American Express Serve Card

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 19, 2020
Woke up this morning to a very upsetting situation. I have had an American Express Setve prepaid card for 6+ years. I have several sub accounts one of which is my significant others. This morning after his unemployment was deposited into my account I got on to check my balance and a message saying that they had permanently suspended my account do to violation of their policy.
I immediately started making calls to find out what was going on. 15 calls later and 2 different numbers I was told that a deposit was made and they were "investigating". Now my SO has been having his payroll and unemployment deposited in my account for 5 years with no issues, in fact he just had a deposit done on Friday.
I was told they would have a decision in 1 to 2 days and that they were going to send me an email right after I ended the call to tell me what happened. I have not received the email still. I did some searching and this has happened to other people. Between the main account, subaccounts, and the reserve account I have over $1,300 that I can't access.
I decided to not only reach out to the BBB to file a complaint but I also sent an email to the contacts found in another post here for the same issue. I have not heard back from the email but the BBB is investigating.
I am a single mom of 4 kids I cannot afford to not have access to my money. I am so frustrated and stressed out to the max. Other reports of this still aren't resolved and it has me in a panic.

Nov 22, 2019
Woke up this morning to a very upsetting situation. I have had an American Express Setve prepaid card for 6+ years. I have several sub accounts one of which is my significant others. This morning after his unemployment was deposited into my account I got on to check my balance and a message saying that they had permanently suspended my account do to violation of their policy.
I immediately started making calls to find out what was going on. 15 calls later and 2 different numbers I was told that a deposit was made and they were "investigating". Now my SO has been having his payroll and unemployment deposited in my account for 5 years with no issues, in fact he just had a deposit done on Friday.
I was told they would have a decision in 1 to 2 days and that they were going to send me an email right after I ended the call to tell me what happened. I have not received the email still. I did some searching and this has happened to other people. Between the main account, subaccounts, and the reserve account I have over $1,300 that I can't access.
I decided to not only reach out to the BBB to file a complaint but I also sent an email to the contacts found in another post here for the same issue. I have not heard back from the email but the BBB is investigating.
I am a single mom of 4 kids I cannot afford to not have access to my money. I am so frustrated and stressed out to the max. Other reports of this still aren't resolved and it has me in a panic.
The BBB will not investigate, but forward your question/complaint to the company, wait for an answer, then yours, etc...

Why your SO doesn't have an account to receive his unemployment and paycheck in the past 5 years? He should opens his own, especially if it is free. You should avoid any unusual/suspiscious situations (direct deposit from government, not at your name but to your account, addresses not updated). There have been so much frauds to unemployment recently, especially in WA state, so they are investigating more than usual.
It says here that the names should match (https://www.serve.com/legal/AmexServe/#suspension)
"In connection with non-tax refunds (i) the name and social security number associated with each payment must match the name or social security number associated with your Serve Account."

May 19, 2020
Did you get it figured out? Same thing happened to me last night.
no and now i am being told to have to send a letter (snail mail) to some other company to get a response as to what they will do with my money. in the mean time i am left completly broke and with no real answers.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have company contacts for Amex:

We have many complaints about similar problems.

But for our OP- I don’t see anything in the Serve agreement allowing direct deposit of money in someone else’s name into your account. So you may just not have been caught until now.

There is much fraud that can happen with allowing money in a third party’s name being credited to your account. And your SO can rightfully claim they never authorized the transfers because if they never signed - they didn’t authorize it.

Plus if there is any type of a legal claim on someone else’s money - such as owing child support- this could be considered a way of hiding assets.

What I would suggest to the OP is to contact AMEX and get your SO their own account and get their money in their own name.

Jun 24, 2019
To our OP: Open a real bank account at a bank or credit union near you, where you can walk in the front door and actually speak to a person about any issues. Your entire financial life is now tied up in a piece of plastic and speaking to the folks who run the plastic is difficult, frustrating when you can get though, and unsatisfactory.

May 19, 2020
We have company contacts for Amex:

We have many complaints about similar problems.

But for our OP- I don’t see anything in the Serve agreement allowing direct deposit of money in someone else’s name into your account. So you may just not have been caught until now.

There is much fraud that can happen with allowing money in a third party’s name being credited to your account. And your SO can rightfully claim they never authorized the transfers because if they never signed - they didn’t authorize it.

Plus if there is any type of a legal claim on someone else’s money - such as owing child support- this could be considered a way of hiding assets.

What I would suggest to the OP is to contact AMEX and get your SO their own account and get their money in their own name.
There’s nothing that says you can’t either

Jun 24, 2019
I'm not going to waste time researching the laws which apply to a licensed money transfer service of a corporation. Nor will I read through the depositor agreement.

I write only to observe that no bank I know of will accept a deposit into a customer's account of a check made payable to another person where that check has not been endorsed over to the account holder. Even if endorsed over, if the bank is concerned about the deposit, it can say no. Not only that, I have personal experience with Wells Fargo that it will not accept a cash deposit in a customer's account by someone other than the customer. And last week Bank of America rejected a deposit into my account of a check from a brand new account at another bank from an LLC in which Bank of America knows I'm a member. Something in the check upset the bank's computers. And monitoring risk and deterring money laundering are required by the Patriot Act and the regulations thereunder.

I understand that there are a substantial number of people who are unbanked, and for whom getting a real bank account is a problem. Carrying cash is not the solution. Neither is trying to make a Serve card into a bank account. I'm sympathetic with our OP's situation, but this is fitting a square peg into a round hole which invariably leads to problems. Our OP's significant other may well have given the unemployment office instructions to deposit the check to OP's Serve card. But Serve does not know that.

Our OP should write as recommended to the contacts.