American Express Serve card Victimizing customers who have been hacked

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 27, 2017
I canceled my SPG American Express this year for a variety of reasons, mostly for AMEX's lousy customer service. Set up Auto-Pay and they took their $$$ about a week after they issued the monthly statements. Our other credit card companies take their $$$ on the due date, usually four weeks after the statement is issued. Very happy Costco dropped them and went to Citi. Our rewards are far better with Citi than Amex. Thank you for posting the AMEX contacts. I may need them for a recurring charge for a now-cancelled (I hope) magazine subscription .

Reactions: jsn55
Apr 30, 2019
I have an update on my dilemma, I received a telephone call from the Executive Offices of American Express yesterday. I spoke with a very nice woman who said that the CEO of American Express was in receipt of my email and that she would be researching my problem with my account and to give her at least three days to get back to me. I thanked her for contacting me and settled myself to wait. This afternoon, the 3rd of October, I received a text alert from American Express Serve informing me that the balance for my Serve card was now $301.77 (the three hundred dollars was back) I called customer service who said that my account was open and confirmed the balance. I promptly asked to be issued a new card on my account due to the compromised status of my current card. They told me I would have a new card within 10 days. I have yet to receive an apology, but at least I have been made whole.
If at anyway possible do you still have the number from the executive office because I've been waiting since February 4 an keep getting declined submitted everything too them also a police report and still nothing

Reactions: Charmaine517
Sep 26, 2019
Not sure why my posts were removed but appears I'm still experiencing issues with Serve. I've contacted cooperate and the fraud dept and going in circles.

What can I do?

Apr 15, 2020
Hi Guys!

So I ordered the American Express Serve prepaid card and received it on 4/3. On 4/7 I linked my BOA prepaid card to my serve to supply the card with funds. After American Express verified my BOA card, I transferred $175 to the serve. I paid 3 bills totaling to $100 and I took $50 out of an ATM leaving me with $25 in the account. The following day I log onto my account to monitor and add funds. My password had been changed, so I go through the “forgot my password” prompts from the app. Once I put in my card information and requested a email to verify my identity. A message popped up that said “Your session has expired due to inactivity for 10 minutes.” I hadn’t been on the app for 10 minutes. I go the website and get the same message. I try a different method where I am asked for my security question. I get another message stating “There’s an error with our system try later.”
I then call the 1-800-954-0559 number. The first 2 days I was on hold for 2 hours and no one ever answered. Everyday since then when I call the customer service number, give my information and attempt to wait for a customer service agent, the call center then hangs up on me after the first ring.

To add insult to injury, the 3 bills I paid were returned from Amex and were not refunded to my BOA card. So Amex Serve just flat out stole $125 dollars from me. It has been 8 days of me trying to speak with someone to access my account to find out what happened and what’s going on. I haven’t received any calls or emails regarding the matter. I called their credit card and personal bank customer service lines to be directly transferred. I waited 44 minutes yesterday and they hung up on me. I’m currrently waiting on the phone now for 52 minutes and still nothing. Every time I call, and put my information in, they hang up on me. I have no idea where to start or how to rectify this. They have no email to escalate a situation like this up to. This is a straight up SCAM. We’re in the middle of a global pandemic and they’re playing with peoples money.

Can someone please tell me what my next steps should be? I plan on writing the direct mail address on their site because that’s the only information they have. After reading this forum I’m for sure going to file a dispute with the FBI. Too many people are experiencing the exact same kind of fraud from this prepaid card. In the meantime, any quicker resolutions of getting my money back?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Where can I find the company’s contact page? I keep seeing people say it was posted on this forum but I don’t see it.

Apr 15, 2020
Thanks Neil! I can’t read your full message, it just takes me to the contact page when I try to continue to read. But I’m gathering you’re suggesting to not contact everyone, and don’t start with the highest person on the list.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
"My password had been changed, so I go through the “forgot my password” prompts from the app. " This suggests that your account was hacked and your information changed. Only you should be able to change your PW. If it was changed not by you then someone else accessed your account and Amex picked this up and froze your account.

It is not clear why you opened the Amex account when you have a BOA account. Why do you not use BOA to pay your bills?

You should stop calling and use these contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/american-express/

Apr 15, 2020
"My password had been changed, so I go through the “forgot my password” prompts from the app. " This suggests that your account was hacked and your information changed. Only you should be able to change your PW. If it was changed not by you then someone else accessed your account and Amex picked this up and froze your account.

It is not clear why you opened the Amex account when you have a BOA account. Why do you not use BOA to pay your bills?

You should stop calling and use these contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/american-express/
I have a Citibank account but it had been hacked at least 5-6 times so I just opened a new account, and recently spotted fraudulent activity. I’m on state disability right now so they can only pay me through a prepaid BOA. I was afraid to continue to find my Citibank account because of the fraudulent activity so I looked into Amex. I wanted a prepaid card to avoid the whole “banking system” but I needed a bank account to pay my bills. Credit card companies won’t allow you to pay with a prepaid card, but the serve card has a direct deposit, routing and account number for banking purposes. I was trying to be crafty but ended up getting into the biggest headache of my life.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I have a Citibank account but it had been hacked at least 5-6 times so I just opened a new account, and recently spotted fraudulent activity. I’m on state disability right now so they can only pay me through a prepaid BOA. I was afraid to continue to find my Citibank account because of the fraudulent activity so I looked into Amex. I wanted a prepaid card to avoid the whole “banking system” but I needed a bank account to pay my bills. Credit card companies won’t allow you to pay with a prepaid card, but the serve card has a direct deposit, routing and account number for banking purposes. I was trying to be crafty but ended up getting into the biggest headache of my life.
I'm sorry you have had so much difficulty. The fact that your other account has been hacked many times suggests that there is a security flaw in your computer or phone that is being used to hack your accounts. If you have a friend who is knowledgeable about computer and smartphone security have them look at your devices. If you have not done so you need to use a security program on both your computer and smartphone, and change your passwords accessing both devices.

Jun 24, 2019
Open a Bank of America checking account that you can link to your state disability or link to the card. Then you are only dealing with one company.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If your accounts are being hacked like this, you might have malware on your computer or whatever you are using to access your accounts. Have you give a virus scan?

Apr 15, 2020
I'm sorry you have had so much difficulty. The fact that your other account has been hacked many times suggests that there is a security flaw in your computer or phone that is being used to hack your accounts. If you have a friend who is knowledgeable about computer and smartphone security have them look at your devices. If you have not done so you need to use a security program on both your computer and smartphone, and change your passwords accessing both devices.
This is extremely helpful information, thank you so much Neil!