Booking.com weekly rental says “they just don’t want you here”

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 6, 2019
At the start of the safer-at-home policy in Los Angeles my roommates and I decided we would stay elsewhere until the policy was lifted. At the time no one knew when this was going to be....so I decided to rent weekly to save money and not paying for days I may not need. I have a service dog (with appropriate paperwork)....occasionally my friend goes at of town for 2 or 3 days and I also dog sit for him...I had been talking with Lady X (THE OWNER)sent her my payment, the concierge verified my ID and DL and I was given the key fob...Fast and easy check in.....one week in I requested to extend my stay another week via text to The 305 # aka “THE BUILDING”.....the second week Lady X and THE BUILDING say they got complaints of my dog barking....I apologized and THE BUILDING asked for the service animal paperwork....I sent it over...no problem...extended 2 more weeks....paying with the original card on file.....At 1030 pm the night before I normally pay they informed me that they had switched payment systems...I spent the better part of the next day trying to get verified on the different platforms they offered...no luck....I left in the afternoon to fulfill an obligation... but my phone died...I returned around 830 at night.... charged my phone....and got text from THE BUILDING and Lady X asking about the payment. I explained I could pay in cash but it would have to be later when the funds cleared.....Around 1040 pm, while I was on the balcony a man who I have never seen before walks into the apt building....I run inside towards the door to prevent him from getting all the way in...so he backs out of the entry and holds the door ajar....he says he is the manager and he needs the payment right now because I can’t “just stay here for free”. Then he says that he needs to come in to inspect the apt....I told him “no because it was nearly 11 pm. Then Lady X comes back with the strange man...requesting to check the unit...I told them I will give them the cash in an hour and they can come check the unit during more appropriate hours....meanwhile THE BUILDING is texting me saying the will call the police if I don’t vacate right away. 15 min go by....Lady X and Strange Man are back knocking and using there key fob to enter the apt..at 12 I text Lady X letting her know I have the payment ready....she says she will collect payment and check apt the next day at 11 am.....fast forward....apt checks out....no damages or concerns...but she tells me that because of the dog barking and because of the second dog being here sometimes she is going to relocate me....she says she doesn’t mind if I extend my stay...but THE BUILDING “just doesn’t want me here.”....I explained to her that the dog issue had been worked out weeks ago. And the second dog will no longer be coming here. She also informed me I would be charged $256 on top of the $560 I pay weekly...I agree out of desperation....She doesn’t take the payment and leaves....next morning Lady X takes the cash payment of 850....I threw in a couple extra bucks just to show my appreciation...later on that week I contact Lady X to make sure cash payment is going to be acceptable....she informs me that someone has booked my unit....and I will have to check out...

here are some things to consider:
I have been here for more than 30 days

Lady X does not live on site

The apt building is very VERY high end (hence why they used the phrase “do not want me here)

I’m on camera with both dogs everyday when I walk them....THE BUILDING was fully aware of the second dog.

I can still see the unit is available online

Lady X offered to move me somewhere where she thought “was cooler, and less strict.”

my problem is I don’t want to leave but it seems like they are trying to find any excuse to try to get me out of here because “THEY JUST DONT WANT ME HERE” Aka discrimination. I have seen other tenants with two dogs and yes...sometimes they bark....so why aren’t they getting asked to leave either....They are treating me differently and relocating me by force. Is this allowed?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Does your dog bark? The owner doesn’t have to do business with you. And honestly with the payment issue, if I were the owner I wouldn’t want to do business with you either.

Did you get permission to bring the second dog in before you brought it in?

You cannot force an owner to keep you in the apartment if you have a week to week rental. If you were week to week, it’s time to look for another rental or go back to your own apartment. I am not clear why you didn’t stay in your own place anyway.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Sounds like you were not completely upfront about the dogs....if you were allowed one dog as a service animal but then continued to have two dogs in the rental then you were violating the agreement made at the time of the initial rental period.

What exactly is the discrimination? If its the fact that other residents have two dogs and they won't allow you two dogs, I am sorry to inform you but dogs are not a protected class.

If you already have a rental with roommates, why on earth did you leave it? Stay at home means just that....STAY.AT.HOME.

Jun 24, 2019
You've not made clear what sort of unit this is. Is this an apartment in a regular apartment building? What City is it in (of the 86 cities in Los Angeles County).

Is the landlord the owner of the building or just the tenant who is (illegally) subletting?

Is the dog annoying anyone else?

Most evictions in California are now very difficult as most courts have extremely restricted services.

