Changing a purchased package trip's itinerary

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 6, 2017
I bought a packaged trip, airfare and hotels, from Azores Getaways (AG) for 4 days in Cape Verde Island (CV), and three days in Azores. The flight goes from Boston to Azores, change planes, Azores to CV. Return from CV to Azores, and then return to Boston.

I decided that was too much travel for 7 days, and asked AG if I could cancel the CV portion and just use the Azores part. AG told me that after I missed one leg of the itinerary (i.e. Azores to CV), my tickets would be cancelled. They said I'd have to buy a new return ticked from Azores to Boston.

I spoke with the airlines, generally describing my situation, and they told me that they would send my luggage on to CV. I told all this to AG, they discussed it, and they called me back and said it would be OK to use my flight in from the package, and they sent me a link on their site to purchase another Azores to Boston ticket, which I did. It is on an earlier flight, that same day. We'd like to carry our luggage on the flight to Azores, if we can't check all the way through.

Can we do this successfully, without getting in trouble?

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
It is standard airline practice to cancel the remaining flights for a single itinerary when you are a "no show", which will happen if you do not cancel the Azores to CV portion of your trip. The CV-Azores-Boston return would thus be cancelled.

The "no show" occurs at the moment you fail to board that particular flight, so if you do board the first leg (Boston to Azores) you should be fine since you bought a separate ticket back for Azores to Boston (not on original itinerary).

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I was wrong about the last part. You cannot book two flights covering the same route on the same day. The airlines will cancel all your reservations. At least that's the way it is for domestic airlines.

You will need to cancel and re-book your original reservation as well.

Example from Delta's Contract of Carriage:

https://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/pdfs/legal/contract_of_carriage_dom.pdf

"In the event Delta determines that an individual has confirmed such bookings to one or more destination(s) on or about the same date(s),the carrier reserves the right to cancel all confirmed space associated with the multiple reservations without notice to the passenger or the person making the booking."

Last edited:
Reactions: Patina
Aug 29, 2015
Back up.
You want to take the first leg, but not ongoing?

Can the travel agent simply cancel the flights from the Azores to CV and the return, since it seems you already purchased your return trip ticket? If the ticketing agent cancels the 2nd, 3rd and 4th segments ahead of time, you may be OK. You'd use the first segment to get to your destination, then the separate ticket you purchased to get home.

The ticketing agent MUST cancel the other legs, or your most recent purchase may be canceled.

Also, did you make stay arrangements for the end of that first segment on your own?

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Back up.

Can the travel agent simply cancel the flights from the Azores to CV and the return, since it seems you already purchased your return trip ticket? If the ticketing agent cancels the 2nd, 3rd and 4th segments ahead of time, you may be OK. You'd use the first segment to get to your destination, then the separate ticket you purchased to get home.

The ticketing agent MUST cancel the other legs, or your most recent purchase may be canceled.

Also, did you make stay arrangements for the end of that first segment on your own?
I searched a bit and couldn't find it, but I believe that if you want to cancel just one or more "legs" the airline will charge a change fee, as it becomes a new ticket at that point. This to prevent Hidden City bookings.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Back up.

Either I'm taking stupid pills, or this is not a problem. I think Algebra has it right. But I think your 'new' tix home from AZ should be issued after you arrive in AZ. You'd then cancel the ongoing flight to CV and your return home. You'd not ever be in a position of holding two reservations for the same flights. I'm thinking that the travel agent has a very good relationship with the airline and can make this work.

Michelle Couch-Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
The problem is that the "travel agent" he is referencing is an OTA... they already told him that he must fly the original ticket exactly as ticketed ( he can't change it). So, he says, they recommended that he just skip the flight to Cape Verde and buy a new additional one-way ticket from the same OTA. He already did this...

He came to us looking for reassurance that there will be no problems with this plan -- I don't think we can give him that.

Reactions: Patina and jsn55
May 6, 2017
Back up.

I was away for a few days, and just getting back to the thread. I did make arrangements on my own for AZ for the first days, when I would have been in CV. Now, I'm just a little worried.
Thanks for all the advice.

May 6, 2017
We absolutely cannot guarantee he won't have a problem. I think it is going to be a problem but it seems you have already bought your tickets for the extra flight.

I hope you'll come back and let us know if it worked. Your travel agency isn't the best if they advised you to ask us.
I will get back to you with the full story, assuming I get back.
Thanks.