Can I get a refund for a non refundable ticket

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 14, 2020
I have a ticket to fly from San Francisco to Philadelphia next tuesday and cannot use it as we are Sheltered in Place. It is a non refundable ticket, but I would like to get my money back rather than a credit. I am 81 years old and I don't know if I am ever going to want to travel again.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If the airline doesn’t cancel the flight, only receive a credit for the price of your ticket (if they are waving fees for your flight.)Only if the airline cancels would you receive a refund.

I’d wait until the day before your flight and see if they cancel.

Jan 7, 2015
I had flights scheduled to fly to CA on American from April 7-13. Based on advice from this site, I waited to see if it would be cancelled. First I got a call that it was rescheduled. Then I got a cancellation on my app (no call or email) two days before. Then on the app, I was told it was rescheduled to leave two hours earlier. I called American and told them I wasn't accepting the rescheduled flight and that I wanted a refund. The rep said that because it was within two hours, I could only get a credit. I told her that I wanted a credit good for two years, as United and Delta had announced. She put me on hold, then told me they'd refund my money in two-three weeks.
I agree with Neil; wait until the day before and if not cancelled, given your age, ask if they will cancel for you. If that rep says no, ask to speak to a supervisor. Speak politely and kindly. If that supervisor says no, hang up and call again. You may find a rep with compassion. That has worked for me.

Reactions: Rocpool and jsn55