American voucher reuse?

  • Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 4, 2020
3
1
3
64
Hi All,
I am reserved to go to Hawaii mid-May for a wedding which is now postponed until July. I want to cancel and get a voucher from American (would really prefer a refund) but the bride is a hospital nurse and even the July dates are not certain as may be expected. If I get a voucher and then rebook but have to cancel again will I get another voucher or just lose the money?
Thanks,
Carol
 

Neil Maley

Moderator
Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
23,052
23,012
113
New York
www.promalvacations.com
American Airlines is now waiving cancellation fees for May yet.

Why don’t you simply cancel now and not rebook anything until you know?

Coronavirus travel updates
  • Change fees are waived if you’re traveling through May 31, 2020. You can cancel online and call when you're ready to rebook.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Skippy
Apr 4, 2020
3
1
3
64
American Airlines is now waiving cancellation fees for May yet.

Why don’t you simply cancel now and not rebook anything until you know?

Coronavirus travel updates
  • Change fees are waived if you’re traveling through May 31, 2020. You can cancel online and call when you're ready to rebook.
Thanks Neil,
I might not know until July 14 which may be too late to rebook
 

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
1,912
3,507
113
You can also wait until closer to your departure date to see if the flights are cancelled. If they are cancelled then the DOT is requiring airlines to refund passengers. Make sure to cancel your reservation before the departure time if they do not cancel the flight so that you are still eligible for a credit.
 
May 30, 2019
396
790
93
Hi All,
I am reserved to go to Hawaii mid-May for a wedding which is now postponed until July. I want to cancel and get a voucher from American (would really prefer a refund) but the bride is a hospital nurse and even the July dates are not certain as may be expected. If I get a voucher and then rebook but have to cancel again will I get another voucher or just lose the money?
Thanks,
Carol
The answer to your question based on the AA policy as it appears today (which has changed several times and is likely to change several more times during this volatile time) is ... If you cancel your May flight, you will get a voucher from AA. If you use the voucher to book a flight in July, then cancel again, you will lose the money. An underlying reason for this is that AA is offering a one-time change waiver.

Some options based on today's AA policy are:
  1. Cancel the AA flight now. Get the voucher. Wait until the July wedding is confirmed, then book the flight.
  2. [My recommendation:] Wait to see if AA cancels the mid-May flight, and expect a refund to your original credit card. Then when the July wedding is confirmed, book a new reservation.
I think your concern is that by the time you know the July wedding is going to happen, the airfare may be expensive or the flight may be sold out. That is a risk; however, if you book the July flight today, you may not be able to cancel it later.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Neil Maley
Sep 27, 2018
199
277
63
62
If I was advising one of my kids, I would wait for AA to cancel the flights, since I doubt Hawaii will be dropping their mandatory quarantine very soon. As far as rebooking, wait for the bride to book and then act. I doubt the flights will be full in July. Nothing is certain right now, but the odds are in your favor.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Neil Maley

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
9,753
10,550
113
San Francisco
I'd sit tight for a bit. Things are fluctuating every hour What I'd be concerned about if asking for a refund is that it could take months to get it. You take a no-fee credit and your money is sitting there just waiting for you to rebook, no fuss. My instinct tells me that people shouldn't be booking travel unless they know they'll make the trip if the corona isolation is over, it might be very costly to change plans. We just had a post from a bride's mother with a destination wedding planned ... they decided to not do a destination wedding and have it in their own town. What a mess ... huge problems with deposits already made. I don't want to think about all the guests who already have flights booked to the destination. Who knows what will happen in July? Some people think we'll all be taking trips in June, others think it could be many months from now. I also think that it will take some time for people to start travelling again and think perhaps fares will stay even ... maybe.

I would stay on top of any AA news, also verify with them what would happen to your money if you had to cancel the second flights. If you get to the point of being able to talk to an agent, verify everything you're told ... everything. Good luck.
 
Dec 19, 2014
635
1,762
93
48
If you rebook the July dates, and have to cancel, then you will be subject to the cancellation and rebooking policy at THAT time.

If COVID is still disrupting travel, then there may be a more generous rebooking policy
If COVID has been contained, then you would be subject to the standard rebooking policy (which for highly discounted fares means you have to pay a substantial change fee + fare difference)
Since no one knows how the COVID situation will turn out, then I would not re-book the July dates until you are certain it works for you. Even if the fare goes up in the future, the "fare difference" would be the cheapest "insurance" you can take out.

*** end of objective advice ***

My personal take is that the general public will be very very wary to travel this summer due to fears of COVID and the economic toll (look at the job situation). Thus, I don't see airlines raising prices much.
 
Sep 27, 2018
199
277
63
62
I'd sit tight for a bit. Things are fluctuating every hour What I'd be concerned about if asking for a refund is that it could take months to get it. You take a no-fee credit and your money is sitting there just waiting for you to rebook, no fuss. My instinct tells me that people shouldn't be booking travel unless they know they'll make the trip if the corona isolation is over, it might be very costly to change plans. We just had a post from a bride's mother with a destination wedding planned ... they decided to not do a destination wedding and have it in their own town. What a mess ... huge problems with deposits already made. I don't want to think about all the guests who already have flights booked to the destination. Who knows what will happen in July? Some people think we'll all be taking trips in June, others think it could be many months from now. I also think that it will take some time for people to start travelling again and think perhaps fares will stay even ... maybe.

I would stay on top of any AA news, also verify with them what would happen to your money if you had to cancel the second flights. If you get to the point of being able to talk to an agent, verify everything you're told ... everything. Good luck.
The Middle Seat Column in the WSJ explained how prices will not jump because as travel comes back, the airlines will be adding capacity which will help to hold down prices. So I would say there is no rush to book. Even for Thanksgiving I think air travel will be moderate as people wait for a virus resurgence.
 
Apr 4, 2020
3
1
3
64
Thanks all,
Based on your responses I am going to wait to cancel to see if AA cancels the flight.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jsn55