Book-It Not advising Customers

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 12, 2020
Booked a week long holiday stay for Oceanfront room. The property does not have Front, only View. Bookit was notified by the property of customers dissatisfaction months before my arrival and did not tell me. The property was completely full, our private concierge could do nothing because we already had purchased all the offered amenities. We attempted to negotiate partial compensation but have been denied. We feel we have been knowingly taken advantage of.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you contacted your credit card company? If you didn’t get the room your confirmation stated- they may advise you to file a dispute.

But one thing to be aware is that some “oceanfront” tooms are not actual oceanfront. They are the closest rooms to the beach.

What resort did you stay at?

Feb 12, 2020
Yes I have tried for several months working with Chase Visa. I have sent letters and pictures. I was told because I stayed and did not immediately leave I was accepting of the terms. I was also told other reasons and have sent additional letters and backup and they have closed the case. This is ongoing from December 2018. I am caring this balance on my card and will not pay. I am okay taking a hit on my credit score.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2016
When I started in this business, one of the first things I was warned about, was Ocean FRONT versus Ocean VIEW. The consumer often thinks Oceanfront is a glorious close-to-the-ocean uninterrupted view. Ocean view seemed to be more straightforward until I was told that the view could be a little as a sliver of the ocean seen by craning one's neck over the balcony.

Playa, I think you could try a dispute, but before you file, make sure you read all your paperwork to make sure Bookit has not slid some boilerplate excuse qualifying your room category.

Reactions: Pixie Pie and VoR61
Feb 12, 2020
I was a corporate travel professional for 8 years, I’m familiar with the language. The resort sent letters to all of their vendors telling them of the guests dissatisfaction with this exact issue upon arrival and that the companies need to advise clients that the entire property is View not Front. Bookit had Months to tell me and choose not to do so. All my pictures, and the diagram I was given upon arrival Clearly show this to be the case. If this forum is able to be proactive and do something outside the box that I am unable to do then please let’s move in that direction

Feb 12, 2020
Have you contacted your credit card company? If you didn’t get the room your confirmation stated- they may advise you to file a dispute.

But one thing to be aware is that some “oceanfront” tooms are not actual oceanfront. They are the closest rooms to the beach.

The resort was the all inclusive Excellence Playa Mujeres

Jul 13, 2016
I was a corporate travel professional for 8 years, I’m familiar with the language. The resort sent letters to all of their vendors telling them of the guests dissatisfaction with this exact issue upon arrival and that the companies need to advise clients that the entire property is View not Front. Bookit had Months to tell me and choose not to do so. All my pictures, and the diagram I was given upon arrival Clearly show this to be the case. If this forum is able to be proactive and do something outside the box that I am unable to do then please let’s move in that direction
I wasn't meaning to imply you made an error, or did not understand the distinction between the two categories. I do think you need to read the contract between you and Bookit to make sure they aren't able to weasel out due to some legalese buried deep in the fine print.

Feb 12, 2020
I wasn't meaning to imply you made an error, or did not understand the distinction between the two categories. I do think you need to read the contract between you and Bookit to make sure they aren't able to weasel out due to some legalese buried deep in the fine print.
Got it thank you. I think the point that needs to be looked at is that the resort Itself sent letters to All their vendors telling them that when guests arrive they are disappointed that the resort is not oceanFront. Bookit was advised and made a decision not to tell me and continued to collect my money for months.

Feb 12, 2020

Neil thank you for being the moderator. I did not care to enter into a chat/discussion about this situation. I am grateful for any action by this organization that would produce results.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil thank you for being the moderator. I did not care to enter into a chat/discussion about this situation. I am grateful for any action by this organization that would produce results.
We don't take action for you - we have a post on how to create a paper trail. Here is the information:

Follow the information in that thread to create a paper trail using our company contacts. Once you have gone all the way up the executive chain, if you still have no satisfaction, come back and we'll tell you the next steps.

We ask for the name of the resort because we usually try to recreate your booking to find the error ourselves as it helps us to guide you on what to say in your letter.

Reactions: VoR61
Feb 3, 2019
As Neil clarified, the forum does not advocate on your behalf. That being said, there are a lot of people here with extensive experience and expertise in many topics relevant to consumer disputes. It is of course your choice whether to engage in any discussion. Should you choose to do so, the participants may be able to offer valuable advice specific to your circumstances.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Excellence themselves show their two bedroom rooftop rooms at Oceanfront. Was the the room category you were in?

EXCELLENCE CLUB TWO-STORY ROOFTOP TERRACE SUITE OCEAN FRONT
Discover luxury in our Two-Story Rooftop Terrace Suite. Designed to celebrate its natural beauty and surroundings, these elegant retreats come equipped with unfettered ocean views, a spacious terrace, an in-suite jacuzzi, and your very own plunge pool. Here, service is intuitive and attentive, ye...

I also checked Book it and that is the only room they still show as oceanfront. It looks like the rest of the rooms are correct. But if your confirmation said oceanfront for any other type of room category - I would call your credit card company and ask them what you should do.

