Closing an account with Chase Bank

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 1, 2020
In February I cleared my account with Chase Bank and then called asking to have the account closed. Since then they have been charging that account fees for not meeting minimum balance requirements and overdraft penalties due to the fees. I called in March and April, both times having them remove the fees and penalties, and asked to have that account closed. Again this month I receive emails say that the account is overdrawn, because of deposit minimum fee is applied to the account, causing it to be overdrawn again. When I called this month the associate was less than helpful when asked to speak with a supervisor she went on with an excuse because of COVID-19 they are not available and she could submit a form. I have since then sent email today to the POC's you have listed hoping for action. It should not take 5 months to have an account closed. This is beyond frustrating.

Feb 21, 2018
I'm surprised that no one at Chase told you to send the request in writing. In my experience, banks and credit cards want written proof that the request to close is made and may perform due diligence to ensure the request is coming from the actual account owner.

Hopefully now that you are establishing an email trail your request will be honored.

Reactions: RLB and Skippy
Nov 22, 2019
Was it a regular checking account?
I closed my BoA over the phone. I let some money in it, they closed it in 1-2 days, and mailed me a check within 10 days.
Can you go to a branch to explain them the situation? They should see from the transaction and phone call that you requested to close the account. Maybe you should also send money to put the balance back to $0/$1 and avoid more fees for now. And ask them refunded later.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
I too would be surprised that you could close an account over the phone. The only time I closed an account I went to the bank in person to show ID and sign something.

Since Chase has physical locations, is there not one near you where you can go in person and have them close it? It would likely be quicker than an email campaign since they are dealing with issues stemming from Covid (mortgage forbearance, help with credit card bills, the SBA loans, etc).

Reactions: LindyBee
Aug 29, 2018
In February I cleared my account with Chase Bank and then called asking to have the account closed. Since then they have been charging that account fees for not meeting minimum balance requirements and overdraft penalties due to the fees. I called in March and April, both times having them remove the fees and penalties, and asked to have that account closed. Again this month I receive emails say that the account is overdrawn, because of deposit minimum fee is applied to the account, causing it to be overdrawn again. When I called this month the associate was less than helpful when asked to speak with a supervisor she went on with an excuse because of COVID-19 they are not available and she could submit a form. I have since then sent email today to the POC's you have listed hoping for action. It should not take 5 months to have an account closed. This is beyond frustrating.
I had the same experience after Chase bought the remains of Washington Mutual -- I closed the WaMu account, and Chase spent months charging fees for having a zero balance, then charging overdraft fees and interest.

A quick note to my state's regulators sorted it out.

And I now bank with a credit union.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I closed an account at Chase about 7 months ago and had to sign paperwork acknowledging the closing of the account. So I’m very surprised you did receive paperwork in the mail if you were unable to go into a branch. So YES you need to put it in writing and/or sign the bank disclosures to close an account.

Reactions: jsn55 and Mel65

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
To jump on the bandwagon, I worked for First USA, then Bank One which eventually was bought by Chase years ago. You CANNOT close an account over the phone. They MUST verify your identity. (can you imagine an ex-wife or husband closing their ex's accounts over the phone to mess with them??). If you can't get into a local branch (and who banks where there is no local presence?) then you need to put it in writing, get your signature notarized and send it along with a copy of your driver's license/state issued ID via Fax. This one is on you, I'm afraid.

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
Was it a regular checking account?
I closed my BoA over the phone. I let some money in it, they closed it in 1-2 days, and mailed me a check within 10 days.
I am very surprised you were able to close an account over the phone. You could have been anybody--someone who found your ID, a disgruntled ex, etc... That is, frankly, irresponsible of BoA and I'm glad I don't have a checking/saving account with them (or any bank, actually I'm a 100% credit union gal).

smd

Mar 14, 2018
To jump on the bandwagon, I worked for First USA, then Bank One which eventually was bought by Chase years ago. You CANNOT close an account over the phone. They MUST verify your identity. (can you imagine an ex-wife or husband closing their ex's accounts over the phone to mess with them??). If you can't get into a local branch (and who banks where there is no local presence?) then you need to put it in writing, get your signature notarized and send it along with a copy of your driver's license/state issued ID via Fax. This one is on you, I'm afraid.
Banks today have procedures to verify your identity over the phone. I have had accounts with multiple banks that are not local or that do not have branches (eg Ally). I have never needed to go into a branch or obtain a notarized letter to either transfer money or to close an account.

