Aruba not allowing flights from USA until AFTER we were scheduled to depart

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 19, 2020
Hello everyone! This is my first time here and I am SO happy to have found this! We were scheduled to depart USA on 7/5 to Aruba. Aruba is not allowing flights to land from USA until 7/10. Sooo, unfortunately, that doesn't work. We booked our flight through CheapOair (I see all the comments. I won't do that again!) They have NOT notified us that there is a cancellation of the flight, but I know we are not allowed to land per ARUBA GOVERNMENT regulation. Am I entitled to a full refund (minus the booking fee, per their rules, but the booking fee is not out there in plain sight. I believe it can be "up to $35/ticket")? Should I wait until 72 hours before I was scheduled to depart to cancel? Are they required to let us know about the cancelled flight within a certain timeframe? Thank you, in advance, for sharing all of your wealth of knowledge!!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If the airline cancels your flight, you are due a refund. If they aren’t, you aren’t due a refund, only a credit less any fees.

And unfortunately, because you didn’t book direct, you will have to deal with CheapoAir, because the airlines won’t deal with you directly. And- DOT refund rules don’t apply if you booked through an agency, only if you booked directly through the airline. Most agencies are going by DOT rules but some aren’t - and they don’t have to.

You should check the flight on the airlines website and see if it is still scheduled. If it’s been canceled, you can go to Cheapo with that information.

Reactions: Skippy
Jun 19, 2020
If the airline cancels your flight, you are due a refund. If they aren’t, you aren’t due a refund, only a credit less any fees.

And unfortunately, because you didn’t book direct, you will have to deal with CheapoAir, because the airlines won’t deal with you directly. And- DOT refund rules don’t apply if you booked through an agency, only if you booked directly through the airline. Most agencies are going by DOT rules but some aren’t - and they don’t have to.

You should check the flight on the airlines website and see if it is still scheduled. If it’s been canceled, you can go to Cheapo with that information.
Thank you for the quick response, Neil! I appreciate your help!

Apr 10, 2017
Hello everyone! This is my first time here and I am SO happy to have found this! We were scheduled to depart USA on 7/5 to Aruba. Aruba is not allowing flights to land from USA until 7/10. Sooo, unfortunately, that doesn't work. We booked our flight through CheapOair (I see all the comments. I won't do that again!) They have NOT notified us that there is a cancellation of the flight, but I know we are not allowed to land per ARUBA GOVERNMENT regulation. Am I entitled to a full refund (minus the booking fee, per their rules, but the booking fee is not out there in plain sight. I believe it can be "up to $35/ticket")? Should I wait until 72 hours before I was scheduled to depart to cancel? Are they required to let us know about the cancelled flight within a certain timeframe? Thank you, in advance, for sharing all of your wealth of knowledge!!
Despite the ban, has the flight been canceled? You don't name the airline but it is possible that it will cancel at the last allowed minute pre-flight. It can delay paying refunds until that time.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
FYI I believe Cheapo air is one of the ones notorious for booking "round trip" flights that are actually two separate tickets. If they did that with your flights it will be different than if they were all on one PNR. Meaning if Cheapo actually booked them separately that the return won't be canceled just because your flight there was.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
There are a great many issues to sort through, Karen. I'm so sorry you used this cheap booking service, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. But grit your teeth and get the answers you need from them before moving forward. Hopefully, they sold you a round-trip tix, but if there are two separate tix, you'll have to go through it all twice. Best scenario would be a R/T tix on a flight that the airline cancels. Even then, dealing with CheapO will be annoying, but necessary. AFter finding out exactly what your options are, come back if you need us.

Jun 19, 2020
There are a great many issues to sort through, Karen. I'm so sorry you used this cheap booking service, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. But grit your teeth and get the answers you need from them before moving forward. Hopefully, they sold you a round-trip tix, but if there are two separate tix, you'll have to go through it all twice. Best scenario would be a R/T tix on a flight that the airline cancels. Even then, dealing with CheapO will be annoying, but necessary. AFter finding out exactly what your options are, come back if you need us.
You're not kidding! I have one airline (American) with one Airline confirmation number,on the flight TO Aruba and a different airline (JetBlue) with a DIFFERENT Airline confirmation number. I looked up the American flight TO Aruba and it only showed Boston to Miami... the flight from Miami to Aruba did NOT even appear. I called American and spoke to a very nice agent, Carol. She told me that as the flight was no going to Aruba that day, the flight was cancelled I would qualify for a refund. I then went to the CheapOair site and clicked on REFUND button. It gave me a reply "Refund is not allowed per airline policy. You can try future credit/exchange option. If you need clarification, you can call us at 1-646-738-4820 between 8 and 2 EST." I called CheapOair (several times as when I entered the 2 different booking numbers that they gave me had an auto attendant message that they "could not locate that number"). I tried their toll free number but an auto attendant message said to call the non-toll free number. I tried again. I finally had to put in my phone number, they "found" my itinerary, but again, an auto attendant message said, your flight is not within 72 hours, call again, and disconnected. Based on your information, it appears that they may in fact have booked 2 separate flights. If that is the case, I'm wondering if, in your experience, they would allow a refund of the flight TO Aruba - as that WAS cancelled, and allow a credit for the return flight, as I'm guessing that is not cancelled. Thank you so much for all your insight into this mess! I don't give up easy, but I try not to remain flexible!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They booked you two separate tickets, not a round trip.

And here is the bad news - because you booked through a third party and not directly with the airline- DOT rules about refunds don’t apply. While most agencies follow DOT guidelines, they aren’t required to.

Did the agent tell you the flight has been canceled or that it is just isn’t going to go? Two different terms. If she said it isn’t going to go that usually means it’s not cancelled yet.

And because you have two separate tickets- you are going to have to do this with the JetBlue flight because canceling the AA flight has no bearing on your return flight home.

Jun 19, 2020
Thank you, again, Neil. As you are the expert at this and have dealt with this type situation a LOT more often that I have, do you suggest just asking for a credit? I know it would most likely have to mean I'd have to book with CheapOair again, but in your opinion, would that be my best course of action? I've been going to Aruba for 16 years and I've always booked directly with JetBlue, but this year the flights were in the stratosphere. I'll spend the "extra" money from now on! Lesson learned! And, on a more positive note... I found the Elliott Advocacy Team! "Thank you" is just so inadequate for you quick replies and help.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I would wait until 24 hours before to see if the flights are canceled. If they are, then go back to Cheapo and request a refund.
Since Cheapo is so difficult to reach, I'd start looking about 3 days out to see what's been cancelled. Just to build in a little extra time if it's needed. But, I suppose the airlines are now not cancelling until the very last minute so they don't have to shell out so many refunds. What a mess this virus is causing.

Reactions: Neil Maley