Reactions: VoR61
Jun 24, 2019
I've looked at Bookit and at the hotel site. Is the beef that the resort is not actually beach front, or is the beef that while the resort is actually beach front, the room did not have a view of the beach?

From my review of both Bookit and the hotel's own site, I would think this hotel property sits on the water. From my review of the map, it looks like it is further back.

You said this dispute started in December 2018 and Chase, your credit card company, has rejected your chargeback request. I'm not sure at this point in time there is much else to be done. I'm not sure that there was ever more to be done, other than perhaps getting a credit from Booking.com for a future booking, if you actually ever wanted to do business with them again.

To me, the issue is that if the hotel is ocean front, whether or not I can see the ocean, I can walk barefoot from my room into the surf. If I need shoes/flip flops, and have to cross a busy street, the fact I'm near the ocean is not quite ocean front. For example, I can see the Pacific Ocean from my office building in Los Angeles. It is, however, 6 miles to the Pacific on foot. I would not describe my office building as ocean front or even ocean view.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Having researched this a few times, this is what has emerged for me:
  • Beachfront: I can walk out my door onto the beach (no crossing roads)
  • Oceanfront: an unobstructed view of the ocean (could be any floor)
  • Oceanview: an obstructed view of the ocean
So Playa has indicated that the view was obstructed, and thus the room "as advertised" was not so. I agree with @Neil Maley about a refund.

Feb 12, 2020
Excellence themselves show their two bedroom rooftop rooms at Oceanfront. Was the the room category you were in?

EXCELLENCE CLUB TWO-STORY ROOFTOP TERRACE SUITE OCEAN FRONT
Discover luxury in our Two-Story Rooftop Terrace Suite. Designed to celebrate its natural beauty and surroundings, these elegant retreats come equipped with unfettered ocean views, a spacious terrace, an in-suite jacuzzi, and your very own plunge pool. Here, service is intuitive and attentive, ye...

I also checked Book it and that is the only room they still show as oceanfront. It looks like the rest of the rooms are correct. But if your confirmation said oceanfront for any other type of room category - I would call your credit card company and ask them what you should do.
Yes Neil, this is the category I was booked into. The card company, after months of letter writing, pictures, documents and so forth have closed the case. I believe I am at the end of the line.

Jun 24, 2019
Having researched this a few times, this is what has emerged for me:
  • Beachfront: I can walk out my door onto the beach (no crossing roads)
  • Oceanfront: an unobstructed view of the ocean (could be any floor)
  • Oceanview: an obstructed view of the ocean
So Playa has indicated that the view was obstructed, and thus the room "as advertised" was not so. I agree with @Neil Maley about a refund.

I think OP says in post 3 that OP's credit card company, Chase, will do nothing and that the problem dates from December 2018, which I read, but I could be wrong, means that OP stayed there in December 2018.

We are booked in September at a hotel which advertises itself as "beachfront" at Waikiki and the lead picture implies that it sits on right on the beach. There are, in fact, hotels in Waikiki which are on the beach. I agree with you as to what I think those words ("beachfront") mean, but to get from the hotel to the beach requires crossing Kalakaua Avenue, a fairly busy street. (I'm not complaining, just observing.)

So OP is looking for a strategy at this point where OP has apparently received no satisfaction from the hotel, Bookit or from Chase.

Jun 24, 2019
Yes Neil, this is the category I was booked into. The card company, after months of letter writing, pictures, documents and so forth have closed the case. I believe I am at the end of the line.

I think, regrettably, that you are at the end of the line. I think rejecting the room once you arrive, as Chase suggested, is an extraordinarily bad idea. You don't need to ruin your vacation because a provider has misrepresented its services. And it's not like Chase or Book-it would reimburse you for a last-minute booking of an actual beach front room to substitute for the unacceptable room.

I'm not unsympathetic to your problem. Been there, done that. As I said above, you are looking for a strategy. I don't have any good suggestion. You seem to have covered the bases.

Reactions: BittyBoo and VoR61
Feb 3, 2019
From my review of both Bookit and the hotel's own site, I would think this hotel property sits on the water. From my review of the map, it looks like it is further back.
The resort is on the beach. I stayed next door a few years ago and walked past it along the beach. There are no roads between the resort and the water.

The question may be whether there are rooms that front directly onto the beach or water, unobstructed by any structures, walkways, or other physical or visual interruptions. I'm by no means an expert in all-inclusives, but I have visited several, and don't think I've seen one that actually has lodging in the first tier directly on the beach. Every one I have been to has, at best, buildings immediately behind the palapas, Bali beds, bars/restaurants, and other structures on the resort's beachfront.

Judging by the resort map, it looks like the Excellence's buildings are all set in slightly from the beach. Those closest to the water may face and have unobstructed views of the ocean, but they front immediately onto beachside pools, not sand.

Calling these "oceanfront" is at best a stretch...

Reactions: SoCalTraveler