Reactions: mmb and jsn55

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
Banks today have procedures to verify your identity over the phone. I have had accounts with multiple banks that are not local or that do not have branches (eg Ally). I have never needed to go into a branch or obtain a notarized letter to either transfer money or to close an account.
I know the answer to every question they might ask about my husband, my children, and my brother and sister in law (I've done their taxes for them). If somene stole my purse, they'd likely be able to answer a lot of my questions. For liability if nothing else, the bank should get it in writing so the person can't claim later it wasn't them. Just my opinion.

Reactions: krisseye

smd

Mar 14, 2018
I know the answer to every question they might ask about my husband, my children, and my brother and sister in law (I've done their taxes for them). If somene stole my purse, they'd likely be able to answer a lot of my questions. For liability if nothing else, the bank should get it in writing so the person can't claim later it wasn't them. Just my opinion.
Perhaps, but this is how banks (and other financial institutions) operate these days. Very little is done in person or on paper. Even their forms can be filled out, signed and submitted electronically.

Many banks use a mobile phone as a 2nd factor in identification (eg by sending a text). If your purse contains that much personally identifying information, you should make sure that your phone is password protected or you may very well be at risk.

Nov 22, 2019
I am very surprised you were able to close an account over the phone. You could have been anybody--someone who found your ID, a disgruntled ex, etc... That is, frankly, irresponsible of BoA and I'm glad I don't have a checking/saving account with them (or any bank, actually I'm a 100% credit union gal).
Actually you are right, they didn't ask any question, just address, name, date of birth, and last 4 of SSN if I remember well. It was a basic checking account. They also issued a check to the address on file.

Dec 16, 2018
A few weeks ago I tried to close a savings account at Chase. Since their lobby was closed to the public due to Covid-19, I tried unsuccessfully to close it online. I transferred my entire balance to my checking account but because I was not certain that would officially close the account, I called the next day to confirm. I was advised the account was still considered active and that it would, in fact, soon start incurring monthly charges/service fees. So I requested they close the account over the phone. That request was denied & I was told I would need to come in person with an ID. With the lobby closed, I asked if I could close the account at their drive-thru window. Then the Chase employee asked if there was anyone in the branch that I had a relationship with and I promptly named the associate who always assisted me. Since she knew me as a customer, she was able to close the account over the phone. It is possible that they made this accommodation in part due to the limited service available due to Covid-19 restrictions on their usual operations.

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
M
Perhaps, but this is how banks (and other financial institutions) operate these days. Very little is done in person or on paper. Even their forms can be filled out, signed and submitted electronically.

Many banks use a mobile phone as a 2nd factor in identification (eg by sending a text). If your purse contains that much personally identifying information, you should make sure that your phone is password protected or you may very well be at risk.
I was being facetious about that. As a DoD Information Systems Security Engineer/Cyber Analyst, I'm well aware of the need for electronic security, hence my objection to doing business over the phone/online. I do important things in person whenever possible. However, the point still stands: I've seen exes go to surprising lengths to mess with each other, including cancelling medical appointments, hijacking online bill payer services and cancelling payments so they aren't being paid, AND opening/closing accounts in their name.

May 7, 2020
Yes, with Chase,I simply cancelled an airline credit card, over the phone. No fuss, no hassle. I also have another Chase travel miles credit card which I continue to use, Chase Sapphire.
With Citibank American Airlines credit card, since they elected to end their travel protection plan, sheer Hell, over the phone-e-mails-no responses. From 12/19 to 6/20 they continued to charge the annual fee, adding Punitive charges-interest on the annual fee, came to almost $200, this was the Citibank AAvantage card. Finally, using the Elliott Advocacy contact e-mail,, got cancellation.
Of course, they ruined my FICO score, five months of "delinquencies" just on the annual charge. Horrors, real total badgering