Car Accident when Rental to Buy from AVIS

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 24, 2019
I tried to buy a used car from AVIS. In AVIS, you can test drive the car for 3 days. After 3 day test, I decided to buy the car and AVIS began to process. I have my own insurance for test drive and I purchased insurance from Progressive including Liability , Comprehensive and Collision。A few days later, I got an accident of rear-end and it is my fault. Now, AVIS said the progressive should cover the accident, but the Progressive does not agree since the AVIS is the owner when the accident happened. I do not know what I can do with it.

Thanks

Nov 24, 2019
It depends on what the effective date was. Was the car in your name when this accident occurred? What was the effective start date of your Progressive policy?
The effective date of my Progressive policy is before the accident, but the car had not been transferred to my name yet when the accident happened.

Thanks

Siqing

Dec 19, 2014
Please tell me that you had an ACTIVE Progressive insurance policy while you had the accident.

If Avis is the owner of the car when the accident occurred and you have an active Progressive policy, Avis should cover the collision and liability up to it's limits, and any residual amounts will then be filed to your insurance.

There are some other caveats, but have you discussed this with your insurance agent, who should be your advocate and to provide answers?

Nov 24, 2019
Yes, I do have the active progressive insurance policy while the accident happened. I purchased and paid the Progressive policy on Nov. 10th and the accident happened on Nov. 12th.

They progressive agent said that the AVIS should pay since AVIS is the owner, but AVIS said Progressive should pay since the car is insured in Progressive.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you called Progressives main phone number?
You says you had Avis insurance for the three day try out period. If you did and those original three days were up- I can understand Avis not covering this.

Does the Progressive policy cover rental cars? If it does, try invoking that with Progressive.

This seems to be a case that the writers should look into besides sending you here. I hope they are- I don’t recall a case like this here before.

Reactions: VoR61

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
Since you are caught in a game of musical finger pointing of liability, I think this matter is beyond self-advocacy and you should consult an attorney. (Insurance laws widely vary by state). Contact your local bar association and ask for their lawyer Referral service (LRS). For a nominal fee of about $35-40, the LRS will refer you to a local attorney who will provide you with a 30 minute consultation either in person or by telephone. This would provide you with a definitive answer of who is responsible and advice on how to proceed.

Nov 24, 2019
Have you called Progressives main phone number?
You says you had Avis insurance for the three day try out period. If you did and those original three days were up- I can understand Avis not covering this.

Does the Progressive policy cover rental cars? If it does, try invoking that with Progressive.

This seems to be a case that the writers should look into besides sending you here. I hope they are- I don’t recall a case like this here before.
Yes, the Progressive policy cover rental cars.

Thanks

Nov 24, 2019
Since you are caught in a game of musical finger pointing of liability, I think this matter is beyond self-advocacy and you should consult an attorney. (Insurance laws widely vary by state). Contact your local bar association and ask for their lawyer Referral service (LRS). For a nominal fee of about $35-40, the LRS will refer you to a local attorney who will provide you with a 30 minute consultation either in person or by telephone. This would provide you with a definitive answer of who is responsible and advice on how to proceed.
Thanks,

Jun 12, 2019
Since Progressive is denying collision coverage, they will need to provide a letter with the policy language used for that denial.

Collision would usually cover your insured vehicle, non-owned and hired auto . Insured vehicles are vehicles you declare to your insurance company by exact description, this includes vehicles that you become the owner within 30 days of purchase. Non- owned would be somebody else car that you borrow and hired auto covers rental cars.

Nov 24, 2019
Since Progressive is denying collision coverage, they will need to provide a letter with the policy language used for that denial.

Collision would usually cover your insured vehicle, non-owned and hired auto . Insured vehicles are vehicles you declare to your insurance company by exact description, this includes vehicles that you become the owner within 30 days of purchase. Non- owned would be somebody else car that you borrow and hired auto covers rental cars.
Thanks, this is useful information. The involved vehicles is definitely insured with exact VIN number and the policy include almost everything. I am very careful about the insurance.

Nov 24, 2019

Thanks, could you tell where the information come from?

Thanks

Jun 12, 2019
Call your claims person for a copy of your policy. Most likley, this would fall under non- owned vehicle and coverage would be on a secondary basis. The rental car company would most likely be self insured for collision, so your claims person will need too do some coverage investigation. I have worked for Progressive for 6 years but each claim is different, so your claims rep is the best person to speak with regarding your claim. Make sure they point to the policy language for any coverage decisions and the policy language is clear.