Appropriate compensation to request

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Count my lucky stars I've not been walked anywhere in 30 years! What a mess. I've never found hotel management to be very competent at any level when it comes to situations like this; they moan and groan and try, but accomplish little. Best to tell THEM what you want. Add up the value of breakfast, the value of too-small accommodations vs the suite cost, throw in 25% more for your inconvenience and ask for POINTS. Cash is too hard to pry out of an airline or hotel.

And, everyone, remember the happy traveller's rule: if you're arriving after 6pm, assume the hotel will screw up your res. Stay in contact with them by phone. Find out if the person you're speaking with will still be on duty when you arrive. If not, get the name of the next agent coming on. In other words, so their jobs for them ... it's much easier in the long run.

Nov 25, 2019
Wanted to provide an update:

I contacted customer service on Nov. 25 and they immediately offered 20,000 points. I wrote back asking if they would be willing to bump it up to 25,000 points (equivalent to a free category 4 night), reiterating the expenses and my desire to patronize Marriott properties again, and got a response saying they would forward my request to the Residence Inn.

I realized on Friday Dec. 6 that I hadn't heard back, so I wrote to customer service again to ask for an update. Having still not heard back, yesterday I emailed Renee Buonincontri (the first escalation contact). Today I got a response from someone in her office apologizing for the lack of response and told me that the Residence Inn had updated the internal case notes, granted me 35,000 points on Dec. 4 (a free category 5 night), and marked the case as closed. Since I don't closely monitor my points balance, I didn't notice.

The end result is I get a do-over night. I travel often enough that I have no doubt I will not only use the night, but likely add a few paid nights on to it as well.

Thanks all for your insight.

Jun 24, 2019
If you load the Marriott Bonvoy app to your phone, there is a button for "account," by which you can see the total points in your account and the recent history of points added.

Reactions: Patina
Nov 25, 2019
If you load the Marriott Bonvoy app to your phone, there is a button for "account," by which you can see the total points in your account and the recent history of points added.
Thanks. Once I knew to look for it, I logged into my account and saw the history. I just didn't think to look for it before I received an answer.

(It actually looks like the Residence Inn gave me 30,000 points and the person who reached out today opted to give me an additional 5,000 points, even though she credited the RI for giving me 35,000 points.)

Dec 19, 2014
(It actually looks like the Residence Inn gave me 30,000 points and the person who reached out today opted to give me an additional 5,000 points, even though she credited the RI for giving me 35,000 points.)
Most likely, the "cost" of the 35k points was assessed to the RI.

Glad this worked out and Marriott eventually did the right thing!

Reactions: VoR61

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is VERY good news! The lack of communication skills today is stunning. They give you more than you thought but they don't bother to tell you? I've learned to check my account before I follow up on this kind of thing ... half the time your request is granted already. I swear I cannot fathom what goes on in the minds of hotel people. Your email is right there, what's the problem with a little communication? I suspect it may have something to do with language fluency.

Apr 3, 2016
This is VERY good news! The lack of communication skills today is stunning. They give you more than you thought but they don't bother to tell you? I've learned to check my account before I follow up on this kind of thing ... half the time your request is granted already. I swear I cannot fathom what goes on in the minds of hotel people. Your email is right there, what's the problem with a little communication? I suspect it may have something to do with language fluency.
It is very possible that they consider awarding the points as "hearing from Marriott" already. A person has "heard from them" (via their Marriott account), just not via email.

Reactions: VoR61