Carnival Cruise Line - Refusal to issue full FCC to Booking Purchaser canceled because of Coronavirus.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 17, 2020
I booked a cruise 3/30/2019 with a sail date from the Port of Miami on 5/2/2020 as an individual with a deposit. Balance in full processed through my bank on 2/18/2020. I decided to add a companion to my cabin on 2/25/2020 and paid the required tax $ for the addition on that date. The deposit and entire cruise was paid in full with my personal card. My companion contributed nothing. Due to coronavirus concerns I received a letter from Carnival stating I could cancel or rebook for free so I canceled on 3/8/2020. I was told at that time I would receive $XXX in Future Cruise Credit and that the balance of $XXX paid would be transferred to my new November 2020 booking. Low and behold I only receive half of the stated FCC $ and my companion (who contributed nothing as payment for the booking) is now blessed with the other half of my FCC $ ! How is it justifiable that someone who Carnival has no card information for because they contributed nothing be given any kind of credit due to the trip being canceled? I held and spoke to a few different individuals for 3 hours and 26 minutes in one call on 3/16/2020. It is unreasonable for the monies not to be completely 100% refunded to the original card or issued as FCC to the purchaser. I am a dedicated Carnival client who is deeply disappointed with this outcome.

Mar 17, 2020
They have not offered to repay me at all... that's the problem because they
never will.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They have not offered to repay me at all... that's the problem because they
never will.
Why did you add him to the booking then? You should have canceled him before you canceled the booking. The problem now is he owns that FC

We have company contacts for Carnival on our page. I would suggest you try writing and explaining the situation but don’t do by our guidelines to wait a week in between each email. They are absolutely swamped with the daily changes in what’s going on and this request is kind of on the back burner.

Reactions: Algebralovr
Mar 17, 2020
In retrospect that would have been a solution option. I added someone because I have health issues and it is not in my best interest to cruise solo. They paid nothing so they were owed nothing. Obviously I am not a seasoned traveler except with Carnival. I guess I can just flush that hard earned money right down the toilet. I never get something for nothing and neither should anyone else. It's easy to judge someone when you don't know their struggle and aren't walking in their shoes. I just emailed Carnival though the contacts listed. Thanks.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Don’t say you are flushing that money down the drain- explain to the cruise line why you added the second person and perhaps they will make an exception for you.

We’ve learned never say never because we have seen a well written letter hit the right executive who will occasionally make an exception. But make sure you clearly explain to the cruise line the entire situation.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
In retrospect that would have been a solution option. I added someone because I have health issues and it is not in my best interest to cruise solo. They paid nothing so they were owed nothing. Obviously I am not a seasoned traveler except with Carnival. I guess I can just flush that hard earned money right down the toilet. I never get something for nothing and neither should anyone else. It's easy to judge someone when you don't know their struggle and aren't walking in their shoes. I just emailed Carnival though the contacts listed. Thanks.
I'm not sure why you think your money will never come back to you, or that anyone is judging you. Unless Carnival's rules state differently, all you need do is explain to them why you should receive the entire FCC because you paid for the cruise. This is probably out of their "usual mode" so it needs to be explained carefully and very clearly. I doubt if you will receive a response for several weeks; travel providers are already stretched to the limit. Your email should be concise and polite; if you want to post a draft here we can review it and advise you.

Mar 17, 2020
Apparent this is no different than an aiine ticket which then belongs to the pax not the payer.
I am not an experienced traveler and had no idea this would happen or I would have taken precautions against it. I will wait patiently until things settle at Carnival and ask again for assistance. The new cruise booking is for November 2020.

Reactions: jsn55

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I am not an experienced traveler and had no idea this would happen or I would have taken precautions against it. I will wait patiently until things settle at Carnival and ask again for assistance. The new cruise booking is for November 2020.
Will the companion join you on that trip?

Reactions: jsn55