Bahamas trip - United won't refund me!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 29, 2020
I booked a family trip to The Bahamas for December 2020 (booked it in April 2020), well before many of the COVID19 policies were instituted. Since booking, The Bahamas has implemented a mandatory 14-day self quarantine upon arrival. Clearly this is no longer a viable trip to take as a result, as we are not longer permitted to travel in the country. I requested a refund from United but was only offered an electronic travel certificate. I feel that this is an unfair policy because traveling in The Bahamas is no longer a legal option for us and as a result, the flight should be fully refunded. Does anybody have any idea on how I can get my money refunded? I should also note that I am a Premier Platinum member. I have tried calling and was told that because this reason is not covered in their refund policy, there is nothing they will do for me. Help!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It is way too early to cancel a December trip. The ban could be lifted by December.

You canceled too soon-if travel is still banned in December, it’s likely United would cancel the flight and then you would have been eligible for a refund.

Unless the airline has canceled the flight, you aren’t due a refund.

Please read this about canceling too early.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Hate to split hairs with you but you are legally allowed to travel to the Bahamas....you just have to quarantine for 14 days. I know that your intention was to vacation there but the airlines don't care why you are flying to your destination.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I booked a family trip to The Bahamas for December 2020 (booked it in April 2020), well before many of the COVID19 policies were instituted. Since booking, The Bahamas has implemented a mandatory 14-day self quarantine upon arrival. Clearly this is no longer a viable trip to take as a result, as we are not longer permitted to travel in the country. I requested a refund from United but was only offered an electronic travel certificate. I feel that this is an unfair policy because traveling in The Bahamas is no longer a legal option for us and as a result, the flight should be fully refunded. Does anybody have any idea on how I can get my money refunded? I should also note that I am a Premier Platinum member. I have tried calling and was told that because this reason is not covered in their refund policy, there is nothing they will do for me. Help!
It is not clear if you did or did not cancel your travel. UA vouchers issued earlier this year are good for rebooking 24 months from issue for flights up to 35 months from issue. What the terms on the voucher were when you canceled (if you did so) may be the same.

As others noted, if you canceled now you are not eligible for a refund. If you wait until Dec and UA cancels the flights, then you will receive a refund.

Skippy

May 30, 2019
Good news! I thought I'd try to tweet at United and see what happens - they agreed to provide a full refund to my original form of payment!
Great news! However, as a United Elite, you should have known to wait and see if the flight times change substantially as that would have led to the requirement that United refund you.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Jul 29, 2020
It is not clear if you did or did not cancel your travel. UA vouchers issued earlier this year are good for rebooking 24 months from issue for flights up to 35 months from issue. What the terms on the voucher were when you canceled (if you did so) may be the same.

As others noted, if you canceled now you are not eligible for a refund. If you wait until Dec and UA cancels the flights, then you will receive a refund.
I did cancel my travel as that is what United's refund request website instructed me to do. I've now learned that was the wrong decision to make, but fortunately it appears to have worked out.

Jul 29, 2020
Great news! However, as a United Elite, you should have known to wait and see if the flight times change substantially as that would have led to the requirement that United refund you.
I've literally never had a need to cancel a flight before, i just didnt know what the best practice was. I definitely should have done more research in hindsight.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It's not United's fault that your scheduled trip no longer makes sense. Nor are they responsible for countries deciding to keep Americans from visiting. Expecting a refund because it's fair is flawed logic. Their future credit terms are more than generous, and you can use that credit to fly anywhere you like. Sorry we don't have a magic wand.

Jul 29, 2020
It's not United's fault that your scheduled trip no longer makes sense. Nor are they responsible for countries deciding to keep Americans from visiting. Expecting a refund because it's fair is flawed logic. Their future credit terms are more than generous, and you can use that credit to fly anywhere you like. Sorry we don't have a magic wand.
Absolutely disagree. If they expect people to book any type of international travel they need to be ready for these requests. And if you read all of my replies, you'll also see that i was able to get them to agree to a complete refund, so apparently they do agree with me as well. And to simply say "your trip no longer makes sense" is an abhorrent simplification.

Reactions: Skippy

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Absolutely disagree. If they expect people to book any type of international travel they need to be ready for these requests. And if you read all of my replies, you'll also see that i was able to get them to agree to a complete refund, so apparently they do agree with me as well. And to simply say "your trip no longer makes sense" is an abhorrent simplification.
My abject apologies, I did miss the post about the refund. Frankly, I was hoping that your status would swing United over to your side, but I couldn't very well state that ... I did think it was a possibility. Well done!