America by Rail questions

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 4, 2020
I received another form letter from America by Rail today informing its customers that it is "cancelling all tours, terminating our staff, ceasing operations, and closing our business."
The letter further states, in part:
" We are pleased to hear that many of you have been successful in securing refunds by way of credit card chargebacks or are awaiting word on your insurance claims. ABR needs to wait until that process is complete, so that we can remove those customers from the customer payable list, which will maximize the refunds available to those who are not eligible for such third-party reimbursements."

I am making the assumption that this situation is still in the hands of my credit card company and there is nothing more for me to do. It seems that America by Rail may not contest the credit card chargeback. Am I correct?

Thanks again

Jun 24, 2019
I received another form letter from America by Rail today informing its customers that it is "cancelling all tours, terminating our staff, ceasing operations, and closing our business."
" We are pleased to hear that many of you have been successful in securing refunds by way of credit card chargebacks or are awaiting word on your insurance claims. ABR needs to wait until that process is complete, so that we can remove those customers from the customer payable list, which will maximize the refunds available to those who are not eligible for such third-party reimbursements."

I am making the assumption that this situation is still in the hands of my credit card company and there is nothing more for me to do. It seems that America by Rail may not contest the credit card chargeback. Am I correct?

Thanks again
What a load of nonsense. When a bank concludes a credit card chargeback in favor of a customer, it charges it back to the vendor. If ABR owes you money, it does not make a difference to its books if it writes a check to you for the refund or writes a check to your credit card company. As to insurers, unless you had a CFAR policy, the insurance company is unlikely to pay you. However, if your insurer pays you, it then owns your claim to the extent of the payment (the lawyers call it subrogation), and the insurer can seek recovery from ABR.

If ABR is indeed bankrupt, i.e., it is insolvent, it should file for bankruptcy. That will leave lots of people, insurers, credit card companies, and customers like you, unhappy. Banks and insurers, who usually don't like to pay claims, now have another reason to say no.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

Thanks again
You should provide that information immediately to your credit card company.