Cash Refund vs Cruise Certificate Credit

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 22, 2020
In January I booked a Great Lakes cruise with Victory Cruises on the Victory II for two family members. The tour was July 16-23. Due to the threat of COVID-19 being an issue (both guests are high risk due to age and health), I had to make a decision to cancel in April since the cruise line was giving an April 30th cancellation date with the penalty fees and travel insurance money being turned into a future cruise certificate rather than a loss. This amounts to $1,267.75 for each guest. The certificate could be used 2020-2021.

In looking at the website this month, all Victory II cruises have been cancelled and a full refund is now an option. I called to request a full cash refund but was denied.

In looking at future trips on the Great Lakes, there are no future dates in 2020. The only dates for 2021 are in May, very late Aug, and Oct. Both of the guests are teachers, so that will not work.

Presumably there will be 2022 dates, however, none are posted as yet. Furthermore, the 2021 dates are over $500 more than what was paid.

Given the lack of availability for 2021, I have resubmitted another request for a cash refund. I have not heard anything back as yet.

Looking forward to your feedback.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Unfortunately this is an issue of canceling too soon. When you canceled you canceled under the T&Cs at the time which was a future cruise credit. See question 5 in this article

Reactions: Skippy and Patina
Jul 13, 2016
Had you made full payment for the cruise, or just a deposit and trip protection?

It really sucks that a cruise next year is going to cost more than what you paid for this aborted cruise. But that is common and is going to happen to air tickets, cruises, new cars, etc etc.

It doesn't hurt to ask again, though. Good luck.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The cancelation terms that were in effect at the time you canceled are unfortunately the legal terms with what you are stuck with.

Had you not canceled and waited to see if the cruise line canceled the cruise, you would have been entitled to a refund.

“For guests that are booked to depart before June 30, 2020 and those booked onboard the Victory II, no action is necessary at this time. Our customer service team will be contacting guests to discuss your travel options and will be making every effort to offer you the flexibility you deserve so that you can enjoy a cruise with us soon. Our team is committed to working with you to select a future sailing with us and will be offering a special incentive of a future cruise credit for 125% of the cruise fare for those who have been impacted by this sailing suspension for those reservations that have been paid in full. Alternatively, guests can seek a full refund that will be processed within 90 days per the cruise industry’s standard practice.“

We have a story about canceling too soon- please read #4:

Reactions: Patina and Skippy

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Cash flow is becoming an enormous issue for travel providers. Even if they'd like to refund, they may not be able to. Plus, savvy travellers are rebooking their cruises right away to obtain just what they want. So the chances of receiving a cash refund are small. Your teachers can't travel with the 2021 schedule, so I'd get the cruise rebooked for 2022 as soon as the sailing schedule comes out. I'm looking at a similar situation and am beaming up Avalon's website every week so I'm ready to pounce on a 2022 sailing.