Carnival Cruise 2019 1st time

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 3, 2019
Hello my name is lashandra and this would have been my first cruise but unfortunately I had to cancel due to illness in my family. The cruise was scheduled in May 2019 but the last payment date was March 12 2019. But we canceled on March 8or9 me and my friends they have been on a cruise before. So when this unexpected situation happened she immediately told me to cancel before I paid the last payment. So we did and the lady stated we would get our money returned in 7-10 days . Only problem is I only received $120 I paid over $300. I know there was a non refundable deposit. But when I called in to discuss this with the cruise line they sent us to Christina a Escalation Agent and she stated that the money was given back to the other 2 ladies that were going on the trip with me but that’s what I’m not understanding how did my money that I paid with my card go on someone else’s? And then when I asked her to explain she got very rude and said well y’all had a lot of small payments on there, I stated to her when we chose to go on the cruise back in June 2018 we had until March 12, 2019 to pay full amount so yes we will be making several payments but for someone to refund my money to another persons card is just beyond unprofessional and I asked for her employee number and title after I asked to speak with her supervisor she told me this is it I’m the highest your gonna get... I’ve worked in customer service now work for federal government this is no way to talk to a customer and I want someone to explain this situation thank you.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Hello my name is lashandra and this would have been my first cruise but unfortunately I had to cancel due to illness in my family. The cruise was scheduled in May 2019 but the last payment date was March 12 2019. But we canceled on March 8or9 me and my friends they have been on a cruise before. So when this unexpected situation happened she immediately told me to cancel before I paid the last payment. So we did and the lady stated we would get our money returned in 7-10 days . Only problem is I only received $120 I paid over $300. I know there was a non refundable deposit. But when I called in to discuss this with the cruise line they sent us to Christina a Escalation Agent and she stated that the money was given back to the other 2 ladies that were going on the trip with me but that’s what I’m not understanding how did my money that I paid with my card go on someone else’s? And then when I asked her to explain she got very rude and said well y’all had a lot of small payments on there, I stated to her when we chose to go on the cruise back in June 2018 we had until March 12, 2019 to pay full amount so yes we will be making several payments but for someone to refund my money to another persons card is just beyond unprofessional and I asked for her employee number and title after I asked to speak with her supervisor she told me this is it I’m the highest your gonna get... I’ve worked in customer service now work for federal government this is no way to talk to a customer and I want someone to explain this situation thank you.

Lashandra ...

Did you all book directly with Carnival? Or use a travel agent?

How many quests were in your cabin? A thought is that usually persons 1 & 2 pay a certain fare, and #3 and 4 pay a reduced fare. If this is the case, it's possible that you all divided the total cabin fare by 3 or 4, but Carnival doesn't do it that way: they look at it as I explained above with #1 and #2 paying a different fare from #3.

Please let us know and we can offer appropriate advice. Thanks.......

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
You said"how did my money that I paid with my card go on someone else’s?". I'm guessing what happened here is classic: YOU paid the deposit, but when they go to do the refund they split that amount among all three passengers. That may be correct procedure on their part.

I recommend that you ask your friends for their portion . . .

Mar 15, 2018
So let me get this straight - Carnival gave part of your refund to your friends? How much did you think the non-refundable deposit was going to be?

Are your friends still going on the cruise? This is a crucial piece of information. If they are, please say so, and then I think I'll be able to explain to you what happened.

Either way, if your friends got a portion of your refund, can't you ask them to give it back to you?

Reactions: Neil Maley

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
"I know there was a non refundable deposit."
You said you know you have a non-refundable deposit, but you didn't say how much it was. As you get closer to the departure, the amount of any refund you're going to get goes down. Also, if the cabin/suite was going to be split 3 or 4 ways, and you bailed, now it's going to be split 2 or 3 ways so maybe that factored in somehow.

Apr 3, 2019
Thank you guys for the Feedback someone from Carnival explained the entire situation! Like I stated I have never been on one so was not aware of how they did the refunds but we all live in different areas.

Mar 15, 2018
I too am curious, but if she doesn't come back, dollars to donuts her friends are continuing on the cruise and she only got the refundable deposit for the "third person" fare.

Feb 3, 2017
If paid on one person's credit card, did the cruise line get credit card info for the other passengers - is that how they refunded them?

This is very confusing. I too would be curious about the explanation you were given by Carnival

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If paid on one person's credit card, did the cruise line get credit card info for the other passengers - is that how they refunded them?

This is very confusing. I too would be curious about the explanation you were given by Carnival
It always goes back to the credit card the deposit was made on. And she indicated there were several payments made so maybe even Carnival can’t figure out who made what payments.

But if the deposit is nonrefundable she doesn’t get it back anyway

Feb 3, 2017
It always goes back to the credit card the deposit was made on. And she indicated there were several payments made so maybe even Carnival can’t figure out who made what payments.

But if the deposit is nonrefundable she doesn’t get it back anyway
That's why this line confused me "...she stated that the money was given back to the other 2 ladies that were going on the trip with me but that’s what I’m not understanding how did my money that I paid with my card go on someone else’s?" This seems to say refunds were made to her traveling companions somehow even though she paid with her credit card and why did any monies get paid if non-refundable?

Reactions: jsn55
Mar 15, 2018
Not sure we're gonna get more information. If you look at her last post (#7), she says she got the information she needed from Carnival. So if this case is closed, I doubt she'll return.