AT&T charges International long distance block was put in place

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 25, 2020
Last year , I moved from T-Mobile to AT&T with 4 existing lines

I got 4 iPhone XR phones from them as they offered as part of their promotions, buy 2, get 2 free

I called AT&T customer server Technical support to put a block in ALL the international Texting and calling block

AT&T put me in hold in the line for few minute and then confirmed they did put the block for the Intl long distance - This was last year , days after I switched from T-Mobile to AT&T

One of the AT&T purchased phones with line number 6xx-xxx-xxxx we will did not use it immediately but used the AT&T SIM card in my personal Samsung phone

I used to call around the world with Google Voice as I did for few years

When my personal Samsung phone died which was purchases from Samsung directly , I used the original AT&T phone now

The google Voice App was used to call India. it confirmed it is routed thru Google voice

I received a text message saying that I was using Intl Long Distance on Sunday while I was in the church for $200, on a Sunday. the AT&T cust service was closed in the week-end

No idea why I received as we were using the Google Voice which charges use 1 cent per minute

After the church, I called and received that the Cust service was closed on the week-end, call Monday

I called Monday, and was transferred around and told they have no idea why I received this text

After 2 days, I received for $400 text message and I then called the Cust service and they figured out that I was using ling distance

They further said that the block was not set properly, not it was set correctly - it was their fault it seems

I was again assured all the fine and I have no problem, so we continued to use Good voice thru the Google Voice app

End of the month , I received long distance charges for more than $1400 + original bill for $240 ( for the regular phone service and device changes per month , for 30 months agreement )

I called the Cust service and explained and they agreed the issue, saw the old notes That I called and raised the issue twice before and also the block was not set correctly as requested, the fault was AT&T

The case number is CMxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx

They now said that They will wave the fess buy I have to pay $1000.00

When asked the explanation is that the Customer service Manager agreed but the back office refused without a explanation

Each time I called and requested to know the status of the case , they add notes to the case and say they will get back to me in a few days and they NEVER do

Then they switched off the connection for all the 4 lines without talking to me and letting me know the status or the reason

They all agree that it was AT&T fault but they do nothing

I each time I requested to send me a copy of the case and they reply we don't have means to send anything outside

The people I spoke are follows

Lajoi
Lanie

I even when to the store and they looked at the case number and said it was rejected but refused to give me the copy of the report

After they switched off the lines, I had to switch to another carrier

The phones are AT&T locked and not able to use them now too

I still have $1000.00 for the long distance and the device changes ( I will pay for the device - iPhone ) which is $1703.78

Much appreciate if you can help me Please

Note: Edited by a moderator to remove personal information and case number

Nov 22, 2019
Trying to understand. You got international charges, refused to pay, got disconnected.

When was it? It is this month, recent or old?

Did you get all your calls billed on yout google account or not? It can't be billed two times.

Are you sure the phones are only $1700? If you left AT&T or stop paying your bill, the buy one get one free will not be valid anymore and it is possible that you will be charged for 4 phones instead of 2 phones.

Usually when there is a high bill for international things, AT&T can add an international plan retroactively to decrease the amount to pay. Ii is not cheap but much cheaper than pay per minute, I got the same issues few years ago.
Is it possible for you to do this?

May 25, 2020
My first thought is that Apple phones don't always play well with Google apps. Did you have the settings correctly set in Google voice? Did Google voice charge you for all the calls you made as well?
I did actually
Everytime I phone, I get The google message that is routed thru them, costs 1 cent per min
The settings were the first ones I always look for
Also there is a lock at AT&T to prevent the intl log distance too - that didnot work as they admitted it was set incorrectly

Last edited:

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
I did actually
The settings were the first ones I always look for
Also there is a lock at AT&T to prevent the intl log distance too - that didnot work as they admitted it was set incorrectly
So what did AT&T say when you were charged by google voice for those calls? You should be able to match up what AT&T is billing you with what google voice billed you.

May 25, 2020
Trying to understand. You got international charges, refused to pay, got disconnected.
That is 100% correct
When was it? It is this month, recent or old?

3 months only since I was disconnected

Did you get all your calls billed on you google account or not? It can't be billed two times.
I did get the bills at the Google too :-(

Are you sure the phones are only $1700? If you left AT&T or stop paying your bill, the buy one get one free will not be valid anymore and it is possible that you will be charged for 4 phones instead of 2 phones.

The billing for the phones cost was clear - 4 phones

The Long distance is addl actually

Usually when there is a high bill for international things, AT&T can add an international plan retroactively to decrease the amount to pay. Ii is not cheap but much cheaper than pay per minute, I got the same issues few years ago.
Is it possible for you to do this?

I did beg them really - they said the back office manager rejects them every time :-(

It is a plain day light robbery actually

Looked for the legal option - the google research basically said they cannot take them to the court and the only option is to go for arbitration, which takes a log time and also at their place and their panel of judges too

Now to goes to collections
The credit history gets affected

Last edited:
May 25, 2020
So what did AT&T say when you were charged by google voice for those calls? You should be able to match up what AT&T is billing you with what google voice billed you.
They said they have no way to check with Google
I requested them to give me the text copy of the case number that was created, which did say that it was setup incorrectly , they refused saying that they have no way for them to send me a copy

What do I do now

Such a cheating company and dishonest in all their dealings

I lost all confidence with AT&T :-(

May 25, 2020
STOP calling ATT; use email or social media only.

Nothing you are told on the phone means anything and can/will be changed by the next person you speak to. You need to develop an electronic record.

Also if your iphones were not unlocked and had an ATT SIM card in place, you were on the ATT network.

Oh okay

I will now send them a request email and quote the case number

Thx

May 25, 2020
My first thought is that Apple phones don't always play well with Google apps. Did you have the settings correctly set in Google voice? Did Google voice charge you for all the calls you made as well?
Google did charge me for the calls and charged by ATT too

Nov 22, 2019
On this AT&T forum, it explains the issue you had (unfortunately no resolution). Basically, Google Voice uses either network or wifi and it can get billed as international call (you need to use airplane mode).
So the charges you got are correct (no billing error from AT&T). I wonder if the block didn't work because you used Google Voice.

If you do not want to go to arbitration, I would (personal opinion):
1) Contact the collection agency to work on a payment plan to pay it or pay it all, because of your credit score.
2) Contact google voice because their app has obviously a design issue (no warning at all that you're basically paying both Google and AT&T for the same call), keep polite with them. Hope for reimbursement of what you were billed or future credits.
3) In the past, I had some change using the AT&T forum, then AT&TCare contacted me and resolved some issues. I had to threaten to switch to Verizon, but you already swtiched so I am not sure if it will work or not. (https://forums.att.com/). Do you still have an account with AT&T or is it fully closed? Maybe their retention team can help.
4) Contact also the AT&T contacts from this forum. You can show you paid with Google Voice, so you didn't intend to make international calls without an international plan, maybe they can help.

By the way, $1000 was a lot of money and not your fault, neither AT&T fault, but two free iPhone XR was also quite a lot. Try to see the positive part!

Reactions: Mel65