Auto Europe wont sign release form for insurance payment

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 1, 2015
I had rented a car in Australia from Europcar. I was in a minor accident and I explained how every thing had happened when i returned the car. Three months later, I received their claim letter and I filed all the documents with my citi card which provides world wide primary car insurance. This claim was ACCEPTED and the insurance company contracted by Citi bank has sent a release form to Europcar asking them to sign it and accept it as full and final payment and release them from any liability ( The amount is exactly what they had asked for). So here is a case where insurance company is actually willing to make the payment and I have confirmed it on the phone.

Unfortunately, Europcar seems unwilling to sign the release form...they first asked me to send the release form via email and *found it hard to believe* when I said the insurance company only works through US mail. Now, they are saying that I am contractually obligated to pay for damages and threatening with me legal action including sending it to a debt collection agency.

I am at my wit's end because it's not as if they are NOT receiving payment. And it was never communicated to me that they will only accept payment from me and not from the insurance company. But the insurance company will not release the payment unless Europcar sign the release form. In fact, despite my repeated requests, Europcar is unwilling to even clarify if they have received the release form.

I am not sure how to handle this and I would greatly appreciate your help. I am more than willing to send you all the emails I have received from them.

Last edited:
B

bodega3

Please forgive me on the question but I need clarification. Are you dealing with AE because of the insurance that they offer up to a dollar amount? Usually you pay the car company, as AutoEurope is the vendor that sells the various car agencies at a destination.

Sep 1, 2015
Hi Bodega,

Nope. My car rental is directly from AutoEurope and I think I had used priceline to buy it.

My car insurance is provided by my citi credit card as a benefit. They have contracted with an outside insurance agency.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
RP, I think that you need to triple check all this. AutoEurope is a broker, they find you the best deal, you pay them, they give you a voucher, you give the voucher to the car rental company and sign the car rental company's documents when you pick up the car. Have you called AutoEurope to discuss this? What's the name of the car rental agency on your paperwork?

Sep 1, 2015
My bad, guys. It is from Europcar and not auto Europe. For some reason, I always get confused.

Update: this is the email I just received from them.

I must stress the fact that Europcar will not liase with your travel insurer in relation to the outstanding amount.

Again, your rental contract is binding yourself and Europcar, not your travel insurer.
You need to settle the debt directly then claim from your travel insurer as the debt lies in your name.

I am yet to receive the release form and have no intentions of signing it.

Once the recovery is made from the third party in full, Europcar are bound to refund yourself and not your travel insurer.

As stated below if payment is not made by the 7th of September 2015, Europcar will send our file to debt collection where legal proceedings may commence against you for the debt.'

The problem is that in the insurance claim I filed: I made the Europcar the payee and Athe insurance company is unwilling to change it now.

I was NEVER told this before. What should I do now?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
There may be better options, RP, but 7 September is coming right up. I would talk with your citi's insurance department to see if you can get some extra support. I think the release request is pretty standard; rental car companies seem to delight in leaning on their customers; obviously many of them just fork over the money.

At the very least, citi could go after Europcar with some muscle and get them to back off the strong-arm techniques. It is my (unsupported by experience) opinion that rental car companies delight in torturing individuals, but may be a little less obnoxious with your insurance company. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sep 1, 2015
Primal,

Yes, I send the mail by Fax requesting them to change the payer to them. Have not heard back yet.

Mar 17, 2015
Well, here is what will most likely happen in a sane world. If they proceed down the legal road, you have this very nice e-mail to show a judge/arbitrator showing that they could get payment, if they would just sign the release. How does that look to anyone with half a brain? Like they are deliberately delaying the proceedings. If they don't agree with the amount, well, that is another issue, but that is not what they are stating.

Start by calling your insurance company again and send them the letter. Then, if this does not work, write your insurance company's executive contacts. Normally, we say allow a week, but in your case, escalate it up every 24 hours given the short time frame. Make sure to attach the letter from Europecar to each of your e-mails. State that you were not aware they would not accept payment from a third party and you need to get them the $$ in some form or fashion.

I really don't understand why they won't sign the waiver and accept the check. This makes no sense. If they want the payment, sign off, or let you know WHY they won't.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Well, here is what will most likely happen in a sane world. If they proceed down the legal road, you have this very nice e-mail to show a judge/arbitrator showing that they could get payment, if they would just sign the release. How does that look to anyone with half a brain? Like they are deliberately delaying the proceedings. If they don't agree with the amount, well, that is another issue, but that is not what they are stating.

Start by calling your insurance company again and send them the letter. Then, if this does not work, write your insurance company's executive contacts. Normally, we say allow a week, but in your case, escalate it up every 24 hours given the short time frame. Make sure to attach the letter from Europecar to each of your e-mails. State that you were not aware they would not accept payment from a third party and you need to get them the $$ in some form or fashion.

I really don't understand why they won't sign the waiver and accept the check. This makes no sense. If they want the payment, sign off, or let you know WHY they won't.
I think he was asking the wrong party, Tanya. A release/payment is pretty standard in the biz, I think.