Can Overseas Adventure Travel renege on paying a cash refund for trips they cancelled?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 5, 2019
What is OP?
It means something like Original Poster (the person with the question) - I had same problem when I first signed up for Elliott forums. So many abbreviations that I had no idea what they meant! Took me a while to figure out that OTA was an Online Travel Agent, etc. Some folks here don't realize we're not all experienced travelers. But I sure have learned a lot here!

Apr 10, 2017
It means something like Original Poster (the person with the question) - I had same problem when I first signed up for Elliott forums. So many abbreviations that I had no idea what they meant! Took me a while to figure out that OTA was an Online Travel Agent, etc. Some folks here don't realize we're not all experienced travelers. But I sure have learned a lot here!
Perhaps the moderator could include a glossary in the help pages?

May 29, 2020
I am in similar situation as described above. Cancelled March 9. Promised refund of balance after cancellation penalty would be sent within 7 - 10 days. After multiple calls, advised they changed their policy 6 weeks later and only credit for trip in 2021. Appreciate suggestion to file with Mass. AG. Did so today. Thanks all.
FYI, I filed a consumer complaint with the Mass AG office on 5/29. Got an email from them 6/08 stating they would "contact Overseas Adventure Travel on your behalf to attempt to resolve the issue you describe in your complaint". On 6/10 I got a partial refund to my checking account and on 6/12 the remainder on my VISA card - resulting in a FULL REFUND of thousands of $$. Excellent advice from elliott.org - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. :D

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
FYI, I filed a consumer complaint with the Mass AG office on 5/29. Got an email from them 6/08 stating they would "contact Overseas Adventure Travel on your behalf to attempt to resolve the issue you describe in your complaint". On 6/10 I got a partial refund to my checking account and on 6/12 the remainder on my VISA card - resulting in a FULL REFUND of thousands of $$. Excellent advice from elliott.org - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. :D
Absolutely delighted for you. These companies are fighting for their fiscal lives and running short of cash, so every refund is a big win for the traveller.

Reactions: lauriejhampton
Apr 10, 2020
My sister and I have filed disputes with our credit card companies. They have tentatively put the $13,500 that we spent (including the $699.00 travel insurance with Allianz, which OAT canceled without my permission) back into our accounts while they investigate the dispute. Tomorrow I will file a complaint with the Massachusetts AG, and my Washington State Insurance Commissioner.

Two months ago, on April 15th, I escalated my complaint with OAT and Allianz, as recommended by Christopher Elliott in my first communication with him. Attached is the letter that I wrote to Jeff Rolander, the Director of Claims and Assistance at Allianz and Amy Van Ness, the Director of Traveler Relations at Grand Circle Tours describing what has happened. They never responded...

Note- Edited by moderator to remove attachment that had the personal e-mail address of OP. Please redact that if you want to add your letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jsn55
Jun 19, 2020
OAT struck again. Several years ago my family booked a tour from the U.S. to Bangkok/Kathmandu then guided tour. OAT did not book my daughter from Bangkok to Kathmandu - this was Christmas Eve. They said she could stay alone in Bangkok and join us in Kathmandu two days later. The problem was that the tour had already left Kathmandu for Pokhara by then. I personally booked a flight from Bangkok to Kathmandu via Bangledesh, deciding to solve the expense later. When we got to Bangkok OAT had apparently bumped someone from the 18 passenger flight to make room for daughter. What an anxious start to a trip that was a good one.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
OAT struck again. Several years ago my family booked a tour from the U.S. to Bangkok/Kathmandu then guided tour. OAT did not book my daughter from Bangkok to Kathmandu - this was Christmas Eve. They said she could stay alone in Bangkok and join us in Kathmandu two days later. The problem was that the tour had already left Kathmandu for Pokhara by then. I personally booked a flight from Bangkok to Kathmandu via Bangledesh, deciding to solve the expense later. When we got to Bangkok OAT had apparently bumped someone from the 18 passenger flight to make room for daughter. What an anxious start to a trip that was a good one.
That wouldn’t be my idea of a good trip. A good trip would have had your daughter on your flight without you having to do anything. And OAT’s solution to bump someone else must have had another unhappy OAT passenger.

Reactions: ADM
Apr 10, 2020
I did file with the Mass Attorney's office but the fill in block malfunctioned and it would not let me fill the block completely. I have not gotten a copy and I couldn't print a copy before I sent it. I filed a dispute with AAA Mastercard which they accepted but told me they didn't know if OAT/ Grand Circle would accept it. They said it could take up to 50 days. I am writing up the chain and have now resorted to send certified letters not emails.Maureen Pudlio is todays mission. Did BBB of Boston help any? Sorry but I don't have a copy of the refund letter posted about the travel insurance, I wanted to say thanks for that. I call on the number at the bottom and talked to Julette who sent me a copy of our letters. Allianz seemed to be very surprised that we had not received of reimbursement of the policies. I have to do the Illinois insurance site but I've had doctors appointments and other stuff this week. Any sucess stories or additional advice is appreciated.
My sister and I had the same issue with the complaint block! Had to write a very brief, abbreviated version of our complaints. Hopefully, because so many others have also complained, they will get the gist of it.