American River Cruise

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jbb

Mar 21, 2016
Nebraska
On September 4, 2019 I scheduled and paid $1,500 down for a Columbia River Cruise on American Cruise Lines.The balance is due on June 5, 2020 for a September 19, 2020 cruise. My AAA agent told me, a couple weeks ago that American Cruise Lines has cancelled May cruises.
She said to wait until closer to the sail date to decide what to do. Of course, I want to wait for them to cancel my cruise but they only seem to be cancelling one month ahead. Should I pay the balance on June 5th & risk losing way more money than just the down payment, then hope it's cancelled?

Dec 27, 2014
NoVA
If the cruise cancels the sailing, you are more likely to get a full refund. If you cancel, you will be subject to whatever cancellation policy is in effect at the time.

Jan 30, 2018
We are in the same boat (forgive the pun) for a Mississippi River cruise with American Queen Steamboat Company. Cruise scheduled for mid-August, payment due mid-June. They are planning to restart on June 21st, but even if they do start sailing we may not feel safe to go. If we do not make the final payment we will lose $500 as an administrative cancellation fee.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your travel agent is giving you the facts, only you can decide what to do. What I would look at is if the cruise line is refunding the amounts paid if they cancel.

Why don’t you try and move it to next year? Then you don’t have to make final payment now and have plenty of time to see what happens.

These ships don’t have thousands of people on them, I’d feel safer on one of those than an ocean cruise.

jbb

Mar 21, 2016
Nebraska
We are in the same boat (forgive the pun) for a Mississippi River cruise with American Queen Steamboat Company. Cruise scheduled for mid-August, payment due mid-June. They are planning to restart on June 21st, but even if they do start sailing we may not feel safe to go. If we do not make the final payment we will lose $500 as an administrative cancellation fee.
Thank you for this info, t
Your travel agent is giving you the facts, only you can decide what to do. What I would look at is if the cruise line is refunding the amounts paid if they cancel.

Why don’t you try and move it to next year? Then you don’t have to make final payment now and have plenty of time to see what happens.

These ships don’t have thousands of people on them, I’d feel safer on one of those than an ocean cruise.
That is a good option. I'm going to look into that. Thank you.

Reactions: Neil Maley