I booked tickets from St. John to Albuquerque, NM leaving on January 3rd back in June. I received a call from American approximately three weeks ago saying that changes to my flight had resulted in a "miss-connect" and that I would need to call them to reschedule. When I called American to reschedule they told me they wouldn't be able to get me on a flight until January 6th, three days later. I work at the airport so I decided to go to the ticket counter and speak to a ticket agent. She told me they had cancelled my flight and that was why I couldn't get home on that day. She has been working on my reservations ever since and has managed to get me on a flight on January 4th but which requires us to stay overnight in Puerto Rico and then bounce around to 3 different connections before getting home. I wrote two e-mails to American explaining what had happened and if I could get a voucher since I now have to stay overnight in Puerto Rico and take an extra day of vacation because of the travel changes. I received canned responses from both e-mails. When I spoke to the ticket agent about what was going on she told me that American had to give me a voucher for what has happened and that I needed to call their customer service number and explain what happened. I called their customer service number today and asked to speak to a reservation supervisor. I explained to her what happened and she became somewhat rude with me and told me that she wanted the ticket agent's name because what she told me was not true (I declined to provide it). She told me that American can change our travel plans at will, even if it means we get home a day later or more. She also told me because the Cape Air flight was the one that was cancelled that it wasn't American's problem (I booked the whole flight home on the American website and did not choose to be on Cape Air - they provided that) The only thing she offered me was a refund for my ticket which isn't an option as my flight to the USVI is in 15 days and since it is high season there are no flights available for our trip home. What can I do to at least receive some type of compensation for the extra hotel room and extra day of traveling? I find it hard to believe there aren't consumer protection laws out there that prevent airlines from being able to essentially strand a passenger in a foreign City. Any help would be greatly appreciated.