Oct 6, 2019
There is a 2 animal limit. She insinuated that by paying the fee($256), agreeing to never have the second dog in the apt, and no damages were done to the apt that I would continue to stay.

I still have my original apt. I left temporarily because my roommates weren’t as cautious as I would have liked during the quarantine, so I considered this short term rental.

Oct 6, 2019
Also, haven’t they violated there end of the agreement by entering into the apt after business hours and without any notice?
And purposely making it difficult to pay. I mean it’s ridiculous to think they don’t accept cards anymore.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
FYI While not in California the condo complex I live in only allows owners to have dogs. So it's not unheard of to have varying pet rules within the same complex. I believe our fines are over $100/day if a renter has a dog or has guests that bring a dog on property. So unless you know all of the rules of the complex what others are allowed to do isn't always universal.

May 30, 2019
Also, haven’t they violated there end of the agreement by entering into the apt after business hours and without any notice?
And purposely making it difficult to pay. I mean it’s ridiculous to think they don’t accept cards anymore.
That would depend on the terms of the agreement. Do you have a copy?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Was the $256 for your dog or the second dog? Does the building allow subleasing? A barking dog by someone subleasing might violate building rules and your landlord might be in trouble with the building.

They are also probably worried you won’t have cash to pay the next weeks rent. If you don’t have a current lease- you should consider leaving.

Feb 3, 2017
Are you certain it is a legal vacation rental apartment; many are not.

And, from which platform did you book the apartment - booking.com - vrbo.com -- craig's list - Airbnb? Or, some other one?

Them changing method of payment suggests it is not with some of the more common listing websites - and, depending on its legal status, your rights as a tenant are not what they are when a leaseholder - but, your agreement for the rental should have the Terms and Conditions spelling out cancelation policies, etc. Does your agreement specify the allowance of the one service dog only?

Reactions: alexucimartinez
Feb 3, 2017
Sorry, I missed that Neal - and, yes, if paying (and changing terms) off the platform of booking.com then the agreement for the rental may well likely become moot. The change of payment options seems to indicate this transaction has been taken off booking.com -

Perhaps returning home or securing a different vacation rental (one that is properly registered as legal to avoid future problems) might be best for the OP.

Jun 24, 2019
This site helps you advocate your own case. If I understand the facts, you rented this unit through Booking.com. Is that correct?

Does the listing exclude or limit animals?

This sounds like a very high end building as you say it has a concierge. As Neil asked, is this a legal rental?

You refer to the "owner" and to "Lady X." Is the owner the owner of the whole building, or simply the owner of a single unit?

Do you have a separate written agreement or is your rental just based on the Booking.com listing?

Dec 19, 2014
What is your WRITTEN agreement with the landlord?

As for the question of your rights, it will depend on the laws of your location. Municipalities in California have some pretty unique laws, so you may need to consult with an attorney.

With regards to the service dog. A landlord is allowed to exclude a bona fide service animal if the presence of the animal causes a fundamental alteration of the goods and services offered to other tenants. An example is a dog that nuisance barks keeping neighbors away at night and the dog may be banned. So, if your dog is barking and neighbors are complaining, the landlord has every right to exclude the animal.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
t the
My dog parks every once in a while but nothing extreme.
I understand that you moved to a place of your own out of concern for personal security with the virus. You list some things to consider and close with a comment about discrimination. The most important thing to consider at this point is how much barking your dog does. Whether you move or not, you'll need to get serious about the exact amount of barking. "Once in a while" to me would mean 3 barks in 4 hours. I presume your dog is never left alone and accompanies you everywhere. I would talk with the people who live around you to see if they think your dog barks too often.

Occasionally in a situation like this, it's one neighbor who pitches a fit about something and nobody else is bothered. The people in control of the unit you occupy sound like very bad news, and I hope you can deal with the barking issue and find a better place to live.

Nov 22, 2019
I would suggest leaving ASAP.
If the listing is not legal (it looks to me as an unathorized subleasing: payment was taken out of booking.com, different people are in charge of the apartment and collect cash payment, it is a luxuary place, but I might be wrong), do not waste time talking about the legality of coming to the apartment you're subleasing illegally.

If the listing is legal, it is not a good start with the owner/manager as they already threaten you to call the police, to move you out, etc... Do you really wanna stay there? I would not.

I also don't understand why you want to rent weekly to save money and choose a "very high end" place. You seem to enjoy an ok price for a luxuary place and want to keep it at all cost but does it really worth it? You are now (correct me if wrong) out of booking.com contract so you're living in a place without lease/contract, this is risky.