Charges for calls to undisclosed international number

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 3, 2020
Unlike calls to most foreign countries, calling the 20 member countries in the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) do not require dialing the 011 prefix before the area code and telephone number. This can result in unintended wireless usage charges. For example, a consumer receiving a missed call from an unknown number in the Bahamas (area code 242) who returns that call can incur a minimum our-of-plan charge of $15 (AT&T). It would seem the wireless carrier has a obligation to warn their customer the call they are intending to make will incur out-of-plan charges.

Sep 19, 2015
Unlike calls to most foreign countries, calling the 20 member countries in the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) do not require dialing the 011 prefix before the area code and telephone number. This can result in unintended wireless usage charges. For example, a consumer receiving a missed call from an unknown number in the Bahamas (area code 242) who returns that call can incur a minimum our-of-plan charge of $15 (AT&T). It would seem the wireless carrier has a obligation to warn their customer the call they are intending to make will incur out-of-plan charges.
I do not think that it practical. Different people have different plans -- how would that programming work? There are plans with unlimited calls to Canada.

There are numerous one ring call scams, which may be from international numbers or 900 numbers.

Why call missed call if the caller cannot be bothered to leave a message?

$15 for a call to the Bahamas sounds like a one ring scam as the highest ATT mobile call to that area is $3.00 per minute -- unless that was a 5 minute phone call.

Here is information from the FTC

• Don't answer or return any calls from numbers you don't recognize.

• Before calling unfamiliar numbers, check to see if the area code is international.

Feb 3, 2019
It would seem the wireless carrier has a obligation to warn their customer the call they are intending to make will incur out-of-plan charges.
That might be a nice idea, but an obligation? Hardly.

It's incredibly quick and easy to check the geographic location of the area code for any number before placing or returning a call. The carrier cannot be responsible for the customer's failure to do so.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You have my sympathy, this is an expensive way to learn to not return calls from unknown numbers, and to annotate the rules of your cell phone carrier so you avoid trouble. I'm sorry this happened.

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
Why would you call or accept a call from a number you do not know and are not expecting? Not necessarily trying to blame the victim here, but call scams are well publicized and I am honestly baffled. $15 is a relatively inexpensive life lesson in the grand scheme of things.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
My husband didn’t answer a call yesterday that was from Michigan (we live in FL.)
Soon after, an employee of our a/c servicing company showed up to do some work needed for a county code thing.
He said he called....
I said, why didn’t you leave a message?
He shrugged.
(sigh)

• Haha
Reactions: Pixie Pie

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
My husband didn’t answer a call yesterday that was from Michigan (we live in FL.)
Soon after, an employee of our a/c servicing company showed up to do some work needed for a county code thing.
He said he called....
I said, why didn’t you leave a message?
He shrugged.
(sigh)
I think I'd have been VERY tempted to say, "Well, I'm sorry this is not a convenient time; we were just leaving." And then walked out closing the door behind you. I don't answer the door if I'm not expecting someone just like I don't answer unknown calls. I don't care if they *know* I'm home and can hear me yelling at the dogs to stop barking. If I'm not expecting them, and they choose to just show up and I don't feel like answering the door, I don't answer it!

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
I got a phone call from the country of Jordan this morning. No, I didn't answer it and no, I'm not calling it back.

Reactions: jsn55