Avis billing issue and terrible customer service

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2019
This issue has been going on since February 21, 2019. I will apologize before hand because this will be a very long and detailed thread.

Since the very beginning I have received nothing but disrespect and careless agents. I have spoken with both customer service, and the security department (loss and prevent). I have reached out to both security managers in Indiana and Illinois in which Tom Feefy was helpful at the beginning then he stopped answering the phone.

I’ll start from the beginning, I called in on February 21 or 22 to report that the car had been impounded. I was advised by the security department that someone would be in touch with me in 24/48 hours. When I didn’t receive a call back I called in and spoke with a rep by the name of Autumn who had advised me it would take 72 hours to contact me back. I asked her did she know how long it would take them to get the rental back because the car was supposed to be returned on the 24th and she stated she was not aware. However my charges would be backdated. So from that day on I still didn’t receive a call back from anyone and I called back in yet again each time I called in I was transferred to the security department and was advised there wasn’t a live person I could speak with however they would send over a request. Each time I was told something different. One rep said my charges would be backdated then another said oh no that’s not true.

I had to drive 1300 miles back to Indiana to Avis (where I rented the car from) just to get a phone number of the the security manager in that state. I was provided Tom’s number. When I called he stated they got a new system so it’s not easy to find where cars are. He said he can that the car was in an impound lot and it hasn’t been picked up. He also told me that he was the manager of Indiana but the car was I’m Illinois and I needed to call Greg little. He gave me his contact information and I reached out to him.

Greg, was very rude from the start. When I called I advised him that Tom gave me his contact info. He advised me that since someone was driving the vehicle that was not on the contract my contract was voided and I would not receive a call regarding this matter. Now I’m aware of my mistake however that does not mean that it’s okay to be treated the way I have from each Avis customer service representative, supervisors and managers. He proceeded to advice me that since I broke the contract my vehicle would be picked up last and he would see to that. When I asked why was he being so rude he stated because I broke my contract and I shouldn’t even be caking regarding the vehicle. I advised him that I also had belongings in the vehicle and he stated that I contacted the wrong person he was not the manager of the Illinois region and all the info that Tom gave me was incorrect and right before he disconnect the call he said he will be putting me on the DO NOT RENT LIST!

I called back into customer service and was transferred to the security department. I spoke with another woman who advised me that there was nothing she could do besides send another email out regarding the car.

After the disagreement I had with Greg I continued to reach out to Tom, left countless voicemails, and he never got back to me.

Fast forward a few weeks, I called back in on March 21 and was transferred to security I asked the rep if she could tell me what was going on because the car still had not been returned. She placed me on hold then transferred me to a gentlemen by the name of Joe who informed me the car had been returned on March 14. He said there was an issue with the paperwork and the impound wouldn’t release the vehicle and he said this was a known issue.
I asked him did he know where my belongings were and he said no. He gave my the number to the Chicago maintenance center and the lost and found in the Chicago airport. When I contacted the number it was the police department and they informed me I needed to contact Avis because they wouldn’t have anything of mines.

I never received a call regarding my property not did I receive final bill. I looked at my credit card stayed and seen that I was charged $1650.37. My original charge was on supposed to be $565 (est) if it was returned by February 24.

I called in on March 24th to go over charges and was transferred to security onThe manager advised me that she would put in a request to have someone review my calls because I advised her that I was told my charges would be backdated because that wasn’t supposed to be the case. She told me it would day 7 business days.

I called in today (March 28) to make sure the request was put in and I was advised that it was not. I spoke with a supervisor by the name of MANNY, he told me that nobody would call me back regarding this manner because nobody is going to review my calls. He further told me that he would remove the late charges. I advised him that I shouldn’t have to pay the entire balance because I was told that I would not be charge for the extra days. He told me that instead of charging me for 20 days he would only charge me for 10 and he would take off half the charges for the late fee. The total charges for the adjustment was $623.30. He told me if I agreed to this adjustment I COULD NOT CALL BACK IN REGARDING A BILLING ISSUE! I told him that was ridiculous because the bill should be split in half. He said that wasn’t going to happen. I advised him that I never even received my final bill nor do I have the belongings in the car he said that was another matter.

In the end he told me he would adjust the $623.30 and he would send me an email with the updated bill. He said the adjustment would take 3-5 days. I said ok.

I checked my email five minutes later and I only received the final bill (which again I never got in the first place). I called back into customer service and asked was there any notation on my account regarding this refund and was told no. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor (her name started with an L) she was very rude. She told me the information that I was stating to her regarding the adjustment is incorrect, she told me there was no notation from a MAnny. I asked to have my calls reviewed yet again and she told me NO THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN, WE WILL NOT REVIEW ANY CALLS! then disconnected the call.

I called back yet again and was transferred to another supervisor. The gentleman informed me there was no note from manny only from the last manager I spoke with. He said she noted the conversation regarding the adjustment. I asked was there anything from Manny and he said no, he also said they have heard his name before and is aware of the things that he does. He said MAnny will inform customers of this name but will notate under a different name. He also said he will have mg account further looked into and have someone higher up review my account.

Again, I am very disappointed in the customer service that I have received from customer representatives, supervisors and managers. All I wanted was for someone to review my calls because I was told on more than one occasion that I would not be charged for the days it took someone to pick up the vehicle.

I am aware that I broke my contract however that does not give anyone the right to treat me the way that I have been treated. Everyone makes mistakes and I’m just trying to fix mines.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
A rental car was impounded? Why? Because someone else was driving it? How did Avis know someone else was driving the car?

Did you have the car beyond the date you contracted for?

This story makes no sense. If the police are now involved you probably need an Attorney.

There is more to this then you are stating. What caused the car to be impounded?

Reactions: LDVinVA and VoR61

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Stop calling Avis. Communicate by email only. They will not review your calls and you have no documentation of any advice you were given over the phone.
Use these contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/avis-budget/
Start at the first customer service person and work your way down the list weekly if no/negative response.

Your post here is extremely long and does not even explain how your problem arose. In your initial email using the contacts, you need to explain exactly what happened to the car and why and leave out everything related to your phone calls.

I would not focus on any personal belongings-if they are returned it will be a miracle.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Should you decide to contact Avis using the contacts wiehlac specified I have some suggestions:
  • Do not include details of your history with Avis and impound. This information will not help you obtain any credit, and will likely be a distraction.
  • Acknowledge freely and humbly your error that lead to the impound. Do NOT blame anyone else for the fallout.
  • State simply that you have experienced difficulty in resolving this and would like their help.
  • Explain VERY politely that you would appreciate any credit they would be willing to apply toward your bill
  • If you plan to rent with Avis in the future, say you would appreciate not being placed on the DNR list
Best wishes for success . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
These questions are necessary in order to advise you. We cannot assist with withheld information. If you want assistance you need to be honest and give us the full history of what occurred so we can advise you properly.

I’m sorry if you don’t want to divulge that but we can’t help unless we know the full story.

Sep 19, 2015
Who was driving the car and how/why it impounded?

Car was rented in Indiana and impounded in Chicago? And you drove 1300 miles back to Indiana? How? In another rental car?

Did the police impound the car for something like illegal parking or something worse.

The details matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.