Claim by Amazon retailer that their listing was hacked and altered

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I went to Amazon (where I order ~150 times/yr) to purchase an item. There were many listings for the item I needed, with one listing showing a 2 pack and clearly stating:

"Package included: 2 Packs of XXXXXX". I received only one pack and contacted the supplier requesting that a second pack be sent.

Their response is this:

"Sorry that happened. From time to time other sellers think it is funny to hurt competition and amazon customers by changing listings. This was a one pack only and the pictures were one pack and the listing did not say anything about that when we listed it. The problem is there are horrible people out there that mess with stuff on amazon. Amazon should kick those people off that they can find out that mess with listings but they do not. One day hopefully they will get the picture.
In the mean time we can offer you a discount of $XX off what you paid or send you a pre paid return label free of charge and a full refund to send them back. The least expensive I see a real single back on amazon is $XX. As you can see $XX does not work when we pay $XX for them and shipping cost us $3.00 and amazon fees is 15% of the XX.
If we could catch people that mess with these listing they would not think it was so funny when we got done.
Anyways sorry for all the hassle for other people that ruin stuff.
Let us know what you would like us to do moving forward."

Essentially they are claiming, without evidence, that their listing on Amazon was hacked and changed by persons or parties unknown.

I have never heard such claim, nor have I had a retailer refuse to honor their Amazon ad listing. Amazon is investigating, but my posting is to see if anyone else has encountered a similar claim.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I don't shop with Amazon very often, but this retailer has explained why you received only one item instead of two, and has offered you a refund. This seems to me to be legit. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised that hackers do things like this just for fun.

Reactions: Carrie Livingston

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
What really irks me about the whole scenario is the lack of professionalism in the response. What an odd couple of phrases to use: there are horrible people out there that mess with stuff on amazon. Amazon should kick those people off that they can find out that mess with listings but they do not.

My guess? This business is run by a bunch of novices that have little knowledge on how to actually run a business....they made a mistake in their marketing and are trying to blame Amazon for their problem.

Nov 14, 2016
I'd like to know the prices because I think it's relevant here. If the price of two was lower (or equal to) the price of one for everyone else then *perhaps* it could be plausible. But we're stretching belief a wee bit here.

1. I have a difficult time believing that they didn't get the listing title when they fulfilled the order that said TWO and they somehow missed it. That defies belief that they fulfilled the order without looking at the order title.
2. Given that listing requires security I also have a difficult time believing that this kind of "hacking" takes place all the time. You just can't go in and magically change someone else's listings.
3. I've never heard of it and there are scant few instances of this when searching on Google (or I haven't come across the magical combination of phrases for the search engine to find them). Yet they seem to claim it happens commonly.

Now the reaction from the seller is reasonable - send it back for a full refund or take a discount - but it does seem more than just a bit odd.

I tend to believe Neil's reasoning because it's the simplest explanation - the seller screwed up and now they don't want to make good on their listing. I'd wait for Amazon to finish their investigation before doing anything else. I think if Amazon won't do anything I'd tell them to issue a UPS call tag and come pick it up because I don't like doing business with people who make excuses.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I'd like to know the prices because I think it's relevant here. If the price of two was lower (or equal to) the price of one for everyone else then *perhaps* it could be plausible. But we're stretching belief a wee bit here.

1. I have a difficult time believing that they didn't get the listing title when they fulfilled the order that said TWO and they somehow missed it. That defies belief that they fulfilled the order without looking at the order title.
2. Given that listing requires security I also have a difficult time believing that this kind of "hacking" takes place all the time. You just can't go in and magically change someone else's listings.
3. I've never heard of it and there are scant few instances of this when searching on Google (or I haven't come across the magical combination of phrases for the search engine to find them). Yet they seem to claim it happens commonly.

Now the reaction from the seller is reasonable - send it back for a full refund or take a discount - but it does seem more than just a bit odd.

I tend to believe Neil's reasoning because it's the simplest explanation - the seller screwed up and now they don't want to make good on their listing. I'd wait for Amazon to finish their investigation before doing anything else. I think if Amazon won't do anything I'd tell them to issue a UPS call tag and come pick it up because I don't like doing business with people who make excuses.
The price listed was somewhat higher than other Amazon listings for one item. There are postings from non-Amazon vendors for one item that are 2/3 the price they were quoting. The only reason the order was placed with this vendor was that they offered a pack of two.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I don't shop with Amazon very often, but this retailer has explained why you received only one item instead of two, and has offered you a refund. This seems to me to be legit. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised that hackers do things like this just for fun.
The issue is not the item or its price. The issue is that they are claiming that Amazon is an insecure platform and that Amazon vendor listings are hacked. Has anyone encountered this claim or excuse from an Amazon vendor?

