American's Responsibility

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 21, 2016
My wife and I had AAdvantage Business class tickets issued (I have the ticket numbers on file) from Rome to Chicago for their nonstop flight in Oct 2020. With all of these Covid19 changes, American has cancelled that flight and all flights for the year (FCO-ORD) as this particular routing is seasonal. We have not been notified about any of this. Evidently they unilaterally tried to rebook us through Heathrow on BA, but I see that PNR was somehow cancelled as well. What is American's liability in all of this? We'd still like to take the trip, (maybe) but I don't want to get steamrolled by some overeager agent. Do I have any leverage to get them to issue tickets that would get us home without any undo delay or additional (BA) surcharge? BTW, I've noticed that the miles used to buy the original tickets has been credited back into my AAdvantage account, but they do NOT show up in my total miles tally.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
How are you getting to Italy to fly home in October? When a flight is canceled, the airline has to do one of two things - put you on the next available flight or refund your money. I just tried to book a flight on October for your city pairs and there are flights, but not direct anymore.

Have you contacted AA and asked?

Jun 24, 2019
My wife and I had AAdvantage Business class tickets issued (I have the ticket numbers on file) from Rome to Chicago for their nonstop flight in Oct 2020. With all of these Covid19 changes, American has cancelled that flight and all flights for the year (FCO-ORD) as this particular routing is seasonal. We have not been notified about any of this. Evidently they unilaterally tried to rebook us through Heathrow on BA, but I see that PNR was somehow cancelled as well. What is American's liability in all of this? We'd still like to take the trip, (maybe) but I don't want to get steamrolled by some overeager agent. Do I have any leverage to get them to issue tickets that would get us home without any undo delay or additional (BA) surcharge? BTW, I've noticed that the miles used to buy the original tickets has been credited back into my AAdvantage account, but they do NOT show up in my total miles tally.
Our experience is that flights to and through the UK incur significantly higher taxes. On our recent cancelled trip to Lisbon via LHR, the taxes were in the thousands. So watch for that if you want to re-book.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I don't think you have to worry about getting pressured into flights you don't want, and there's no issue with American's liability. Nobody's going to be meaningfully rebooking travel for a good long while. People will buy tix and/or use miles for awards, but nobody knows if the specific flights will go or not. Nobody knows anything, actually, and there's no indication when it will be safe to travel again. In your position, I'd verify that my flight(s) are cancelled, then just wait until normal life resumes. Interesting that the miles you spent are back in your account ... if they're not in the total, where are they? I'd give them a call about that to be sure they don't disappear.

I was looking at Roma this morning, and United had some very tempting upgrade availability in Polaris from SFO. So just monitor the news and hop on this when it looks like life is resuming. Frequent flyers will find some great award bargains, but the timing will be delicate, so stay on top of it.

Nov 21, 2016
A few points I'd like to make.... I think the "extra" costs involving LHR travel is due to fees that BA imposes (used to be called fuel surcharges?), I don't think they're actually taxes. Also, we were flying ORD to EWR to PMO at the end of Sep 2020. This was a going to be a 2 week driving trip through Sicily. We'd booked UAL out (to PMO) and AA back (from FCO) using miles all the way as they were just about the most direct flights we could come up with. We'd still like to go as we're guessing it may be ok to travel at the end of Sep, but at any rate we don't want to cancel at this stage. I thought that AA had to offer us ALTERNATE travel arrangements if we pushed them, that's why I was asking about their liabilities...what do they have to do for us? So far, UAL shows the flight EWR-PMO as cancelled. No contact or alternate arrangements from either airline. All tickets would have been Business or First Class travel. Thank you all for your input.

Nov 21, 2016
One more thought....my AA miles have NOT been credited back, that's why they don't show up in the total. Looks like AA just cancelled out the trip, then tried to route through LHR, then cancelled that as well. I think they're just waiting for me to respond.