Amtrak Complaint

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 29, 2020
In emails that I sent to Amtrak I gave a thread of emails between myself and Amtrak complaining on errors on the part of Amtrak during our trip. Please reference the emails that I linked showing the complaints being handled. Thank you for your time.

Note: Edited by a moderator to remove attachment containing personal information; attachment has been posted in post #2 with personal information removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Attachment has been removed due to containing personal information.

This is the text of the attachment.

Reservation #: 38xxxx

Many of the complaints have been shared with Guest Relations prior to our trip:

Amtrak rep., Joe Luna said we could do the trip without the rental car(we are in our 80's and didn't want to drive), so he cancelled it; he told us we would have to get ourselves from Salt Lake City to Jackson Hole and Amtrak would "take it from there." This turned out to be untrue.

My husband has mobility problems and requested a compartment with toilet and shower. We did not get that request.

We were to arrive in SLC at 11:05 pm on June 8 but arrived the next day, so missed our night in the hotel.

Since we were not driving, we missed our stays in Yellowstone. Amtrak arranged a tour of Yellowstone but with a surcharge of $92.86.

We spent three nights in Jackson Hole instead of two of those in Yellowstone Canyon Lodge.

We received our materials too close to the trip date and had already booked our nonrefundable flight back to Chicago, so felt we had to go on our "Dream Vacation." That was a dream of ours for years and we loved the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.

Not sure we got the Senior Rate on the trip;I get it on my trips to MI. For the above reasons, I think we deserve a partial refund.

Respectfully Submitted,

Brigid Gxxxxx
7xx-xxx-xxxx

Good Afternoon Brigid,

With further looking into the reservation 38xxxx, I noticed you do not have trip protection through our company. Is it possible that you book a third party protection company?

If you are covered through a third party protection company you will want to file a claim with that company. Because you didn’t book the protection through our company we are unable to give you a refund. This is the sort of thing that insurance covers for and since wasn’t purchased with us there’s not much we can do to help unfortunately.

If you have any questions please contact the Guest Relations Department.

Thank you,
Beverly Clark

Their answer makes no sense; problems had nothing to do with our insurance. Problems were brought on by Amtrak: wrong accommodation, train arrived a day late, so we lost our night in the hotel in Salt Lake City, etc.

Your thoughts....
Gratefully, Brigid

Hola Brigid, yes it does not make sense. I would follow up with her and state that and also ask her to escalate your concerns and if she could forward them to someone in management that would be helpful. Depending on what she states I will let you know what next to do,

Thx,

Steve J. Bernas, President & CEO
Better Business Bureau of Chicago and Northern Illinois
330 N. Wabash Ave. Suite 3120
Chicago, IL 60611 p: 312-xxx-xxxx c: 312-xxx-xxxx
[email protected] www.bbb.org/chicago Start With Trust®

• Love
Reactions: jsn55
May 30, 2019
The OP threw too many issues together in one letter, in most cases without substantiation that they were caused by Amtrak. Breaking some down:

>>My husband has mobility problems and requested a compartment with toilet and shower. We did not get that request.
If that was a request, then it did not have to be honored. There are very few of these types of compartments, and they typically sell out to families. If the husband has a disability, a specific compartment type should have been reserved and purchased in advance. If the compartment received did not match what was purchased, that is grounds for a refund.

>>Amtrak rep., Joe Luna said we could do the trip without the rental car(we are in our 80's and didn't want to drive), so he cancelled it; he told us we would have to get ourselves from Salt Lake City to Jackson Hole and Amtrak would "take it from there." This turned out to be untrue.
If there was nothing in writing, there is no proof of that guidance.

>>We were to arrive in SLC at 11:05 pm on June 8 but arrived the next day, so missed our night in the hotel.
Um ... This is Amtrak. Their on-time rate is pitiful. I don't want to sound like I'm blaming the customer, but it wouldn't take much research to know that Amtrak delays for cross-country trips of several hours to entire days are typical. And, yes, that is what travel insurance covers because the rail line does not.

>>We received our materials too close to the trip date and had already booked our nonrefundable flight back to Chicago, so felt we had to go on our "Dream Vacation." That was a dream of ours for years and we loved the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.
I'm not sure what this means.

Given that, I can't think of a useful grounds to self-advocate, especially if the OP has already gone through the BBB.

Reactions: Neil Maley and smd

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Brigid, you may want to have a family member or friend assist you in making a concise list of the facts in chronological order. Often someone who doesn't know what went on is very helpful in listing all the facts. If the person reading your complaint can't understand exactly what happened, your letter will be set aside. They will not read lots of emails going back and forth, you need to summarize and lay it all out for them. It's also your job to tell Amtrak what you would like for compensation. Be polite and keep it simple. Start over with Guest Relations as instructed.