Dec 11, 2016
This is a legitimate Amazon issue. My company produces a branded product which I'll call "widgets". Other resellers in addition to our company sell our branded product through Amazon. Amazon has recently allowed other sellers to change product descriptions of existing item numbers, which affects our own listings. Suddenly customers are surprised when they receive a red widget instead of a blue widget. We're currently addressing this with Amazon, and it's shocking to me that other sellers can alter product descriptions that affect others. This impacts not only the consumer, but also the reputation of sellers and the manufacturer's brand.

The Amazon seller in the OP didn't have the most professional response, however I feel they offered a reasonable solution. This situation is likely costing them a great deal of money and aggravation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is a legitimate Amazon issue. My company produces a branded product which I'll call "widgets". Other resellers in addition to our company sell our branded product through Amazon. Amazon has recently allowed other sellers to change product descriptions of existing item numbers, which affects our own listings. Suddenly customers are surprised when they receive a red widget instead of a blue widget. We're currently addressing this with Amazon, and it's shocking to me that other sellers can alter product descriptions that affect others. This impacts not only the consumer, but also the reputation of sellers and the manufacturer's brand.

The Amazon seller in the OP didn't have the most professional response, however I feel they offered a reasonable solution. This situation is likely costing them a great deal of money and aggravation.
Thank you for this information. This seems like a totally implausible story but your post confirms it is happening.

So if what you say is true Amazon must be aware of this- is that correct?

Reactions: John Galbraith
R

Realitoes

Apparently it has been going on for a while (posts from 2014):

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=3022585

http://theamazingseller.com/tas-147...-your-listing-ex-amazon-employee-reveals-how/

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Just file an Amazon ABC or XYZ claim (I forgot what it is called). I have filed a few against 3rd party merchants. Takes about 2 minutes and you will certainly prevail. Amazon will deal with the merchant's complaint through a separate process. That's not your concern.

May 17, 2016

I agree with you. It seems highly improbable that someone messed with their listing. And when returning merchandise to Amazon, there's always a place to explain the problem. All you need to do is say the merchandise was not as described--you got one instead of two. I'm confident Amazon will straighten it out--maybe even kick the seller off the site.

Dec 11, 2016
I personally wouldn't file an AtoZ claim. The seller was upfront in their reply about why you received the wrong item, and they offered to pay postage for the return. When I see suggestions about filing an AtoZ claim and keeping the item for free, it feels like the buyer is trying to take advantage. I sense that isn't the intention here, so I'd simply return the item for refund.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
More accurately, it is amazon who decides whether you should return the product (and provides free return postage) or tells you to just keep the product and refunds your money either immediately or when they receive the product by return.

Reactions: joycexyz

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Amazon response thus far is to send an initial email on July 15 with no follow-up:

Message From Customer Service
Hello,

I am sorry to hear about the problem you had with the XXX you ordered from this seller and seeing your communication with them, I can see that they are not quite helping. No worries, I am here to personally take accountability and I will do everything I can to provide you the resolution for this issue as possible.

To help you with this, I have already contacted this seller to get their attention and demand them to resolve this issue as soon as possible. You'll receive a copy of this e-mail shortly.

You can also view communications with sellers here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/communication-manager/outbox.html

Please note that all Amazon Marketplace orders and most Amazon Merchant orders are covered by our A-to-z Guarantee. For eligible orders, if you think this seller is not helping, you can file a claim by entering your order number (ABCDE) here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/a-z-guarantee/submit-claim.html

If you need assistance submitting your claim, please visit the following link and select either the 'chat' or 'phone' option:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us

You'll also find information about submitting, eligibility, processing times and how to check your claim status on our Help pages:
http://www.amazon.com/help/a-to-z-guarantee

I appreciate your patience, cooperation and understanding in this matter. It is our privilege to have you as our valued customer & we want to make sure you are always taken cared of.

We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again in the near future.

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the buttons below to vote about your experience today.

Best regards,
Michaelangelo
Amazon.com

Last edited:
May 17, 2016
I wish our writer would come back and update us. I am curious as to what Amazons response was.
In my experience, Amazon takes misrepresentation very seriously. I saw a listing for a product that had an improbably low price. I contacted the seller and received an evasive answer. I indicated this in the follow-up to Amazon, and the seller is no longer on Amazon.

Reactions: sas80
Feb 9, 2016
Amazon will make it right if you are a customer in good standing, which I assume you are.

the other alternative is to return the item and get a full refund

Status
Not open for further replies.