Car Rental Damage Question

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 12, 2016
Hello. I could use your help. I rented a car over a month ago. On Jan 6, another driver pulled out of his parking spot and hit the side of my car, as I was passing by. He was at fault, and admitted it, although he could not produce any proof of insurance at the time.

I returned the car on Jan 7 and notified the car rental company of the accident. I submitted the damage report that they emailed me a few days later. Upon submitting the report, they told me that they would contact me if they deemed it necessary. It has now been over a month, and I haven't heard back from them.

I rented my car using Visa Platinum Rewards, which will hopefully cover the damage expenses. But the problem is that their 45 day reporting deadline is almost up. I notified Visa of the accident, but since I do not have a claim # or bill from the rental car company, I could only provide Visa with limited information.

Since I never heard back from my rental car company about the incident I am not sure what I should do. I believe the damage done was over $1k.

Does anybody have any advice regarding what to do? Does the rental car company have a deadline with which they must notify me of the amount I owe them for the claim? Should I reach out to them again? Should I notify my insurance company as well?

Any advice you have would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You have 45 days from the day you receive your statement with the charge on it to dispute it. Since there has been no charge for the accident, there is nothing to dispute. I wouldn't do anything at this point. If a charge comes through on your card, then you dispute.

Did you purchase insurance for the rental or decline it when you rented the car? Does your own car insurance include coverage for rental cars with collision? The rental company doesn't care that it wasn't your fault, you need to have insurance to cover the damage. So be prepared. Find out if your car insurance covers rental cars ( you would need to have collision o your own car for it to be on a rental car). If you don't, call your credit card company and find out if they offer any collision coverage. Then you'll be prepared if you hear from the car rental company.

One way or the other, you needed to have some kind of insurance on the car you rented.

R

Realitoes

jsslive,

What you do depends on the insurance coverage you had for the rental car.

If you did not decline the CDW/LDW, then you should have nothing to worry about. The rental agency should cover all the charges.

If you declined the CDW/LDW, then you will need to file a claim with your insurance, as Visa Platinum will normally only cover your insurance deductible (double check your specific coverage)

If you don't have personal insurance, then you need report the accident with Visa Platinum within 45 days. A claim form must be filed within 90 days, and all the documentation provided with 365 days. Below is a snippet of the Platinum Visa benefits (please check to make sure it matches yours benefits).

It sounds like you have reported it to Visa Platinum (might want to follow up to be sure if your still within the 45 days). Assuming you didn't take the rental agency CDW, I would recommend filling out the claim form for the Visa Platinum coverage and returning it immediately Also, don't wait for the rental company to get back to you. As noted by the Visa Platinum benefits, contact the rental agency for the required documents.

Best of Luck!

From Capital One Platinum Visa Benefit Guide:

What do I need from the auto rental company in order to file a claim?
At the time of the theft or damage, or when you return the rental vehicle,
immediately ask the auto rental company for:
• A copy of the accident report form and claim document, which should
indicate the costs you are responsible for and any amounts that have
been paid toward the claim
• A copy of the initial and final auto rental agreement(s)
• A copy of the repair estimate and itemized repair bill
• Two (2) photographs of the damaged vehicle, if available
• A police report, if obtainable

How do I file a claim?
Submit the documents gathered from the auto rental company (listed above)
along with the following additional documents to the Benefit Administrator:
• The completed and signed Auto Rental CDW claim form. Please
Note: Your completed claim form must be postmarked within ninety
(90) days of the date of theft or damage, even if all other required
documentation is not yet available, or your claim may be denied.
• A copy of your receipt or monthly billing statement as proof that the entire
vehicle rental was charged and paid for with your eligible Visa card
• A statement from your insurance carrier (and/or your employer or
employer’s insurance carrier, if applicable) or other reimbursement
showing the costs for which you are responsible and any amounts
that have been paid toward the claim. Or, if you have no applicable
insurance or reimbursement, a notarized statement of no insurance or
reimbursement is required.
• A copy of your primary insurance policy’s Declarations Page to confirm
your deductible. “Declarations Page” means the document(s) in your
insurance policy that lists names, coverages, limits, effective dates
and deductibles.