Cheapoair sold tickets on AirBerlin, now flights are cancelled

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 7, 2017
In July I purchased tickets Budapest/New Delhi, thru CheapoAir, on AirBerlin. I did not know at the time that AirBerlin was in bankruptcy proceedings.
I called Cheapo two days ago at the suggestion of my friend a pilot to check the status of my flights. Cheapo was unable to confirm any part of my reservation, neither the Outward or return. After being on hold with them on and off for over 45 minutes while they attempted to contact AirBerlin, I have been instructed to check back for my outward flight status September 30-3 days before my departure, and for my return flight status after October 23.
I asked Cheapo what my rights were, as I am very uncomfortable traveling under these conditions. I was told I needed to contact AirBerlin to ask for a refund. AirBerlin states since I bought the tickets through Cheapo I need to work through them.

Nov 14, 2016
What a lousy situation. I still marvel at the idea that people will book tickets through a firm called CheapoAir. I can't fathom using "Cheapo Break Repair", "Cheapo Heart Surgery" or even "Cheapo Meat Company"....or CheapoAir.

In my view, you paid Cheapo to book your tickets since they made a fee off of you. You paid them for the tickets. They need to process the refund or confirm your flights, not AirBerlin. I also would not accept an answer that says "wait until 3 days before departure". That's a recipe for disaster. Either you have a confirmed reservation on a scheduled flight or you don't. If they can't find the reservation they need to refund the money. It's very simple. So don't take that "you need to call AirBerlin for an answer" bunk.

Personally, I'd give Cheapo one chance (in writing) to confirm the reservation, seat assignments and flights or cancel the tickets. If they can't, or won't, I'd start back charge-back proceedings on my credit card ASAP. This would give you at least a few weeks to find alternative travel arrangements. You're almost certainly going to pay more for your flights now but far less than you would if you were forced to book 3 days in advance.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
CheapOair and AirBerlin, could there be a worse pair? I'm so sorry, Delilah, and I wish I had a magic wand. You are in an awful position. In your place, I would book new tix ASAP; the chances of AB flying you to New Delhi from Budapest are remote. I just read that they will be only flying short-haul out of Berlin ... but during bankruptcy things can change quickly. Fares on their long-haul routes will go up, their competition will make sure of that. So two things for you: rebook your trip so that's safe. Do NOT use an online booking agency, use a real travel agent or book directly with an airline. Then, go after CheapO and see if they can help get you a refund. I'm sorry to say that it's not very likely, but we do see miracles here every once in a while. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Reactions: Warren

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Delilah Moon First question... Did you use a credit card? If so, you're covered (you'll get your money back at least) if they don't operate your flight and AirBerlin charged the card.
Second question... Who charged your card? If it was CheapO, they're on the hook to provide what you purchase. If not, chargeback time.
Third question... Do you have a AirBerlin confirmation #? If so, check your flight directly with them. If it's cancelled, you get a refund.

Either way, if the flight doesn't go, you're probably safe. The rest of your vacation is toast but the flight is covered.

EDIT: Check your credit card for travel insurance too.... It might help you

Reactions: jsn55 and Warren

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You say the flights are canceled. Did you receive a cancellation notice? Or do you have tickets that you aren't sure are going to be going out?

If your flights were actually canceled, they owe you a refund. And you should call your credit card company and ask them if you should file a dispute.

If the flight still shows as departing and you are just concerned they aren't going to fly, it's a different story.