agent Linda had told me that this was their fault. Someone from Consumer Cellular should have told me this before the warranty expired. On May 13, 2020, their supervisor Dawn told me there was nothing she could do. The phone was out of warranty. She offered to cancel my service, but I told her "no" that I wanted to keep my phone number. I feel that I should get a replacement phone that works.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Under California law (Song Beverly Consumer Warranty Act), if you report an issue under warranty, the warranty does not expire until the issue is fixed. Further, if the issue isn't fixed after a reasonable number of attempts, the vendor must replace or refund the item less a fee for usage. I suggest citing this to Consumer Cellular and, if they don't address the issue, filing a complaint with California Dept of Consumer Affairs.

By the way, you should be able to keep your phone number and switch to a different provider if you no longer want to do business with Consumer Cellular. Before cancelling your Consumer Cellular service, ask the new provider to transfer the number.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Who provided the warranty on the phone? The phone was purchased from Target; Consumer Cellular provides only the cellular service. CC did not sell you the phone. Your phone provider and your cellular service provider are separate.

I purchased my phone from Samsung directly and the warranty is from Samsung.
My cell service is from ATT; they have nothing to do with my phone.

I think you have been asking the wrong service to fix your phone.

May 15, 2020
I contacted Consumer Cellular again today referring them to the CA law. Their 'leadership team" responded with "We are based in Oregon. We do not have to comply with California law." They again denied any assistance in this issue. And, yes, the Doro 7050 manual does say to contact Consumer cellular. When I first reported this to Target in October, 2019, they just offered the suggestion on removing the battery and replacing it. They tried calling Consumer Cellular while I was in the store, but they had to wait on the phone for too long. They would not even change out the SIM card. I am thinking that I shall proceed with filing my complaint with California Dept. of Consumer Affairs.

Should I address the 24 month warranty issue with Target or with Consumer Cellular? The actual phone was in a display case in the Target store as phones offered by Consumer cellular.

Jun 24, 2019
Consumer Cellular is an Oregon corporation licensed to do business in California. Whether they have to comply with California law or not is a legal issue on which we do not advise. As I read the Target site Target is currently selling the Doro 7050 tied to Consumer Cellular right here in California. The cost is $50. If you paid more, I may have misunderstood what you have.

You need to first determine whether it is worth spending more time on trying to fix a $50 phone. Some inexpensive electronic items are simply not worth the effort; no one knows how to fix them, and if they do, the actual cost to fix exceeds $50. Target also sells a service plan for 2 years through Square Trade.

If having an inexpensive phone is your goal, one strategy is to simply buy another Doro phone and service from Consumer Cellular. If you want to know you will be protected for 2 years, pay $20 more for the Square Trade service plan. Square Trade will not fix a broken phone. They will just give you $50 if the phone breaks. Square Trade is a fine company, but no one there fixes $50 phones.

If having the peace of mind of buying a phone that the manufacturer will stand behind, buy an Apple iPhone with AppleCare, from an Apple store. Service there in my experience is exemplary. I've had my phone and my Apple watch replaced out-of-warranty for free. Both times Apple suggested replacing them; I did not even have to ask. And if you have a problem with an iPhone, you can go into the store, and they actually have people who can fix some problems. But that peace of mind comes at 10 times the price. If you live near Hayward, I think there is an Apple Store in the Stoneridge Mall.

You need to decide how much effort you want to invest.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
On March 26, 2019, I purchased a new Doro 7050 cell phone from Target Stores in Hayward, CA, and signed up for new cell service with Consumer Cellular. By Octover, 2019, I had been experiencing a problem with my hone. It was freezing up at various times and at various intervals. I returned to the Target store and the agent offered a "fix" for the phone. She told me to remove the battery, put it back in and try again. This worked, but the "freezing' problem continued to persist. From January 16, 2020, through May 11, 2020, I placed five different calls to Consumer Cellular regarding this problem. I have dates, names and discussion for each call. Each call, I spoke with a different agent and each agent had me perform a different "fix" on my phone. Each time the fix would work for a while and the problem would then return. When in May, 2020, I said that I was tired of doing all of these "fixes" only to have the problem return, I was told there was nothing they could do about it. The phone was out of warranty. I reminded them that I had been reporting this problem to them since October, 2019, and specifically to Consumer Cellular on this line since January, 2020, well before the warranty expiration. Their agent Linda had told me that this was their fault. Someone from Consumer Cellular should have told me this before the warranty expired. On May 13, 2020, their supervisor Dawn told me there was nothing she could do. The phone was out of warranty. She offered to cancel my service, but I told her "no" that I wanted to keep my phone number. I feel that I should get a replacement phone that works.
I think so too. Target needs to replace your phone. Why did you go from Target to the service provider for help? It sounds like a hardware issue, but was it determined to be the service's problem?

