Charged for Canceled line

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 14, 2020
Bought a phone for my daughter on 11/16/19 at At&t store with discount to add new line. I was told by salesperson that I could cancel the new line not in use in two months. I called at&t on 1/18/20 to cancel line. At no point was I told that I had to pay the remaining balance of phone. On 02/13/20, $1,172.14 (remaining balance of phone) was taken out of my checking account . I was also told that a new line was going to be $10 a month but I was charged $24.33 this month. Spent most of my morning talking to three employees. The last employee promised to call me back before 5:30pm but never did.

It seems the phone was not activated on the correct line. When calling customer service, at no point was I told that I was going to be charged the remaining balance of the phone.

What options do I have?

Dec 19, 2014
What was your purchase prices of the phone?
When you purchase a phone and activate a new line, the cost of the phone is "financed" through 24 months. If you cancel the line, then you are liable for the cost of the phone.
When you purchased the phone, there was a contract. What does your contract language say?

If the purchase price is not what was stipulated in the contract, then you have a case. Otherwise, this is standard protocol, and based on what you wrote, it does not appear that AT&T did anything improper.

With regards to the monthly payments, again, what did your contract say? Even if your rate is $10 a month, there are additional fees and taxes that can add to the bill. If a charge cannot be explained and is not in your contract, then you can appeal to be credited the additional payment.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
I've never heard of not owing the balance of the phone upon cancellation of the line. The odds of this not being in the contract you signed is slim.

Reactions: jsmithw
Dec 19, 2014
I've never heard of not owing the balance of the phone upon cancellation of the line. The odds of this not being in the contract you signed is slim.
What's worse, is that depending on the contract, canceling the line may result in voiding of the promotional terms. So you may owe the full value of the phone, which may be more than the promotional value!

Feb 14, 2020
I went in to the store yesterday and spoke with a manager. The salesperson activated the phone on the wrong line , a line not in use. I thought I canceled a line not in use. The phone is being used on an active line. The manager admitted that the employee made a mistake. The employee no longer works at the store.
I was not aware that I was canceling a line that was part of a new phone or else of course I would have never done so.

Feb 14, 2020
No it is not. The manager said that she would submit a report and see if she could get me account credits later on. I am not counting on it.

Skippy

May 30, 2019
Suggestions: Be polite and persistent. Gather facts, names and times of contacts, politely and discretely. You will find them useful should you need to escalate to AT&T corporate.

Reactions: jsn55
Dec 19, 2014
I went in to the store yesterday and spoke with a manager. The salesperson activated the phone on the wrong line , a line not in use. I thought I canceled a line not in use. The phone is being used on an active line. The manager admitted that the employee made a mistake. The employee no longer works at the store.
I was not aware that I was canceling a line that was part of a new phone or else of course I would have never done so.
I am confused now.
When you went to purchase the new phone, were you using a promotional deal (ie discounted phone)?

In your original post you state
"Bought a phone for my daughter on 11/16/19 at At&t store with discount to add new line."

In post #7 you state
"I went in to the store yesterday and spoke with a manager. The salesperson activated the phone on the wrong line , a line not in use. I thought I canceled a line not in use. The phone is being used on an active line."

Did you add a new line for your daughter, or were you using the phone on an existing line? If I am reading your response correctly, you bought a phone using a promotional plan to use on your daughter's line. If it was NOT a new line, then the promotional terms do not apply. Nearly all the promotional terms where you get a discount on a phone require you to activate a new line and maintain the line for a minimum duration (typically 24 months).

The minute you deactivate the "new" line, the promotional terms are null and void, and you will be billed the non-promotional amount.

Is this what happened?