Charged damaged which I did not cause

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 13, 2019
Hi there
Hire a car from Hertz, Konstanz, Germany.
8 weeks later returned car. Owner, blonde nasty woman, won't allow us to come out to inspect car with her. She drives away and comes back approx 30 mins later!!!!
Now she tells us to come to the 100 meter away parked car to show us a scratch on the car.
We do not believe that we caused it.
We wanted to know why and where she went with the car for that long etc.
I receive a charge of approx $600.
I asked for prove that the lady dididn'tcause it.
Hertz replied, they won't have to prove anything and I need to pay.
I took this cause to some kind of CEO of Hertz, but still Hertz didn't back off.
On top of the thread to pay for a damage I did not cause, Hertz threatens now "pay up or you will end on a no rental list.
I believe the car was not damaged before I dropped it off, my wife was with me as a witness.
Unfortunately we did not take pictures when returned and parked at Hertz.

Now they employed a debt collection agency to demand close to $1000!
I still refuse to pay for something I did not cause and they can't proof that the damage did not occur while the lady took it for a 30 min joyride.
What are my options?
I am happy to go to court
[email protected]

Apr 13, 2019
Hi Christina
I wrote to the contacts from Hertz Elliot advisors provided.
I had one reply from the USA. They were not really interested in and wrote "We hope, to see you soon at Hertz again"!

Apr 13, 2019
Hi Neil, I wrote to the few emails I received once. Then I followed up later if they received it.
Because only 1 replied, but with no interest whatsoever.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
“I am happy to go to court” really? That WILL be in Germany where the language and laws are completely different. Why have you not submitted this to your own Car Insurance Company?

Apr 13, 2019
Hi there
Sorry "happy" was a poor choice of a word.
English is my second language.
I am German. But have been living in Australia for 22 years.
What I meant was, when Hertz really wants to take me to court, then I will go to court.
I strongly believe, I did not cause the damage. And the owner had to prove to me, that she did not cause the damage while she had the car in her possession.
My car insurance in Australia does not cover the damage.
Only third party.

Apr 13, 2019
Hello, very sorry for late reply.
I am in central America and don't have internet avail often.
Just went through my emails to Hertz.
I did write to 4 different emails you guys provided.
Started in April.
I did email and waited 5 to 7 days between each. Then I emailed again, because only one , Jade, replied.
I did email Jade again 02. MAY, then 10.MAY Mr Malts Arnold.
15.MAY Jade g again,
22. MAY a Mr Sunny R.
7. June Mrs Papa.
Only Jade G replied

Apr 13, 2019
Hi guys,
Really like your help and appreciate your time.
Would it be too late now to contact the executives again, or is it too late because it is with the collection agency?
For me it is that I think, that I have been charged for a damaged I did not cause.
Last month I did book a car with Dollar in Vegas. I was not aware that Dollar belongs to Hertz.
They put me on a No rental list, so I could not hire that car etc

Jan 11, 2019
Hi guys,
Really like your help and appreciate your time.
Would it be too late now to contact the executives again, or is it too late because it is with the collection agency?
For me it is that I think, that I have been charged for a damaged I did not cause.
Last month I did book a car with Dollar in Vegas. I was not aware that Dollar belongs to Hertz.
They put me on a No rental list, so I could not hire that car etc
If it were me, I would tell the collection agency, in writing that you dispute the charge and for them to not contact you again. Then I would wrote a letter, make copies and send them to the credit agencies disputing the charge so that there will be an explanation for why you have an unpaid debt. Meanwhile I guess you can keepwriting and disputing the charge or give in and pay it if you're worried about your credit. It will drop off after 7 years.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Of course you can write but I would write to the top executive, give the names and dates you wrote to the others and tell him you didn’t receive help from any and you would appreciate his help or a referral to Executives in Germany if he can’t help you.

Reactions: bernie006
Sep 19, 2015
If it were me, I would tell the collection agency, in writing that you dispute the charge and for them to not contact you again. Then I would wrote a letter, make copies and send them to the credit agencies disputing the charge so that there will be an explanation for why you have an unpaid debt. Meanwhile I guess you can keepwriting and disputing the charge or give in and pay it if you're worried about your credit. It will drop off after 7 years.
The OP is in Australia so there may be a different process.

Apr 13, 2019
Thank you very much for your time to help me.
I can not express enough how much I appreciate it.
I will follow your advice.
Again thank you.
Have a great day
Bernie

Apr 13, 2019
Hi Neil
Thank you very much for helping me.
I appreciate your time very much
It is great to know that I am not alone in this.
I will follow your advice and will write more emails.
Would you know who the top executive for Hertz is?
Another customers advice here I will follow as well and write to the collection agency to back off and explain what happened.
Again Neil, your advice is very appreciate it