May 15, 2020
Who provided the warranty on the phone? The phone was purchased from Target; Consumer Cellular provides only the cellular service. CC did not sell you the phone. Your phone provider and your cellular service provider are separate.

I purchased my phone from Samsung directly and the warranty is from Samsung.
My cell service is from ATT; they have nothing to do with my phone.

I think you have been asking the wrong service to fix your phone.
Thank you for your response. I would agree with what you said, but Target did refer me to Consumer Cellular for warranty service. Consumer Cellular offered different "fixes" in an effort to fix the problem, but were unsuccessful. The one agent at Consumer Cellular did state that this was Consumer Cellular's fault, but she could not get the "leadership team" to do anything about it.

May 15, 2020
Consumer Cellular is an Oregon corporation licensed to do business in California. Whether they have to comply with California law or not is a legal issue on which we do not advise. As I read the Target site Target is currently selling the Doro 7050 tied to Consumer Cellular right here in California. The cost is $50. If you paid more, I may have misunderstood what you have.

You need to first determine whether it is worth spending more time on trying to fix a $50 phone. Some inexpensive electronic items are simply not worth the effort; no one knows how to fix them, and if they do, the actual cost to fix exceeds $50. Target also sells a service plan for 2 years through Square Trade.

If having an inexpensive phone is your goal, one strategy is to simply buy another Doro phone and service from Consumer Cellular. If you want to know you will be protected for 2 years, pay $20 more for the Square Trade service plan. Square Trade will not fix a broken phone. They will just give you $50 if the phone breaks. Square Trade is a fine company, but no one there fixes $50 phones.

If having the peace of mind of buying a phone that the manufacturer will stand behind, buy an Apple iPhone with AppleCare, from an Apple store. Service there in my experience is exemplary. I've had my phone and my Apple watch replaced out-of-warranty for free. Both times Apple suggested replacing them; I did not even have to ask. And if you have a problem with an iPhone, you can go into the store, and they actually have people who can fix some problems. But that peace of mind comes at 10 times the price. If you live near Hayward, I think there is an Apple Store in the Stoneridge Mall.

You need to decide how much effort you want to invest.
I thank you for your response. I do agree with you in that I need to make a decision as to how much time and effort I plan to dedicate to this issue. It is a matter of principle to me.

May 15, 2020
I want to thank all who have taken the time to post a comment and'or assistance in this matter. We shall work it out.

May 15, 2020
I think so too. Target needs to replace your phone. Why did you go from Target to the service provider for help? It sounds like a hardware issue, but was it determined to be the service's problem?
Target did refer me to Consumer Cellular for warranty service. Consumer Cellular in all of our conversations never suggested that they were not the party to contact. They assumed the role of trying to "fix" the phone with different program fixes.

May 15, 2020
I have now filed my complaint with California Department of Consumer Affairs I may also try to contact DORO to see what they say about warranty coverage. Because Target referred me to Consumer Cellular and Consumer Cellular accepted the role of "We'll take care of this and try to program corrections", I felt that Consumer Cellular was the responsible party.

Reactions: Neil Maley
May 15, 2020
Just for your info - follow up. I received an email response from California Dept. of Consumer affairs stating that "This is an issue which falls falls outside of the Department's regulatory authority." They suggested that I contact the California Department of Insurance. I shall try to make contact with DORO and CA Dept. of Ins. this coming week.

Jun 24, 2019
Just for your info - follow up. I received an email response from California Dept. of Consumer affairs stating that "This is an issue which falls falls outside of the Department's regulatory authority." They suggested that I contact the California Department of Insurance. I shall try to make contact with DORO and CA Dept. of Ins. this coming week.
I believe the DCA is in error. Enforcement of the warranty law is their responsibility.

May 15, 2020
I believe the DCA is in error. Enforcement of the warranty law is their responsibility.
I agree with you. I believe that I read that somewhere in their website. But how do we convince them to accept and perform their responsibility? While I consider that idea, I shall continue on my path of contacting DORO and the Department of Insurance. Thanks for your input.

Jun 24, 2019
I agree with you. I believe that I read that somewhere in their website. But how do we convince them to accept and perform their responsibility? While I consider that idea, I shall continue on my path of contacting DORO and the Department of Insurance. Thanks for your input.
You can write to your State Senator or State Assemblyperson and ask for assistance.

Reactions: Neil Maley

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
Since Consumer Cellular is an Oregon company, why not file a complaint with the Oregon equivalent of the DCA? Send a copy of your complaint to CC.