Carnival is refusing to refund entire trip

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Should Carnival Refund the money ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TJ3

Apr 22, 2020
Happy Earth Day,

I am writing in regards to my Father who reads your column in the Palm Beach Post every day.
Last year my sister in law came up with a family trip plan.
We have over 10 adults going not including kids. My sister in law is using Delta to plan this trip so she can earn Sky Miles.
We called her Delta Sky Miles representative and provided a deposit $24.99 (bank debit card) to reserve 2 rooms on the Carnival Princess for July 2020.
The Delta representative stated that we will be charged a ONE time fee to reserve our rooms.
On April 15, 2020 to my surprise, I was quite livid to see that I was debited $600.00 from my personal bank account. Transaction stated World Travel; I have no clue who that is.
On April 15, 2020 , I called my bank to let them know that I didn't authorize this transaction. My bank representative was upset because we (my husband and I ) told her that we might cancel the account because she didn't want to stop the transaction or cancel the transaction. Two hours later, I called Sky Miles to cancel the transaction; Demetra told me that not only were they not going to give the money back only half of it back and that it would be $175.00 to cancel the trip.
I didn't lose my composure but I wanted to strangle Carnival. COVID-19 has been going on since before Christmas and Carnival knew but has not been cleaning their ships. I wouldn't go on a cruise if they paid me to do it. With that being said my bank is now doing a provisional dispute. I am out of $600.00 which is part of my car payment that I can't make because both parties state it takes "45 days" but it took you "45 seconds" to take my money.
I am asking if you can help get my refund $600.00.
I really appreciate if you could help,

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have never heard of a $24.99 deposit. When you booked this, didn’t the Delta Vacations rep send you a confirmation? When is the cruise? Was your sister in law charged the same amount?

TJ3

Apr 22, 2020
I have never heard of a $24.99 deposit. When you booked this, didn’t the Delta Vacations rep send you a confirmation? When is the cruise? Was your sister in law charged the same amount?
Hello,
The $24.99 was a deposit to hold the room on. The confirmation has the Carnival Cruise Lines information. We have 4 people in our household so we needed 2 rooms.
The cruise is for July 4, 2020 on the Carnival Princess. My sister in law has now paid for her entire trip.
Last year she did pay a 1 time fee for a deposit that is non refundable.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
I don't know of a ship named Carnival Princess. There are currently 26 Carnival ships, none named Carnival Princess. And Princess Cruises (part of Carnival Corporation) has around 18 ships, again none with that name.
If your confirmation shows the name Carnival Princess, something's not right .....

Reactions: jsn55 and justlisa

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Final payment is due for a July cruise. Did your sister in law pay for you?

What rate did you book? Carnival has rates that the deposits are non refundable.

This is from Carnival:

For cruises 5 days or less, the final payment date is 75 days prior to sailing and for cruises 6 days or more, the final payment date is 90 days prior to sailing.
The following promotions have a non-refundable deposit and/or fare at time of booking and will be penalized as such. Within our standard cancellation penalty period, regular penalties will apply.

Early Saver: The deposit is non-refundable at any time after the booking is made. All cancellations that occur prior to the final payment due date will receive a non-refundable and non-transferable future cruise credit in US dollars in the amount of the deposit less a $50 USD per person service fee. The future cruise credit must be used on a cruise within 24 months from the date of cancellation and can only be applied to your cruise fare. Any unused portion will be forfeited.
Super Saver: The deposit is non-refundable at any time after the booking is made.
Pack & Go: 100% of Total Fare is non-refundable any time after the booking is made.

It seems you aren’t really sure of what you booked. Do you have a confirmation? That would tell you all this information.

TJ3

Apr 22, 2020

What rate did you book? Carnival has rates that the deposits are non refundable.

This is from Carnival:

For cruises 5 days or less, the final payment date is 75 days prior to sailing and for cruises 6 days or more, the final payment date is 90 days prior to sailing.
The following promotions have a non-refundable deposit and/or fare at time of booking and will be penalized as such. Within our standard cancellation penalty period, regular penalties will apply.

Early Saver: The deposit is non-refundable at any time after the booking is made. All cancellations that occur prior to the final payment due date will receive a non-refundable and non-transferable future cruise credit in US dollars in the amount of the deposit less a $50 USD per person service fee. The future cruise credit must be used on a cruise within 24 months from the date of cancellation and can only be applied to your cruise fare. Any unused portion will be forfeited.
Super Saver: The deposit is non-refundable at any time after the booking is made.
Pack & Go: 100% of Total Fare is non-refundable any time after the booking is made.

It seems you aren’t really sure of what you booked. Do you have a confirmation? That would tell you all this information.
From the confirmation number I have is Delta SkyMiles Cruises - this number is associated with my sister in law its her account.
Everyone on the trip will have to pay for their own trip.
The Delta Sky Miles representative stated on 11/20/2019 that we would only be paying the $24.99 and that is it.
She continued to state that if we wanted to pay in increments that we would have to pay by another date.
However Never was it stated that (Delta Sky Miles) or World Travel would take $600.00 out of my bank account.
So with that being said, I want to know the best way of getting my $600.00 that World Trip took out of my bank account regarding a Carnival Cruise ( Ship name Paradise) Departing on July 4, 2020 and returning July 9, 2020 out of Tampa Florida.

TJ3

Apr 22, 2020
I don't know of a ship named Carnival Princess. There are currently 26 Carnival ships, none named Carnival Princess. And Princess Cruises (part of Carnival Corporation) has around 18 ships, again none with that name.
If your confirmation shows the name Carnival Princess, something's not right .....

Thank you Carol for bringing that information to my attention. I missed quoted the Boats name. It is Paradise.

TJ3

Apr 22, 2020

This is from Carnival:

The $24.99 is a processing fee ( paid at the time of booking) is non-refundable. Ok I don't want that back. I want to 2 charges of $300.00 they took out of my account.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You have to pay the final payment which is due. If the price you paid was one of the restricted fares, you won’t get your full deposit back.

We really need to see your confirmation to figure out whether you are due a refund. Maybe your sister in law can help figure it out, but if you were going on the cruise it’s time to make final payment.

It sounds like you had one of the fares that has a nonrefundable deposit.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Please post your confirmation for the reservation (blacking out any personal information). It will lay out on the details regarding payment schedule and timeline to receive refunds, etc. We cannot assist you without seeing any documentation regarding your cruise. Unfortunately, you cannot get a refund because you say the agent 'said' this, that and the other. Documentation is the only way you will be able to address this issue.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
The $24.99 is a processing fee ( paid at the time of booking) is non-refundable. Ok I don't want that back. I want to 2 charges of $300.00 they took out of my account.

Carnival Paradise sailing 7/4/2020 is a 5-night cruise. Here's my educated guess without having seen your paperwork:

$24.99 is some sort of processing fee charged at the time you made your booking.

$150/person is the standard deposit amount charged for a 5-night cruise. Thus, $600 for four people. This is probably what the $600 is.

Your final payment is due right around now ... 75 days before sailing. So there may be more coming out of your account.

From Carnival website:
Cruise Duration​
Deposit Required​
Deposit Required
Single Occupancy​
Final Payment
Required​
2 - 3 days​
$100 USD per person​
$200 USD​
75 days prior to sailing​
4 - 5 days