Cayman Vacations Won't Refund Even Though Borders Closed

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 22, 2020
In September, we booked a vacation for our family of 5 to Grand Cayman for this July. We paid 50% as our down payment, just over $1,000. We booked directly through a local company, https://www.caymanvacation.com/. Their policy really doesn't grant any refunds. Never did I imagine that we would not be able to go. The Cayman Islands have taken a super strict approach to the pandemic and their borders are closed until at least August 31st. We asked for a refund and were told that we can have credit to stay at the same unit within the next 18 months. Here are our thoughts/concerns:
1) We truly are worried about what travel and tourism will be left in the Cayman Islands. There is talk about the borders closing longer, tourism workers are leaving the island (if they can) and business are closing.
2) We are unsure if we can make it back in the next 18 months due to our family commitments / schedules.
3) The future outlook of international travel is quite uncertain at this time.
4) We want a refund!

Is there anything we can do?? The purchase wasn't made on a credit cart with travel insurance. This was the one part of the trip that wasn't covered by insurance (if that even helps currently).

Note: I have the contract handy but wasn't sure I should post it with all my personal info in it.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
If the contract doesn't say anything about a refund if they cancel then I think you might be stuck with the credit.

Jul 13, 2016
Even though you want a refund, you are only eligible for a credit as per their terms. I realize that the world of travel is very uncertain (I am a travel agent out of work at the moment, with no hope of a pay check for at least another year), but the 18-month valid credit is better than nothing. Everyone is losing out right now--in jobs, money, family-life, security, and general well-being. We should count ourselves lucky to have our heath and our families right now. I would take the credit, and hope that tourism on the island comes back once this virus is under control.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
As much as you want a refund, these islands are hit extremely hard during economic downturns. They do not have the means to refund you. They don't receive bail outs, they don't have alternative ways to make a living. They rely heavily on tourism and suffer greatly when tourists cannot visit. They also do not have the infrastructure that many countries have regarding medical care. They literally cannot afford to have their island be a hot spot for Covid-19. With all that said, I would take the credit and hope that they are able to weather this financial storm and that you will be able to visit their island.

Last edited:

ADM

Apr 10, 2017
As much as you want a refund, these islands are hit extremely hard during economic downturns. They do not have the means to refund you. They don't receive bail outs, they don't have alternative ways to make a living. They rely heavily on tourism and suffer greatly when tourists cannot visit. They also do not have the infrastructure that many countries have regarding medical care. They literally cannot afford to have their island be a hot spot for Covid-19. With all that said, I would take the credit and hope that they are able to weather this financial storm and that you will be able to visit their island.
Well said. I believe the Cayman Islands will be able to weather this better than most. So far they've done a good job keeping the virus at bay and they don't want to jeopardize their efforts. My husband and I are hoping to go there in early December. It's a wonderful place to visit. I hope OP and his family can reschedule their trip for next summer.

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My colleagues have said it all ... you have my sympathy, I wish there was a magic wand available. I'd start now to figure out when to rebook. I wouldn't book any air until you are sure that everything is open and ready to go in Cayman. And be sure to buy travel insurance. Any time you lay out cash for future travel of any kind, refundable or not, you need to decide whether to self-insure or purchase a policy.