British Airways Lost Luggage

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 7, 2017
Hi everyone! Last Friday (July 28), I flew from Casablanca to London via Madrid. I checked in with Royal Air Maroc, and they told me I would have to pick up my luggage in Madrid. My second flight was a co-promote between British Airways & Iberia. When I got to the BA/Iberia desk at Adolfo Suárez Madrid–Barajas Airport, I was told that I shouldn't pick up my bag since my luggage tag said that my bag was going straight to London Heathrow Airport - LHR, and that they would manage it.

When I got to Heathrow airport, my bag wasn't there. It's been 10 days that I have been without my things. When I call the British Airways baggage center, I am connected to a customer service in New Delhi that has no contact with the airport, and I keep being told the same thing, we are sorry and please be patient. It seems that all they can do is "scale" things up with the baggage team, but otherwise their hands are tied.

Iberia and Royal Air Maroc will not help either, because I already filed a claim with British Airways. I have not received any compensation because I have to wait 21 days to "claim" anything. I just got a white t-shirt with small toiletries from British Airways.

It's inconceivable that it's been 10 days and no one even has an inkling of where my bag could be.

I posted about this on a Conde Nast Women who Travel group and I was told to post here on Elliott in case you are able to help.

Any insight or help I can get to get my luggage back would be amazing!

I have medication, and items that hold emotional value for me.

I appreciate everyone's help with this!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You needed to file the claim with the original airline.

Were your tickets all on one PNR?

The agent was wrong, even if the luggage was ticketed through if you have to go through customs you often have to pick up and recheck.

I bet your bag is in the Madrid airport.

Aug 7, 2017
Thanks Neil! Please see my answers in red below.

You needed to file the claim with the original airline.

Were your tickets all on one PNR? - The tickets were booked via Expedia. I have one itinerary number and one confirmation number for the trip. Would the PNR number be on the e-ticket?

The agent was wrong, even if the luggage was ticketed through if you have to go through customs you often have to pick up and recheck. - Since the agent was wrong, and she was part of the BA/Iberia information desk, isn't it the responsibility of the BA/Iberia bags to get my bags back to me?

I bet your bag is in the Madrid airport.
- I think my bag is in Madrid as well. I was thinking of calling the Lost Luggage department.

Sep 19, 2015
Neil I am not sure if the OP had to clear customs and recheck the bag -- that would happen only if there was a stay in Madrid. The U.K. Is not part of the Schengen Agreement so this is not a case of the first arrival in Schengen. I have to pass customs and immigration on the Eurostar between Paris and London.

Did the OP have to go through immigration or just stay in the terminals. If there is an inter line agreement between the two airlines and the baggage tag had MAD-LHR on it the bag should have gone connected and the OP clear customs in the UK

Reactions: Neil Maley

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm glad to read that Conde Nast peeps referred you here, lilo. What is the final destination printed on your bag tags? Did you have ID in the outside front pocket of your suitcase, as well as inside it? If you've filed a claim with BA, why aren't you able to track it online? Calling gets you few results but lots of frustration. From the reports we get, I think that they draw straws to see who gets to answer the phone in baggage claim and a weekly contest to see who does the best job of bamboozling the caller.

I agree, you have to file with the airline that put the tags on your bag originally. So start over with a claim against that airline. They'll probably find your bags quickly. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil I am not sure if the OP had to clear customs and recheck the bag -- that would happen only if there was a stay in Madrid. The U.K. Is not part of the Schengen Agreement so this is not a case of the first arrival in Schengen. I have to pass customs and immigration on the Eurostar between Paris and London.

Did the OP have to go through immigration or just stay in the terminals. If there is an inter line agreement between the two airlines and the baggage tag had MAD-LHR on it the bag should have gone connected and the OP clear customs in the UK
Christina I think you are correct!

The claim still needed to be filed with the first airline though.

Aug 7, 2017
Thank you both!

When I got to London Heathrow, the only baggage service was the British Airways one so I filed with BA.

When I tried to file another claim with Royal Air Maroc when I got back, they said I couldn't since I already had a claim open with BA.

I'm not sure what to do in this situation?

Christina I think you are correct!

The claim still needed to be filed with the first airline though.

Aug 7, 2017
Thank you!

The final destination was LHR. The suitcase belonged to a friend who is living with me so her name is on it. I did tell the staff that her name was on the bag, and I made a note of it in my claim as well.

I am able to track my claim online with BA but it says "Still searching". There haven't been any updates for 11 days which is why I am trying out other avenues in the offhand chance that I am able to get some traction into finding my bag.

That is terrible to hear that the luggage team bamboozle callers who are already frustrated at losing their belongings.

I will attempt to file a claim with Royal Air Maroc.

Thanks again for your help, and I will keep you updated.

I'm glad to read that Conde Nast peeps referred you here, lilo. What is the final destination printed on your bag tags? Did you have ID in the outside front pocket of your suitcase, as well as inside it? If you've filed a claim with BA, why aren't you able to track it online? Calling gets you few results but lots of frustration. From the reports we get, I think that they draw straws to see who gets to answer the phone in baggage claim and a weekly contest to see who does the best job of bamboozling the caller.

I agree, you have to file with the airline that put the tags on your bag originally. So start over with a claim against that airline. They'll probably find your bags quickly. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Are you saying the luggage tag did not have your name on it at all but your friends? If that is so I can certainly understand why they can't find it- they are looking for luggsge with your name on it. If it's been found they would not have any record of a ticket with your friends name and I can certainly understand why it is lost.

Please tell me is you had your own
luggage tag on it.

But the bigger issue is you filed with the wrong airline, you needed to file with Royal. Did you tell them at BA that you were not on BA flight?

Sep 19, 2015
Do the IATA agreements require that lost and delayed baggage claims be filed with the last carrier? I would be on BA -- certainly alert the first airline but I think only one claim allowed so not to have double payment.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It makes sense to me to file with the originating carrier, since that airline tagged your bag and theoretically has it scanned into their system, along with your flight information. They are the best ones to see the chain of custody along the line. I don't understand how Air Moroc knew you had already filed with BA. Can't you go back and file with them? I'm afraid having erroneous ID on the bag is a major problem. If you can't file a claim with Air Moroc, I fear your chances of seeing that bag again are getting slimmer every day.

Sep 19, 2015
It makes sense to me to file with the originating carrier, since that airline tagged your bag and theoretically has it scanned into their system, along with your flight information. They are the best ones to see the chain of custody along the line. I don't understand how Air Moroc knew you had already filed with BA. Can't you go back and file with them? I'm afraid having erroneous ID on the bag is a major problem. If you can't file a claim with Air Moroc, I fear your chances of seeing that bag again are getting slimmer every day.
I think the theory of the last carrier is in place because of regional airlines and transfers.

For Example: Jet Blue has a partnership with Emirates. If a passenger flies from Buffalo to New York City JFK on jet blue and connects to Dubai on Emirates and arrives in Dubai with no luggage there is no way for the passenger to file a claim for missing delayed or damaged claim report in Dubai as Jet Blue does not fly there. A complaint is filed with Emirates. Emirates pays any claim and deals with Jet Blue to figure out the fault.

Reactions: krisseye and jsn55