Antarctica Travel Insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 30, 2020
Hi All! I'm newbie here...

Travel to Antarctica on 11/2021 for an 11-day expeditipn trip is confirmed; initial downpayment (commitment) is this week. Balance Final Payment most probably six months prior to 11/2021. Questions: For this type of trip what type of travel insurance is recommended? When do you purchase the travel insurance? Which insurance company would you recommend? TIA.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Who did you book the trip with? Did you ask if they sell insurance?

Otherwise, go to insuremytrip and and take a look at policies and call the company of one you are interested in and ask them about coverage.

If you booked your trip with a travel agent, they can help you.

We can’t make recommendations of companies here.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I buy trip insurance through Travel Insurance Cnter in Omaha. I prefer a licensed agent finding the best policy for my needs since I have comp coverage with my Chase CC. So I can buy the additional coverage needed quite reasonably.

Reactions: Mel65

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
I have comp coverage with my Chase CC. So I can buy the additional coverage needed quite reasonably.
Y'know, I have 2 CCs through Chase (United Mileage Plus, and my Amazon Prime Visa) and the last time I looked before going on a trip, I swear they quietly took away some of my trip insurance coverages until I don't feel like I have great coverage from them anymore... has yours changed?

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Y'know, I have 2 CCs through Chase (United Mileage Plus, and my Amazon Prime Visa) and the last time I looked before going on a trip, I swear they quietly took away some of my trip insurance coverages until I don't feel like I have great coverage from them anymore... has yours changed?
Yes, I heard some rumblings and find that the Chase Reserve no longer covers insolvency of the travel provider. Gotta admit, excluding it right now is a smart move on Chase' part, but if I hadn't checked I'd not have known. Everything else looks fine, but I don't care about most of the little stuff. If a trip is cancelled I'd like to get my money back, if I'm stuck overnight in Newark I'd like a comp hotel and dinner ... and I'd want reimbursement of change/cancel airline fees just because I hate them so much. But luggage 8 hours delayed, an extra four hours of travel from a missed connection and that kind of foolishness is not on my radar. It just comes with the territory.

Reactions: ADM and Neil Maley

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Many are reducing benefits and you can probably expect to see more as a result of the the type of claims they are getting for Covid.
Absolutely right, Neil. Every trip we plan for the foreseeable future needs to be vetted up one side and down the other. The things we've taken for granted for years may change, and nobody is going to make much of an effort to let us know.

Reactions: ADM and Neil Maley