Budget Not Dropping False Damage Claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 14, 2019
Sounds good, I will definitely base it off of VoR61's advice! Emailing the first executive on the list tomorrow, thanks for all your help!

Reactions: Patina
Oct 14, 2019
Still nothing from Budget.. I reached out to the first person on the list a week ago but since I have yet to hear back, I'm going to reach out to the next person. Is there an estimated time that it usually takes claims to get dropped? Can't tell if I'm being impatient or not..

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You may have to go all the way up the Executuve chain. When you write your next letter, state the date and who you originally emailed that hasn’t replied. Do this every time you have to move up the chain.

Reactions: VoR61
Oct 14, 2019
I just got a response.. they are asking for paperwork (I am assuming he is referring to the "check out paperwork" I received and mentioned in my email) however I don't think I have this paperwork anymore other than from the email they sent me with the initial claim. What should I do?

"We have reviewed your e-mail below and the notes from your case. We have contacted the Claims Manager to investigate this matter further. Can you provide us with the paperwork you mentioned in your e-mail ? This information will assist in our review. When we have received a response from their office we will advise you accordingly. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We appreciate your patience during our investigation.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to be of assistance to you.

Sincerely,

James Tucker | Executive Response Coordinator"

Oct 14, 2019
Just received an update:

"Thank you for your patience during our investigation. We have received a reply from our Claims Manager. Based upon the information you provided and the findings of our internal investigation, the claim has been stopped. Their office will be sending a closing letter via standard mail confirming this information. We apologize for the inconvenience this matter has caused. Please be assured that your experience was not typical. A copy of our report has been sent to the appropriate manager for corrective actions. "

YAY!!!! A huge thank you to everyone that helped me on here, couldn't have done it without you! Following your tips to a T definitely made them throw this claim out and saved me $1,000!! Special shout out to VoR61! THANK YOU!!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Michelle, we are ALL very happy for you. I hope that future OPs will read your letter and understand how very important it is to do this exactly as we describe. The person reading these letters is often bored to death and perhaps not too clever, so the more concise and polite the better. A bullet-point list is ALWAYS the best way to deal with these nincompoops. Think of these sharks as casting a wide net of fraudulent claims, reeling in one or two out of every batch, and padding their bottom line with little effort. Well done!

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Michelle, we are ALL very happy for you. I hope that future OPs will read your letter and understand how very important it is to do this exactly as we describe. The person reading these letters is often bored to death and perhaps not too clever, so the more concise and polite the better. A bullet-point list is ALWAYS the best way to deal with these nincompoops. Think of these sharks as casting a wide net of fraudulent claims, reeling in one or two out of every batch, and padding their bottom line with little effort. Well done!
Or perhaps someone just made a error, mistaking a factory defect for damage. When Budget was asked about it, they investigated, dropped the charge, and apologized.

Not everyone in the world is a not too clever, nincompoop, fraudulent shark. It's a lot easier to be polite if you give people the benefit of the doubt.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Or perhaps someone just made a error, mistaking a factory defect for damage. When Budget was asked about it, they investigated, dropped the charge, and apologized.

Not everyone in the world is a not too clever, nincompoop, fraudulent shark. It's a lot easier to be polite if you give people the benefit of the doubt.
Unfortunately it's our experience that the car rental companies claim damage on a regular basis in error. That's why we have a post that advocates for how to handle the situation. That's also why we have a post on how to protect yourself when renting a car so that this doesn't happen and you have photo and/or video evidence of the condition of the vehicle both prior to renting and after renting.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Unfortunately it's our experience that the car rental companies claim damage on a regular basis in error. That's why we have a post that advocates for how to handle the situation. That's also why we have a post on how to protect yourself when renting a car so that this doesn't happen and you have photo and/or video evidence of the condition of the vehicle both prior to renting and after renting.
I think there is a ton of value in the process/contacts/advice that this site offers--not questioning that.

But people on this site need to keep some perspective. The US car rental market is about $17B, which is more than 170 million rental days per year. A generous estimate of the complaints this site receives for domestic rentals is 500/year, or one complaint for every 340,000 rental days.

Even if all the people who post to Elliott are in the right, that's not evidence that rental companies are falsely claiming damage on a regular basis. And it certainly doesn't justify saying that everyone who works in the industry is stupid or crooked.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think there is a ton of value in the process/contacts/advice that this site offers--not questioning that.

But people on this site need to keep some perspective. The US car rental market is about $17B, which is more than 170 million rental days per year. A generous estimate of the complaints this site receives for domestic rentals is 500/year, or one complaint for every 340,000 rental days.

Even if all the people who post to Elliott are in the right, that's not evidence that rental companies are falsely claiming damage on a regular basis. And it certainly doesn't justify saying that everyone who works in the industry is stupid or crooked.
Carrie didn't saying anything about anyone being stupid or crooked. She simply stated what we experience here - the claims are coming more frequently and this is only from consumers who have found us. How many others know nothing about this and try and fight it themselves - or pay it even if they did not cause the damage? What we see here can be just a small sampling of what is really going on.

I do agree with you that these are most likely a small percentage of rentals but it is happening more frequently. I don't think we go a week without at least one or two reported.

Reactions: Patina and weihlac

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I think it would be good to use the private conversation in this forum when you are being critical of someone else's opinion. There's no point in sharing that with everyone. We do pretty well here helping people advocate for themselves and there's no point in telling each other that we're wrong in a thread ... just state your opinion privately.