Can I get to Bolivia through Expedia

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 19, 2020
I want to book a flight from Denver, CO to anywhere in Bolivia using some of my 160,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards. I'm told that Chase uses Expedia to book flights. It's as if Bolivia doesn't exist on the Chase or Expedia travel site. I can book flights from Denver to Bolivia through other sites such as Kayak, but I can't use my rewards points that way. I called Chase & Expedia to ask why no flights were available and got a variety of answers from it's a problem with my computer, to civil unrest, to they don't contract with airlines from here to there. Does anyone have insight into how this works? Is Bolivia really an "excluded" destination, and if so, why? Is there any hope of me getting all the way to Bolivia using my points?

Apr 3, 2016
If they do not offer flights to Bolivia on Expedia, there is not much to be done to get them to fly there. They cannot just book a flight to an airport that they do not support. One alternative would be to use the points to book to an adjacent country (Peru, Paraguay , Chile, etc) and then book a local flight from that country to Bolivia.

Reactions: Kitkat and VoR61

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Razilo is probably right. On Expedia I am seeing both Delta and American flights from Denver to Bogota, Colombia. You would then have to book a separate r/t ticket from Bogota to/from La Paz. Be aware that if you do this, your travel will be on two separate itineraries that will not "talk" to each other. If a leg gets cancelled/delayed on one of your flights, it will be on you to communicate with the other airline in case you end up missing the connection.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Did you try all of the three international airports in Bolivia?

La Paz, Santa Cruz and Cochabamba are the country's three main international entry points.

You may wish to research the available flights on google flights and then talk to Chase. STAR Alliance (UA and Copa) fly to Bolivia. from DEN.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patina and VoR61

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
I tried to book a flight from Denver to Bolivia on Expedia, and the OP is right - no go. I couldn't get a trip from Colombia to Bolivia, either - had to go to Kayak to do it. It's an Expedia blockage for some reason.

Reactions: VoR61

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Expedia may not have the contracts with the airlines for that route. You cannot book through Kayak- it sends you to those third party websites that are often complained about here.
And Justfly is one of them - the same JustFly the BBB warns about booking through.

Please go further then just looking through Kayak- try and actually book and see where it takes you. Kayak is not a booking engine.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Expedia may not have the contracts with the airlines for that route. You cannot book through Kayak- it sends you to those third party websites that are often complained about here.
And Justfly is one of them - the same JustFly the BBB warns about booking through.

Please go further then just looking through Kayak- try and actually book and see where it takes you. Kayak is not a booking engine.
You can book a one-stop from DEN to VVI on the United web site with a stop in PTY. The OP should discuss this with Chase.

Reactions: AMA
Apr 1, 2018
You do not need to book through Chase. Review all the Chase Ultimate Rewards airline partners and see if any of them fly to Bolivia. If they do, and there are award seats available, you can create an awards account on that airline and transfer the Chase points into that account. Note that some awards accounts show the transferred points immediately, others take a few days.

Also, if you happen to have any of the United branded Chase credit cards(such as the Explorer Card) and you choose United, more award seats will appear if you log-in using those cards than appear on the Chase Ultimate Rewards/Expedia site.

Good luck!

Apr 1, 2018
@Yul Ullu gave you some great advice. I currently see plenty of availability using United miles from Denver to Bolivia (with their partner Copa). 30,000 miles each way plus about $6. Just transfer the Chase points to your United account and then book the trip as award travel.

Thanks! The only thing I don't know are the policies of each airline's points program. I've heard of one airline that doesn't allow transfers until after 90 days have passed from the awards account creation date, but I don't think most airlines have this rule. My standard practice is to create awards accounts on every airline I use just in case one day I need those accounts. So I have many accounts with zero points.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Ultimate Rewards is not a travel agency, they choose who they do business with. They have contracted the booking of awards to Expedia. The jury's still out on whether that was a positive choice. So far, I've had no issues with booking air or hotels. I hope the idea of moving your URs and directly booking with the airline will work for you.

Reactions: VoR61